U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-13-2008, 08:55 PM

23 posts, read 44,858 times
Talking Ok, One more question about Lordstown

I was able to make the drive from Fort Wayne to Lordstown this past Friday and Saturday. I visited most of the areas I wanted to such as Newton Falls, Warren, Niles, Howland, Poland, Canfield, Boardman, Cortland, Austintown and of course Lordstown. I was able to navigate pretty well around the towns and loved the historical feel to each town I went through. I spent some time talking to a local women who worked at the hotel I stayed at and she gave me her opinion and I found it helpful. Cortlandgirl, I really loved Cortland. I told my husband if we move there, we would have to get a boat. That lake is beautiful!! I was a little discouraged about the look of the schools, the elementary espeically. Maybe the inside looks a little better. I won't hold that against them if the academics are good. I loved the neighborhood right around the high school. I could see raising my kids there. I liked Poland and Canfield also but it seems like those two towns along with Howland have higher taxes. Am I right in saying that? Also are Poland and Canfield "Dry" towns?

My husband will be making the drive with a friend of ours who is also considering the move and will be checking out the areas I have mentioned. One area that I wasn't sure of and would like him to check out is the South Range Area. I'm not really sure where this is. Could someone fill me in so he can see it?

Overall, I was pleased with the area and glad I went to see it for myself. I now have a better idea of where everyone on here is talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 12:28 AM

3,170 posts, read 6,333,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLL071999 View Post
I was able to make the drive from Fort Wayne to Lordstown this past Friday and Saturday. I visited most of the areas I wanted to such as Newton Falls, Warren, Niles, Howland, Poland, Canfield, Boardman, Cortland, Austintown and of course Lordstown. I was able to navigate pretty well around the towns and loved the historical feel to each town I went through. I spent some time talking to a local women who worked at the hotel I stayed at and she gave me her opinion and I found it helpful. Cortlandgirl, I really loved Cortland. I told my husband if we move there, we would have to get a boat. That lake is beautiful!! I was a little discouraged about the look of the schools, the elementary espeically. Maybe the inside looks a little better. I won't hold that against them if the academics are good. I loved the neighborhood right around the high school. I could see raising my kids there. I liked Poland and Canfield also but it seems like those two towns along with Howland have higher taxes. Am I right in saying that? Also are Poland and Canfield "Dry" towns?

My husband will be making the drive with a friend of ours who is also considering the move and will be checking out the areas I have mentioned. One area that I wasn't sure of and would like him to check out is the South Range Area. I'm not really sure where this is. Could someone fill me in so he can see it?

Overall, I was pleased with the area and glad I went to see it for myself. I now have a better idea of where everyone on here is talking about.
I'm glad you had a safe trip. I'm sure you are relieved to have finally have seen the area! Just curious, which hotel did you stay at? I know a couple of girls who work at the Holiday Inn Express in Howland.

I'm so glad you like the area and my hometown. Even if you don't move to Cortland it's convienent to have a boat. Aren't you glad Mosquito Lake doesn't live up to it's name???? I know a lot of people in Howland, Warren and other areas that have boats, in most cases you would probably only be 20 minutes from many of the lakes in our area.

I totally understand what you are saying about Cortland's (Lakeview's) school buildings. I'm not sure if you saw Bazetta Elementary, it looks somewhat similar to Cortland Elementary (i believe K-2 go to Bazetta and 3-5 go to Cortland). Both elementary schools were built in the early 1900s i think, but both have also had a ton of remodeling done. I think they are much nicer on the inside. Lakeview Middle school is the newest building in the district. I think it was built in 1977 or 78 and it houses the 6-8th graders. I never thought the high school looked that bad until i walked over there to do the photo-tour the other day. Man did it look crummy!!! Especially when i see the new schools in Warren. Anyway, i believe the high school was built in the early 60s, there our two gyms in there, one original, one built in the mid 80s, the auditorium was built around '96 and the new library/media center was built in the late 90s as well. I know they would like to replace the elementary schools, but i don't think that will be happening soon w/the way the economy is.

I'm not sure about the taxes, but here are the rates for Trumbull Trumbull County Auditor (http://www.auditor.co.trumbull.oh.us/auditor_taxrates.htm - broken link)

Oh yeah, and if you have any other thoughts or impressions i would love to hear them. Did you get to try any good food?? What about the mall areas? Just wondering how they stack up. Many of my friends that have moved out of town think the Eastwood Mall sucks, but it's fine for the shopping i need to do.

Good luck on your search!

Old 07-14-2008, 07:56 AM

23 posts, read 44,858 times
As always, thanks for the information. I was just fine with the Eastwood Mall, and I think I would be able to do all of my shopping there. You asked if I got to try any food, I guess I wasn't aware that there were things I should be trying. Any suggestions?

Old 07-14-2008, 10:06 AM

3,170 posts, read 6,333,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLL071999 View Post
As always, thanks for the information. I was just fine with the Eastwood Mall, and I think I would be able to do all of my shopping there. You asked if I got to try any food, I guess I wasn't aware that there were things I should be trying. Any suggestions?
There are a lot of great places that i would suggest. Thankfully, we still have a lot of family run restaurants around here which is nice. Here are some of my favorites:
Alberini's Restaurant- Dining at its finest! Italian

cafe 422 loc: Warren, OH - Google Maps

Salvatore's Italian Grill - Home Italian

The Mocha House The best cheesecake!!!

http://buenavistacafe.biz/ Greek Fried Chicken

the hot dog shoppe loc: Warren, OH - Google Maps This is a must!!!

sunrise inn loc: Warren, OH - Google Maps Briar Hill Pizza

Welcome To Enzo's

Yamato Japanese Restaurant: Home

brothers pizza loc: Cortland, OH - Google Maps I'm a big fan of Brother's, they have locations in Warren, Cortland, Champion, and Vienna.........be sure to try the Italian sub! Oh yeah, and their homemade bread is the best!

Caballo Bayo Mexican Restaurant Mexican

Avalon Inn - Northeast Ohio Full Service Resort (http://www.avaloninn.com/dining.htm - broken link) The Chophouse....beautiful view over looking the golf course.

Leo's Ristorante

mary m's loc: Warren, OH - Google Maps Known for their fish and Reuben sandwiches. Here is their to go location in Niles Restaurant, Reuben Sandwiches, Hamburgers - Niles, OH, the also have a to go location in Howland, but be sure to visit the main restaurant on Parkman Rd. (422).

That's all i can think of for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio