U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 02:46 PM

7 posts, read 7,796 times
I am from Ohio, Cantion that is. I dont rember to much about it, My mother moved us to Las Vegas when I was 7. That was about 28 years ago... To live in Las Vegas is wonderful! Except if you have children.. I have 3 now andI really want to move... But my husband says no no no....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 12:24 AM

663 posts, read 1,129,099 times
I was born, raised and will die in Steubenville! I love this town... Where else can you get a great view of the Ohio River? The scenic valleys, and the wooded areas around it?

As a kid I used to play in the woods, (unfortunately, kids now days dont know the pleasure of going up in the woods, swinging on monkey vines and hunting for fossils in the rocks!).

In the West End, you have some beautiful homes. Along 4th street, you have the old mansions that have now been turned into homes, or offices for Doctors and other things.
Its true, a lot of businesses have left Steubenville, down town, but, on the hilltop, you have a lot of them that have moved in! Sunset blvd has more businesses that all of downtown, from the River, clear out to the Wintersville line!

We have built new Schools, (Harding School is new, and we have a new School on the John Scott Connector, and Garfield School has been completely refurbished into a new School now.
Lincoln Elementary, (which I and my kids went to, is closed down now, and Grant school is now gone and a gravel lot is there where it stood.

We are getting rid of crack houses, (being torn down and replaced by grass lots), so that business is being run out of town. You have more pizza places in this town than anywhere I know of! But, DiCarlos is the best pizza place in town, and its down town and on top of the hill.

You have older homes in the South end, and they are trying to refurbish a lot of the homes all around the City, so we dont look like a blighted area, and they are doing a good job of it! If a house is abandoned and it becomes an eyesore, then it gets town down, or put up for auction, so that some one can bid on it and either refurbish it or tear it down and put something else in its place.

We are connected to about everywhere. 60 miles South of Youngstown, 20 miles North of Wheeling, 40 miles West of Pittsburgh, and you can always travel to Columbus which is 2.5 hours away via Route 22 to 77, then to via Interstate 70! So, I think we have a wonderful City and would invite you to visit or live here!

Many Churches of all faith, and plenty of places to Worship!
Updated Schools, (the High School even has a new pool for swimming and a new Gym and cricculums. Two High Schools, (one Public and one Catholic), a College, and a University!
So, we have a lot to offer...
May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 03-17-2009, 07:42 AM

89 posts, read 327,974 times
eastside cleveland.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:21 PM

28 posts, read 60,455 times
I was born in Sandusky in '64. Moved to Piqua in '66. Moved out of Piqua 3 times over the years but always went back, finally left for good in 2000. Been in Centerville ever since. Piqua was a great small city for a time. Eventually the decline of industry and the fact that drugs really started flowing into the city in the late 80's and early 90's made it kind of dismal. Its slowly regaining itself I've been told, but I have no reason to go back. It's still lacking quality industry but at this point so are a lot of places.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:18 PM

2,128 posts, read 1,800,704 times
Was born in Youngstown in 1947, lived on Ellenwood. It was an older area, my mother grew up in another house on that street. I went to Garfield school which was about a block away. It was a nice area of well taken care of homes. We moved to San Diego in 1959, my DH & I moved to Colorado in 1984, been here ever since. I like it here but it's prairie (Pueblo West), can be windy and dry. Inland San Diego county was also dry. I miss the green of Ohio but my neighborhood there is run down, many empty lots and I heard the house I lived in burned down some years ago.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:33 PM

15 posts, read 48,372 times
Born and raised in canton ohio aka BORING_BLEAK_DEPRESSED-VILLE... I have seen this city go from bad to worst over the past few years. It is nearly impossible to find jobs even for nurses like me!! There is nothing fo my kids to do and no opportunities for education,entertainment,or anything for them!! I cannot wait to move my girls out of this state, I feel like here they will always be limited in what they can do but if I move them somewhere else with more going on and alot more opportunities available for me than I can be better for them-then they can truely see their full potential!! But that being said I do believe that Canton City Schools has worked wonders for my oldest daughter who has a speech and hearing defect, if it were not for the terriffic intervention services we are recieving I would not be staying here-nor would she be as well off as she is now. I know people bash the school system and that they do have their problems, I still believe that they have worked wonders for my child.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:31 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,611,211 times
Native of Ashtabula County here. Born in Geneva in 1977, spend my childhood in Conneaut, and went to high school in Ashtabula. Moved to Akron for college and then worked in Cleveland for a while after graduating. Have been out of Ohio for about 7 years now, but all my family still resides in northeast Ohio.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:35 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,763,188 times
I was born in Wauseon, grew up in West Unity until my parents moved me to West Virginia - I will be retiring in 16 months to our second home on an island off the coast of Maine.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:51 PM

3,578 posts, read 2,114,133 times
Born in Steubenville, raised in Wintersville, married and moved to Steubenville. Good memories.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:53 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,007,522 times
Born and raised on the East Side of Cincinnati. Clermont County for three years, Newtown for ten.

I say "East Side" to sound affluent, but I grew up in two of the biggest redneck outposts in Greater Cincinnati
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio