U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-12-2008, 01:46 PM

4 posts, read 4,946 times

Advertisements

I'm a news reporter looking to interview undecided voters in eastern ohio, especially in the mahoning valley. any out there?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 01:48 PM

12,547 posts, read 12,077,219 times
You cannot advertise on here better change your post.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:00 PM

Default hmmm

tell me about it

Old 09-12-2008, 03:01 PM

Default is this really considered an advertisement?

It feels more like a request for help...

Old 09-12-2008, 03:05 PM

3,535 posts, read 6,046,911 times
I have a lot of family in the Mahoning County area, and used to live there myself. Most of them are lifelong dems and will NOT vote for Obama. Now if they could just see the light on moving away from the corrupted, depressed area....

Old 09-12-2008, 04:30 PM

Default are any members of your family

undecided about whom they will vote for?

Old 09-12-2008, 07:09 PM

3,171 posts, read 6,754,307 times
I know a lot of people from the Mahoning Valley that are disenfranchised w/both parties. I think most people that live here have either lost a good paying manufacturing job or are related to someone who has.

Yes, the Valley has a reputation as a democrat-controlled union stronghold, but as a former member of the IUE-CWA i can tell you that many of my former co-workers are sick of union tactics as well as the democratic party.

Contrary to popular belief, unions are not as strong as they once were. In fact, many "smart" union people have realized that they need to do all they can to help and work with their employers or their jobs will be long gone. Unfortunately, even when both the employee and employer work together companies still ship jobs overseas for union and non-union employees alike.

I, along with many others, believe the republicans and Dem's are both one in the same. Neither party is for the middle class. Each party has sold out the American people and they are all on the corporate payroll. The current administration tries to make people feel like they are unpatriotic if they do not support the war in Iraq or their policies. They've also used the threat of terrorism as a scare tactic to get the American people to give up their rights under the Patriot Act.

I am a 29 year old registered Dem (only registered as that because most of our politicians around here are Dem's and i want to pick the best in the primaries). I'm also a college-educated, former auto-supply worker that lost my job to overseas competition. Not only that, but my former employer, Delphi Automotive, took advantage of a loophole in the bankruptcy law, which allowed them to file for bankruptcy on only their American operations. This was done one day before the bankruptcy law was changed and when the company as a whole was profitable. It makes me sick that corporations in this country get away with the things that they do.

Anyway, (sorry for the tangent) i will NOT be voting for McCain in the upcoming election, as i feel he will be more of the same (W) and he is out of touch with the average American (ie, he is clueless about what it's like out here in the real world). Palin does intrigue me, but I'm not going to vote for someone based on their pick for VP.

In the beginning i was for Obama and a change in general (it's never good when either party controls anything for a substantial amount of time), but I'm starting to wonder if he will be more of the same as well. Most likely i will be voting for a change this election instead of more of the same, not sure who that will be, I'm just sure it won't be McCain. Oh yeah, and 55 year-old, blue-collar, white-male father is voting for the Constitution Party candidate, can't say i blame him!

Old 09-13-2008, 05:02 PM

65 posts, read 182,453 times
I registered to vote for the first time this year after moving to North Lima in June. I'm 30, mixed race, liberal (definitely not fitting in this rural area, lol). I am actually of the Green Party persuasion and would gladly vote that this year, but since Ohio is such a battleground state, I figure I should vote for Obama, as neither McCain or his VP pick (Palin is such a hypocrite... what a shocker!) impress me that much.

I have to say, CortlandGirl is sums it up rather nicely--this is the attitude of most Ohioans. I call it politicall burnout because the government in general has failed us for numerous years and even if Obama does win the election, I seriously doubt that 4 years of him can truly unravel 8 years of Bush. Still, it's a start--this state can't hold on much longer to what is afflicting this nation as a whole.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:34 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,806,791 times
chickarantor....you are in your 30's and registered for the first time? you are the problem with ohio,people here sit and complain and when I ask them why they keep voting them back in they reply oh I dont vote?????
think about obama.8 years ago he was registering voters in chicago....today 8 yrs later he is running for prez???? how can he make such a jump???? do you know anything about Il politics???? just because his rallies are like a combination of a tent rivival an a rock concert please think about how he got to where he is, all politicains are corrupt in my book so I look for the one who will do the best for the country,and I personally dont think it is obama who appeared out of nowhere and promises change, which will be in the form of higher taxes he wants to create a bigger govt,like hosp. think about your last trip to the DMV.....do you want the gov;t running your health system?
yes I want change but in this race I have to vote for the lesser of the two evils and that isnt obama, but also I wish it wasnt mcCain

Old 09-14-2008, 11:52 AM

65 posts, read 182,453 times
htlong, where to begin? *sigh*...first, CALM down. yes, i waited until the ripe old age of 30 to register. why? because there are plenty of other Americans (by the way, who are uninformed and pretty much vote for whoever seems more "likeable") who have registered.

second, unless you forget, there is something call the Electoral College (check The Constitution, please) which says at the end of the day, your popular vote might or might not count (think what happened in 2000?). anyhow, yes, i finally did register. i'm sorry, but Ohio is not very progressive and due to this lack of looking to the future, a great deal has happened which has almost irreversibly hurt this state. i did this because this year, i am determined if i am to vote, i will do so--not because of some candidate's tired sermonizing and demonizing but because i have actually studied and learned about their policies and feel they would best suit my community and reverse the BS policies that have plagued our country for the last 8 years.

even so, if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy to blame me exclusively, by all means, be my guest. and while you sling poo, the rest of us who are adults will try to so do something productive to save out country.

oh, and that tired statement that McCain seems to love to repeat (he reminds me vaguely of a male version of a Stepford Wife) about Obama raising everyone's taxes (blah, blah, blah)--do some research for yourself. here is a link by a nonpartisan organization, the Tax Policy Center. they did an in-depth study of both tax policies. if you can stand to read it for yourself and not have it spoonfed to you by a 30-second ad spot, you might be in for a surprise.

anyhow, your last statement especially amused me because it illustrates to me what i said at first about people voting and not even feeling any confidence in said vote. you know, i would rather the people who have no idea about anything in this election not showing up to the booth that day. maybe then, the people who are being honest with themselves can make an INFORMED choice based more on common sense than a whole lot of empty passion.

oh, and please feel free to call me Chikara in the future, seeing as typing my full name was a challenge to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio