Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 06:46 PM

144 posts, read 552,328 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering places out of state for job transfers (he is up for promotion but must transfer to be promoted). We are thinking about Ohio as a change of pace (we are in SW MO). We are considering several other places as well. Is there an Ohio city that fits us? Help me out.

We are a young couple (25 and 26 years old). Married for several years but no children. My husbands company has locations all over the US in every major city. I am an elementary teacher. We want to live in a respectable house in a safe neighborhood, with access to great shopping (more nice shops-not walmart), and possibly sports events (within a reasonable drive on the sports events, as it wouldn't be an everyday thing). We like to go out and have a semi-nightlife but we aren't wild by any means. We work hard and we like to play hard as well. Our current income is around 85-90,000 a year. Not sure how that would transfer with cost of living. But I am sure we wouldn't make any less (unless Ohio pays teachers really poor!) We prefer larger cities (250,000 or more please!).

Is there an Ohio town that fits us?? I will research any serious responses.

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 08:00 PM

39 posts, read 241,778 times
Columbus might be close to what you're looking for. You would have your choice of school districts. Of course, the upper crust communities pay their teachers better ( at least compared to the rural school district that my hubby teaches in).

Columbus has shopping (Easton Towne Center), night life, concerts, sporting events, and a great airport!

Old 10-15-2008, 07:10 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajo View Post
My husband and I are considering places out of state for job transfers (he is up for promotion but must transfer to be promoted). We are thinking about Ohio as a change of pace (we are in SW MO). We are considering several other places as well. Is there an Ohio city that fits us? Help me out.

We are a young couple (25 and 26 years old). Married for several years but no children. My husbands company has locations all over the US in every major city. I am an elementary teacher. We want to live in a respectable house in a safe neighborhood, with access to great shopping (more nice shops-not walmart), and possibly sports events (within a reasonable drive on the sports events, as it wouldn't be an everyday thing). We like to go out and have a semi-nightlife but we aren't wild by any means. We work hard and we like to play hard as well. Our current income is around 85-90,000 a year. Not sure how that would transfer with cost of living. But I am sure we wouldn't make any less (unless Ohio pays teachers really poor!) We prefer larger cities (250,000 or more please!).

Is there an Ohio town that fits us?? I will research any serious responses.

Thanks in advance!!!
Might want to look at Cincinnati as well as Columbus as the previous poster noted. Cincy has I think around 330k people, but their metro is far larger (close to 1.5 million I believe). Offers NFL & MLB w/both teams in new stadiums along w/Univ. of Cincinnati & Xavier athletics. And along w/Cbus, those are the only areas experiencing some growth in Ohio. Teaching jobs in general are not easy to come by in Ohio as many schools are cutting budgets, hence cutting teachers. Which is a large part of the reason why me and my wife (both 27) relocated to SC, but your best chance will be in either Cincinnati or Cbus unless you are willing to go into the inner-city and you could possibly find something in some of the other cities such as Cleveland or Akron, but it still won't be easy.

As far as shopping goes, there are your usual big-box stores in Cincinnati like Wal-Mart, but you will find there are plenty of other unique stores in the area such as Jungle Jim's International Market.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:20 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,108 times
N.E. Ohio has everything and more than cinci and cbus combined, except college football. one of the reasons is simply lake erie and everything that goes with it. IMO

Old 10-15-2008, 07:46 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
N.E. Ohio has everything and more than cinci and cbus combined, except college football. one of the reasons is simply lake erie and everything that goes with it. IMO
I agree as far as cultural, outdoor activities and sports offerings, however, the one thing it doesn't have is teaching jobs - which is important to this poster. I lived in NE Ohio almost all of my life.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:12 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,716,307 times
Quote:
What are some examples? As someone that is familiar with Cleveland, I'm curious too.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:45 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,660 times
Quote:
lol, there's nothing immediately on lake erie. cleveland makes hardly any money off of their lake. the only thing cleveland has on cincinnati is the rapid.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:51 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I think there are areas of Cleveland where you would be happy. Your income would go a long way there. There is a small but vibrant scene in Cleveland and surrounding upscale suburbs. You would need to visit, walk around and get a feel for the areas.
As others have said, Columbus and Cincinnati have a lot to offer, too. Cinci has milder weather, if that's important to you.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:31 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
lol, there's nothing immediately on lake erie.
No beaches? No lakefront state park? No bike trails? No Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or Great Lakes Science Museum? No air show?

Old 10-15-2008, 11:52 AM

498 posts, read 1,507,418 times
As Buckeye in SC says, Columbus or Cinci are your best bets. Not only for actually getting a teaching gig, but for quality of life. The cost of living in Cleveland does not make up for its other problems. Outside of the C's you are getting into areas which are smaller than you wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio