Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you live in NE Ohio, namely in the Youngstown area?
I was born here and love it. My family is here and cost of living is cheap. 5 15.63%
I moved here. I like the area and don't plan on ever leaving! 4 12.50%
I was born here and hate it. I feel trapped here for various reasons. 6 18.75%
I moved here and boy did I make a mistake!!!!! 5 15.63%
I have already left. 12 37.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 06:55 PM

353 posts, read 1,706,235 times

Advertisements

I am interested to see why people live in the Youngstown area. Please let everyone know how you feel and participate in this poll!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 07:22 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,134 times
I grew up here. I have lived in Atlanta, and a few places around Pittsburgh. I decided that the grass wasn't greener on the other side. I made a decision to commute 60 miles each way, just so I could put my kids in a better school.

My job, and seniority allow me to live anywhere in the Country. I have been to many other stations. I chose this area. If they ever close Pit, I will commute every week, and keep my house here. I like it.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:17 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
I answered "I moved here. I like the area and don't plan on ever leaving!" but it's not totally accurate. I never planned to stay here for the rest of my life.

Even before I knew where I was going after I graduated from college, I knew I wasn't going to stay there for the rest of my life. I still don't know where I want to settle down for the long-term. Maybe I'll never completely settle down in one place until after I retire. Then, I hope to retire to the Massillon/Canton area--the village of Navarre would be great. (I hope it's as nice in 35-40 years, when it's time to retire)

Old 06-30-2008, 10:45 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
I grew up here. I have lived in Atlanta, and a few places around Pittsburgh. I decided that the grass wasn't greener on the other side. I made a decision to commute 60 miles each way, just so I could put my kids in a better school.

My job, and seniority allow me to live anywhere in the Country. I have been to many other stations. I chose this area. If they ever close Pit, I will commute every week, and keep my house here. I like it.
Just wondering if you are with an airline/which one? I was based in PIT, PHL, and BOS and commuted to all these places, and my hubby still does. Commuting really stinks!

Old 06-30-2008, 10:58 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Just wondering if you are with an airline/which one? I was based in PIT, PHL, and BOS and commuted to all these places, and my hubby still does. Commuting really stinks!
I'm still working in Pit. USAir

Old 01-07-2009, 01:18 AM

498 posts, read 1,507,334 times
wow, a lot of people have left. i'm not surprised.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:09 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,373,579 times
I think the poll answers were set up so as to provide all negative feed back.
I for one chose to retire here from a southern state and enjoy the pleasant weather....well till Nov then I set sail for fl till march.
y'all dont know what a great place N.E.Ohio is .
I have talked to city councilman about turning the area into a retirement Mecca,plenty of golfing,boating and winter sports too.
the idea of bringing jobs to the area seems to have slipped the leaders minds so why not a ret.community?

Old 01-21-2009, 08:21 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
I think the poll answers were set up so as to provide all negative feed back.
I for one chose to retire here from a southern state and enjoy the pleasant weather....well till Nov then I set sail for fl till march.
y'all dont know what a great place N.E.Ohio is .
I have talked to city councilman about turning the area into a retirement Mecca,plenty of golfing,boating and winter sports too.
the idea of bringing jobs to the area seems to have slipped the leaders minds so why not a ret.community?
NE Ohio has a lot going for it, but you hit on an important point, the local leadership is and mostly remains terrible.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:00 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
I am interested to see why people live in the Youngstown area. Please let everyone know how you feel and participate in this poll!
I have lived in the NE OH area for almost 40 years (barring a two year stay in S. CA). I chose - "moved here and made a mistake" - although I was "plopped" here by my parent (mother) who moved from Europe (along with my baby brother) at the end of 1968. I can't say that I made a mistake because as you don't get to pick where you live when you're six years old.

Now, I DID move back from S. CA (in the early 80's) to have our kids grow up around family/grandparents. If we would not have done that, and would have stayed in S. CA instead, we would have had community colleges that were that were practically free and state colleges that were very cheap at the time. We could have graduated from college and bought a house that would probably be worth much more than housing is worth in NE OH. (We did graduate from college in Ohio). My first two kids wouldn't be graduating with big students loans to pay off like they do now. However, I don't think it was a mistake to move back and raise our kids around family - family - that's it, not NE OH, but FAMILY. Now that everyone is gone (passed away) - I really don't see any need to stay here in this cold, arctic tundra. For those that don't think that this is an arctic tundra, I applaud you and give you credit. I think it's an arctic tundra by my standards. Basically, Mike, I can't wait to get the hello out of here and take our family with us.

Last edited by Donna7; 01-21-2009 at 11:48 AM..

Old 01-23-2009, 10:33 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times
Default Just Some Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
I have lived in the NE OH area for almost 40 years (barring a two year stay in S. CA). I chose - "moved here and made a mistake" - although I was "plopped" here by my parent (mother) who moved from Europe (along with my baby brother) at the end of 1968. I can't say that I made a mistake because as you don't get to pick where you live when you're six years old.

Now, I DID move back from S. CA (in the early 80's) to have our kids grow up around family/grandparents. If we would not have done that, and would have stayed in S. CA instead, we would have had community colleges that were that were practically free and state colleges that were very cheap at the time. We could have graduated from college and bought a house that would probably be worth much more than housing is worth in NE OH. (We did graduate from college in Ohio). My first two kids wouldn't be graduating with big students loans to pay off like they do now. However, I don't think it was a mistake to move back and raise our kids around family - family - that's it, not NE OH, but FAMILY. Now that everyone is gone (passed away) - I really don't see any need to stay here in this cold, arctic tundra. For those that don't think that this is an arctic tundra, I applaud you and give you credit. I think it's an arctic tundra by my standards. Basically, Mike, I can't wait to get the hello out of here and take our family with us.
I think your bias against this area has you overestimating how good things are elsewhere. Nothing is free, not even in California. Housing prices in California were overinflated, but now the market has collapsed, even worse than it has here. Would you have been one of the millions of people who were bitter about buying high and selling low?

The weather is not arctic nor is it a tundra. There are about 3-4 rough months of winter, and then you have three other seasons. A lot of northern cities have that type of a weather pattern. And I'd rather put up with a little cold and snow in the winter than worry about when the next big earthquake, hurricane, or tornado was going to hit. But that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio