Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2009, 05:13 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times

Advertisements

As far as traffic on my morning commute, we average about seeing 10 cars coming towards us each morning. I ride-share with the counselor most days who works at the same place I do. He is a dufus. A nice guy, but he is strictly small-town born and raised, which means he has some out-dated world-views if you know what I mean.

I sometimes peruse the sports threads. OU is having a bad year. I don't care for the OU coach. Ohio State is a perennial power house. Ever since I was a kid, we have heard about Ohio State football. But I don't think OU has ever played Ohio State.

And I don't think Alaska has a Div IA school does it? I know Ohio has a lot of sports teams.

Well, got to get ready for that morning commute. Ya'll take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 06:26 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Geez, EB, hope the Ohio Tourism doesn't use your post in it's travel brochure.

"Lookee here, this heah drahvway took a man FOUR EFFIN days to clear. And he done it while eating chocolates from his honey. That's a man's man."

My main complaint is I drive 35 miles to work and there are only 3 stop signs. There are no towns between my home and work. If I slide off the road, I am pretty much stuck out in the middle of no where. So, if it gets bad, I stay home! No inmate is worth going into a ditch for, is my motto.

Well, folks, I gots to go watch Denver get beat. Will check in later.
I don't blame you on not going out if the roads are bad, RB. And no, Ohio doesn't put such things for the tourist to read about when it come to the snow. But Brandy Wine ski resorts love the snow and the money it helps to generate.

Did Denver get beat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Goood Evening everybody! Whew....redbird, those ice storms...ugh. You said about the 3 stop signs and driving 35 miles to work. Well hopefully you'll never go off into a ditch, but is there any traffic at all on those roads? I know, I know..stupid question but just wondering. . I know on our highway up here (50 miles one way commute if you work in Anchorage and we both use to), cars always ended up in ditches in the winter (and sometimes in summer...darned black ice when it's 70 degrees out LOL), but there is always traffic so somebody would always stop. We've had some nasty ice up here over the years where you couldn't even walk across your driveway, let alone drive.

So, did Denver win?

EB, really neat pictures of all that snow. My best friend lives outside of Ashtabula, now she's in a snowbelt big time. And I sure remember when I was in Cleveland, those lake-effect storms.

Our temps are getting a bit cooler, especially in the mornings.
It wouldn't be so bad if the dang stuff would hit the ground and stay there til spring. But NOOO ! It has to come and go and come and go all winter long. I think we're the only state that get a season of "Brown" winters. Or, we'll have it up to our eyeballs all at once and spend a week try to dig our sorry butts out of it. But, what do you expect, it is Ohio after all. Just wait 5 minutes, the weather will change. By the way, it was 74 degrees today in the Buckeye.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:45 AM

Denver is still undefeated and the Yanks spanked the Angels. I don't usually watch the NFL or MLB.

The only way I can sit through an entire college football game is if I drink beer. Football season used to be my greatest drinking beer excuse.

I think I could handle an Ohio winter if I had beer. Lots of beer. And hamburger meat to fry up.

I guess Alaskapat is having her moose burger about now. I hear the snow is falling up thataway.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:44 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Denver is still undefeated and the Yanks spanked the Angels. I don't usually watch the NFL or MLB.

The only way I can sit through an entire college football game is if I drink beer. Football season used to be my greatest drinking beer excuse.

I think I could handle an Ohio winter if I had beer. Lots of beer. And hamburger meat to fry up.

I guess Alaskapat is having her moose burger about now. I hear the snow is falling up thataway.

Good Morning Everyone. Nope, no snow by me yet but that doesn't mean it hasn't come down in other parts. I've not heard anything much about snow yet. No moose burgers for me lol. I have had reindeer sausage a couple times; not bad but I feel bad for eating Rudolph.

We don't have any major sports teams up here. High school football seems to be pretty big for those who like it. I only watch the Super Bowl myself and that's just for the commercials.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:49 AM

Hunting was a part of life for us as kids here in Oklahoma. Nowadays, we are having wild boar/feral pigs running amok. I live in a rural area, and came home to find a huge feral hog in my front yard.

I thought he was a neighbor's hog, because our neighbor has hogs that get out all the time. But this beast was not friendly. I threw a rock at him to scare him away and the rock hit him dead square in the middle of the nose. He got mad. (can you blame him?)

Anyway, he turned to look at me and before he charged, my two german shepherds ran up and stood on either side of me. (Whew!) I didn't even know my GSD's were there. The hog thought about it, then took off. Do you guys get wild hogs up there in Ohio?

Earthbound, what part of the state are you in? We grew up eating squirrel, rabbit, deer etc because we were poor folks and hunting was a way of life for us. I don't hunt anymore though. It's become so commercialized.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Hunting was a part of life for us as kids here in Oklahoma. Nowadays, we are having wild boar/feral pigs running amok. I live in a rural area, and came home to find a huge feral hog in my front yard.

I thought he was a neighbor's hog, because our neighbor has hogs that get out all the time. But this beast was not friendly. I threw a rock at him to scare him away and the rock hit him dead square in the middle of the nose. He got mad. (can you blame him?)

Anyway, he turned to look at me and before he charged, my two german shepherds ran up and stood on either side of me. (Whew!) I didn't even know my GSD's were there. The hog thought about it, then took off. Do you guys get wild hogs up there in Ohio?

Earthbound, what part of the state are you in? We grew up eating squirrel, rabbit, deer etc because we were poor folks and hunting was a way of life for us. I don't hunt anymore though. It's become so commercialized.

I honestly don't know if there are any wild hogs in Ohio; have never heard of them, but doesn't mean there isn't any LOL. I understand those things are very mean. Good thing you had your dogs with you when confronted by that hog.

I've only eaten reindeer sausage up here; tasted deer years ago and didn't like it. Both of my parents grew up in the South and my dad didn't hunt but his friends would sometimes give him squirrel and other things they had hunted. My mother would make them for him but she wouldn't let us kids eat it lol. She was always worried what if it had a disease or something; wasn't a problem for me cause I didn't want it anyway.

We grew up in the city and my dad had two huge gardens every summer; we had alllll kinds of fruit trees in our yard (had realllly big yard), so one year I remember my dad being layed off and we survived eating lots of beans and my mother made all kinds of stuff from the fruit and we had all kinds of vegetables from his gardens.

I remember I was pretty small yet and my dad was raising chickens. My mother asked me to go get some eggs as she was making breakfast, so I did. I told her "I don't want those eggs from the chicken coop, they are dirty; I want the ones from the store." LOL. My sister teases me about that to this day.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:28 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
I'm in southeastern Ohio and a few of the counties below me have been having a little problem with wild pigs, it seems as though somehow or another they made their way across the Ohio River from West Virginia and start and work their way up through some of the southeastern counties, we do have open season on them now along with the open season on coyotes also. I used to do quite a bit of hunting when I was younger, now I do it only if necessary.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I'm in southeastern Ohio and a few of the counties below me have been having a little problem with wild pigs, it seems as though somehow or another they made their way across the Ohio River from West Virginia and start and work their way up through some of the southeastern counties, we do have open season on them now along with the open season on coyotes also. I used to do quite a bit of hunting when I was younger, now I do it only if necessary.

Hi Ptsum, how are you? Do they eat the wild hogs? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I'm one of those who grew up in the city.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
ptsum wins the prize. Wild Boar Hunting Information

We get a lot of hunters in OK wanting to hunt them, the problem is they can really move out, so they go from one landowner into the next, and it would be difficult to get everyone's okay to hunt on their land.

It's getting close to deer season here, so my walks in the woods are pretty much over unless I am wearing bright orange hat or vest.

Oh, forgot to answer, Alaksapat, yes, you can eat them. I would.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:14 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Hi Ptsum, how are you? Do they eat the wild hogs? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I'm one of those who grew up in the city.
No, that's not a dumb question Apat, yes you can eat them, just like any other hog,of course the flavor of the meat is little stronger than a domestic hog but it's also a little leaner,personally I prefer to smoke the meat with either hickory or apple wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio