U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 01:52 PM

437 posts, read 26,595 times
Default Pssst! There's gold in Ohio

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0721051gold1.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 12:00 PM

3,021 posts, read 16,019,219 times
It is clear this guy is a member of a gang called the Warriors.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 49,887 times
Cool I am looking

I have been reading about Gold in Ohio. Using the glacial maps it would hold some interest. Probably placer and dust. I will pan this spring and summer local creeks.
Just for fun .

Old 01-21-2007, 02:31 PM

1,856 posts, read 5,685,411 times
I got excited when this thread first appeared. The smoking gun link looked like it went to somethng stupid like huffing paint, so I lost interest and ignored it.

However, if somebody is up for a discussion that's really about gold in Ohio, I'm all for it.
I've been digging in Ohio, and Pa. since 1992. All of the gold that I have found is very small specs. I've been told that the farther west you go, the bigger it gets from not being pushed as far. You are correct about all gold in Ohio being placer gold. ( For all the people new to this it's pronounced "plasser", and means that the gold originated somewhere else and was moved here by mother nature. Lode gold is still in its original location, which is volcanic areas ). Our gold was pushed here by the Wisconsian glacier about 14000 years ago. Our gold originated in Canada.

Ok, now that everybody is up to speed, let's talk about gold in Ohio.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:52 PM

This link goes to a prospectors personal webpage. It shows some really good samples of what he has found around the country. Towards the bottom there is a picture of gold from Bellville, Ohio. It came from the Swank farm. (Really nice guy). You will notice that some of the gold pics are more yellow than others. That is because of the other minerals mixed with the gold. The reddish tint in Nevada is caused by copper. Georgia has some of the purest gold around. It has a very bright yellow lustre.

http://members3.clubphoto.com/jimjim262509/386994/guest.phtml (broken link)

I'll look for a link that shows the largest gold specimen ever found in Ohio. It was found near Bellville in Clear Fork Creek. The quartz was as big as a football and contained about 6 ounces of gold, If memory serves me correctly. I'll try to find a link.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:00 PM

3,021 posts, read 16,019,219 times
Default H,mmm should I start digging behind the barn???

I know NC was one of the hot gold areas way back when before they hit it big in CA. Didn't know Ohio was ever considered a place to look very hard. That soil in SE Ohio is going to be hard to process by just about any method.

Lots of clays, shale and limestone. Maybe I should go out to some of the local sawmills and look in those streams.

I figure the old timers must have looked pretty hard, did they miss a lot????

Old 01-22-2007, 04:07 PM

I would only bother looking in the glaciated areas. The moraine terminus would be the most promising areas. Sand and gravel pits are your best bets.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:22 AM

2 posts, read 47,993 times
I think Wayne County has 2 big sand and gravel pits. One is towards Lodi (no California, but maybe not a coincident, the other is in Wooster.

I spent a few months in California mountains, Big Bear I believe, looking for gold. Had big dredges though and some small slushes. I did find some decent nuggets pulling grass roots from banks and using a turkey baster to put water in some crevices in some rock banks.

Always wondered if there was gold in Ohio.

Here is the it in Lodi

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...86517&t=h&om=1

Old 07-10-2009, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 46,037 times
Default gold in n.west ohio?

just wondering if anyone has found any gold in northwest ohio? more specifically, defiance, williams, fulton or lucas counties? Any color? any luck? anyone?

Old 07-13-2009, 11:24 PM

82 posts, read 232,405 times
Doc a friend of mine harvested about 5 ounces last year in Defiance & Lucas, haven't heard about gold anywhere else. He focuses on river beds and quarries, and only on weekends but his first year was promising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio