Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 05:02 PM

4 posts, read 12,022 times

Advertisements

I was reading about whites voting for Obama.

They mentioned that white people in Somerset Ohio, would'nt vote for him because he is black, and mentioned that all black people are lazy. Why do white people think like that.

Looking at the population in Somerset Ohio they probably never left their back yards.

I bet if they would intermingle with a black person, they would find we are the nicest, funnies all around people in the world.

For instance I would just like one day to intermingle with any one in that town and before its all over I would have them laughing and they would want me as their best friend.

It disturbs me when I read something like that, stop sterotyping black people for something you have heard about a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,221 times
Default Somerset doesn't like black people

I actually couldn't believe the quote from a man with the first name of John and his friends at the local coffee shop in Somerset. All you can really feel is pity for people as backwards as this. I wonder how many young people want to escape the bigotry and small mindedness that they admitted to with that AP/Yahoo poll. You're right Helen. I doubt many of them have ever left their little town.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:00 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,153,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helen M. perkins View Post

They mentioned that white people in Somerset Ohio, would'nt vote for him because he is black, and mentioned that all black people are lazy. Why do white people think like that.

I bet if they would intermingle with a black person, they would find we are the nicest, funniest all around people in the world.

I agree that you are funny people

Old 09-20-2008, 11:44 PM

23 posts, read 71,539 times
Why even bother to care? Racism is worldwide and it is never going to go away. It makes no sense to try and "persuade people to be your friend just because you can make them laugh. I am in no mood to be anybody's court jester.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:47 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,075 times
All I want to say is that it is sad and not every white person thinks like that. People are people to me. There are good and bad in all ethnicities. Some of my friends are white, some are black, some are Hispanic. Some are funny, some are serious. We are all members of the human race.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:42 AM

656 posts, read 2,315,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
All I want to say is that it is sad and not every white person thinks like that. People are people to me. There are good and bad in all ethnicities. Some of my friends are white, some are black, some are Hispanic. Some are funny, some are serious. We are all members of the human race.
I would tend to agree with this. Out of any given population of people, there will be some fearful of other races, ethnicities, and/or religious groups. This goes for Whites, Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, you name it. By that same token, there will also be those who are genuinely open and of good heart. It is the responsibility of these individuals to seek out and nurture those multiracial/multicultural relationships. Those relationships will propel future generations to a point where it needs to be. It may take 100 years, it may take 500, but I can't see that far ahead. However, I do know that's the only progressive option we have as a country. You can't change people, but you can change the people with whom you associate.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:48 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,716,959 times
This is sad, but the fact is ... this isn't an issue that's limited to Somerset, OH (it's nationwide).

Old 09-21-2008, 02:17 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,146,608 times
Quote:

Not all of us do. Many black people are very hard working. But much like white people, some aren't. I don't stereotype people, and I'm not racist.

Personally, at first I was undecided as far as who to vote for this year. Then I decided to go with McCain. Now I'm kinda undecided again. But nothing in my consideration of either candidate has anything to do with their race.

Quote:
I bet if they would intermingle with a black person, they would find we are the nicest, funnies all around people in the world.
And some of the best cooks in the world! I love black people. I used to work with some black women who were very sweet, dear ladies. There are a couple of black men in my extended family (my brother's inlaws), and they are intelligent, kind men. When I'm around them, I really don't notice their skin color.

At the same time, I used to have a black man as a boss who acted like I didn't know how to do my job. But I likewise had white men and women as bosses who made me feel the same way.

Quote:
For instance I would just like one day to intermingle with any one in that town and before its all over I would have them laughing and they would want me as their best friend.
You sound like the kind of person I'd like to have as a friend, too.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:44 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,181,348 times
Nice attempt at tring to take a cheap shot......SMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
I agree that you are funny people

Last edited by Ron.; 09-21-2008 at 02:54 PM..

Old 10-04-2008, 07:02 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,775,075 times
Racism unfortunately is prevalent in lots of places, and blacks aren't the only ones who are subjected to it. I'm white, and I've been treated badly by people of other races because of it. I will not choose to vote for someone because of their race or sex...who cares if Obama is black? If I like his politics, I may vote for him. Who cares if Palin is a woman? I won't vote for McCain just b/c she's on his ticket. I hate people assuming that all women will vote for McCain now b/c of Palin! What ignorance. She's not exactly women-friendly in some areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio