U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-24-2009, 11:15 AM

2,204 posts, read 4,466,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
i totally dis-agree with some of the previous posts.. no one from c-bus,cinci or central/southern ohio talks anything like a clevelander.. to us the rest of ohio sounds "country-ish" "southern" or whatever , but its very different... but chicago,detroit,cleveland all sound the same.
No one gives a damn how we sound to NEO'ians.

The point was, that it isn't southern ... hence the southerners calling you on your error.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 12:29 PM

217 posts, read 416,113 times
^^^^man some of ya'll in cincy have a southern twang in your accent though..dayton too...i went to school with this girl from dayton..us in cleveland we say ball like "ball" but people from dayton and cinn say "baal" like some one from alabama or something...and ya'll talk just a little slower..up here we say "salty" it sounds like "sawdee" but when i heard people from cinn they say it like "soulty"
or we say "soft" and ya'll kinda say "souf"

Old 02-24-2009, 12:35 PM

3,581 posts, read 2,189,238 times
Now that makes it easy to understand.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:45 PM

77 posts, read 205,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
All I know is I can pick out a real Ohioan by the way they say Ohio. It's Ohia. Know what I mean?
No, I don't know what you mean.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:45 PM

3,171 posts, read 6,765,634 times
I don't say Ohia and don't know anyone else that does either.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:46 PM

Humm You arent from the same woods I am then, sorry. Didnt mean to sound like we all say it like that.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin Eater View Post
No, I don't know what you mean.

sorry.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:56 PM

2,204 posts, read 4,466,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir_Abdul View Post
^^^^man some of ya'll in cincy have a southern twang in your accent though..dayton too...i went to school with this girl from dayton..us in cleveland we say ball like "ball" but people from dayton and cinn say "baal" like some one from alabama or something...and ya'll talk just a little slower..up here we say "salty" it sounds like "sawdee" but when i heard people from cinn they say it like "soulty"
or we say "soft" and ya'll kinda say "souf"
A) No one here says sawdee. lol
B) No one says y'all.
C) No one in Dayton has a southern accent (obviously this fades the further you go into rural areas).
D) No one here says "souf." lol

Obviously, news anchors go through speech training, so this is a good vid, because it has many interviews from locals from different places. The word "ball" is mentioned twice with no "baal" sound. Just a little FYI, the word "baal" is pronounced "bail."

YouTube - Cincinnati Reds Fans React to Griffey Trade

Old 02-24-2009, 01:15 PM

217 posts, read 416,113 times
everyone says "ya'll" including "ya'll" but thats not what i said..and my man russel is from 13th and vine st. there and he's country as hell of course you dont hear it if your from there..and we say sawdee..but when my man came up here and started using are slang you could tell he wasnt from here because of the accent..i went to cleveland job corps, and i was exposed to people from all over ohio and michigan..and you ask anyone from cleveland, akron, toledo,detroit, flint..cinncinatti and dayton were the only ones with an accent..all the rest of us sound identical, i cant even tell just by hearing some one speak if their from detroit..but i can hear that natti accent a mile away...not trying to affend, ya'll it would be the samething if us in cleveland or detroit go to new york..we would swear up and down we dont have an accent, but they'll be looking at us like "why ya'll talk so funny"......

Old 02-24-2009, 01:21 PM

4,983 posts, read 5,340,783 times
I moved to AZ and I consider Ohio mainly the midwest, but I agree with those here that say Cleveland is like a northern or lake city, because I grew up there, while Columbus is definitely Midwest, because I lived there too, and Cincinnati has a bit of the south, a river city feeling to it.

I get tired, though, of people slamming the midwest. Times are just tough there, well, all over now, because of traitorous corporate practices of not employing Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio