Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2008, 12:19 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,861,498 times

Advertisements

Mnay cities in this nation, especially in the Great Lakes Region, face many image problems, along with other problems. I was just wondering if there was some kind of alliacne between the cities of:
Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton, Albany/Troy/Schentandy and Buffalo in New York,

Erie and Scranton in Pennsylvania,

Akron, Cleveland, Youngstown, Toledo, Springfield, Mansfield, Hamilton/Middletown and Dayton in Ohio,

Gary/Michigan City, South Bend and Fort Wayne in Indiana,

Champaign, Peoria, Bloomington, the Quad cities, Rockford, East St Louis, and the South Chicago suburbs in Illinois,

And

Detroit, Flint, Lansing, Saginaw, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo/Battle Creek, Port Huron, and Benton Harbor in Michigan?

If there isn't there should be (cities that I am not so sure about their economic state I Italicized) and fast. In this economic climate, we need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 03:19 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,660 times
um, cincinnati?

Old 09-30-2008, 03:38 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
um, cincinnati?
Cincy to me is a borderline Rust Belt city.I don't know if it fits the bill as much as some other cities.Cleveland and Detroit seem to be the cities that get Rust Belt tagged on them the most,along with smaller cities in Michigan,Northern Indiana,and Western New York.I can't remember what the map of the Rust Belt looks like but it might include Cincy and St. Louis.To answer the question I think there is sort of an alliance between some of the cities,but the Ohio ones don't seem to have that big of an alliance.The western NY ones seem to have more alliance then the other state's cities.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:35 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,487,651 times
Cleveland, Youngstown, and Pittsburgh are trying to form a "tech belt."

This article is kind of old, but it explains more about this "tech belt."
Two congressmen to hold tech forum - Vindy.com News - Business & Technology - Youngstown, Warren, Columbiana, Ohio

I'm not following the progress of this development, but maybe this article will provide enough info for other interested individuals to start researching.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:52 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,146,396 times
I don't see Cincinnati as a rust belt city. Never have. It's economy has generally always been diversified enough that it's managed to avoid that designation. It's basically a bubble city in a different class by itself.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:15 AM

6 posts, read 27,721 times
Yeah, ive always considered it to be that there is cincinnati, and then the rest of the state of ohio. When I think ohio, cincinnati is probably one of the last cities I think of.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:47 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
There is some sort of alliance or whatever of Great Lakes states already, but it's probably more concerned with the health and use of the waterways than with the general economy in those states.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:29 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,660 times
true, cincinnati is more of a financial hub than most, but look at the perennial poorest cities - detroit, buffalo, cleveland, cincinnati, st. louis...that's the rust belt. cincinnati was industrial before all of those cities that have been thrown around sans pittsburgh. it's just hard for me understand that because the city was big enough to have a diverse economy, that it's dead and dying manufacturing sector-turned-service doesn't qualify.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:58 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,716,307 times
It's true that Cincinnati isn't a true rustbelt city compared to the Great Lakes cities, but its beginnings were definitely Rust Belt, like Hillside has stated. There's a reason it was one of the "Big 4" rail lines.

In today's day and age, it has diversified its economy enough to make it appear almost as if it was never a Rust Belt city.

Actually, when reading about Rust Belt cities, many sociologist and economist state that the term Rust Belt no longer applies to cities as it used to. In other words, its generally a dying term.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:13 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,452,047 times
Mill Creek valley is rustbelt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio