Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 11:03 PM

3 posts, read 14,728 times

Advertisements

Hi we are relocating to Troy Ohio in a few weeks. Does anyone live in Troy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2006, 09:17 AM

976 posts, read 3,859,926 times
Troy is a really nice quiet town of about 7,000. Its about 25 minutes north of the Dayton suburbs. And it is south of Piqua, Ohio which is a town just a little larger than Troy. Its along I-75 which could take you south to Dayton and Cincinnati. And its not far from I-70 which could take you east to Columbus. Overall Troy is a nice town. Good Luck with your move and if you have anymore questions just ask.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 6,836 times
Smile Troy

I live there along the Great Miami River, where blue herons fish every day. (They know the river better than I do.) Troy is just a bit larger than Piqua at 22,000.. good schools and good small-town life. We live three blocks from six pretty good restaurants, a movie theater and across the street from the library. Dayton, where I work, has some problems because of the Delphi bankruptcy, but I've found the Dayton area to be a better quality of life than both coasts and most of the big cities. Nearby Tipp City has a really fine environment, too, just a canoe trip to the south.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:11 PM

15 posts, read 70,239 times
Hi Ciao,

I'm a little late in responding. Just wondering if you have moved to Troy yet? I am relocating from Westchester County, NY to Troy in about 7 weeks. I've been there several times so I am pretty familiar with the area, just wondering if you have any tips regarding moving companies, storage, etc.

I don't plan on staying in Troy, but will probably be there for about 1-2 months until my boyfriend and I find something a little further south (was thinking something immediately outside Dayton, or maybe Kettering, etc).

Hope you had a calm, effortless move!

Natasha

Old 11-03-2006, 01:31 PM

976 posts, read 3,859,926 times
Natasha, i highly recommend checking out Kettering.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:42 AM

15 posts, read 70,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
Natasha, i highly recommend checking out Kettering.
Yup, it's on the list. So is Beavercreek. I really like the Georgetown apartments in Kettering, though, so definately leaning towards that

Any other apartment/condos in Kettering I should check out?

Old 01-13-2007, 01:02 AM

2 posts, read 14,188 times
Default tipp city

you might want to check out Tipp City. Not a bad little town to live in. They just built a new high school. I live outside the city limits so if you plan on living in town you might want to check out what there rules are.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:31 PM

67 posts, read 370,578 times
I hope this info isn't too late -- although perhaps other searchers will run across it and find it helpful.

For the poster who wanted info on Kettering apartments -- consider the Residenz (yes, with a "z"). Pricy, but they offer the following: fireplaces, very nice community pool, fitness room, sauna, etc. Most importantly, it is located within "Lincoln Park" which is a beautiful area off of Shroyer Rd. The park offers several ponds, nice walking trails, and Fraze Pavilion. Summer concerts there are fantastic. When I first moved there, Sheryl Crow was in town for a two-night series. I'd bought tickets for the second night. The first night, I just walked around my neighborhood and listened to her clear as a bell as if I were in the ampitheater. Very cool! After that, whenever a show we really wanted to see came along, we'd pay for tickets. Otherwise, if it was someone we just sort-of-liked, we'd do the walk & listen thing. Fraze offers tons of free concerts throughout the summer as well, and it's wonderful to be able to walk right over instead of worrying about parking.

For the original poster looking for Troy info . . . I've lived in Tipp City on/off for 20 years and have just loved it. Miami County in general is a wonderful place. Though I've lived in California and Florida, I have yet to find a place with such a nice atmosphere and good mix of small town charm, convenience, and reasonable cost of living. Home buyers will tell you the #1 benefit is that Miami County offers lower taxes than Montgomery County. (The county line runs between Tipp and Huber Heights / Vandalia, so you have to be on the Tipp side to take advantage of the lower taxes, utilities, etc.). Our crime rates are incredibly low, and traffic is almost non-existent. Between Tipp/Troy, we have everything you really need -- Kroger, Meijer, Super Walmart, Staples, Applebee's, Outback, hotels, all the fast foods, numerous gas stations, several movie theaters, wonderful libraries and parks, great local neighborhood restaurants, etc. I've also lived in Centerville and Kettering and really appreciate that Miami County offers a little more space compared to the south suburbs. It's far easier to find a house here with a bit of land and a view of something other than your neighbor's backyard

Although I make it sound like Tipp & Troy are twins, they're not. We definitely mix back and forth to take advantage of each other's stores, parks, YMCA, etc. but lifelong residents will tell you there's a strict dividing line between the two communities and once you're "part of" one of them, you defend your own area. If I were deciding between the two, I'd consider these tips:

- Troy's housing prices are slightly lower, but there is more new construction in Tipp

- Troy's high school is larger, while Tipp still offers that "small town" feel where everyone knows each other, the teachers know the parents, and kids can't get away with things quite as easily

- If you work in Dayton or the WPAFB area, Tipp is an extra 10-15 minutes closer to your office.

Going out on a limb, I'd also suggest the unincorporated areas near both communities. Elizabeth Township in eastern Miami County is on the National Register of Historic Places (yes, the entire township), and it's a beautifully peaceful rural area with some lovely old homes.

Good luck, and please post back if you have further questions!

Old 03-13-2007, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 6,728 times
Default hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao2Ualways View Post
Hi we are relocating to Troy Ohio in a few weeks. Does anyone live in Troy?
yes i do live in troy, i live over by the high school which is downtown troy.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:10 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Smile42, I live in Washington Twp and commute to Tipp City every day. I sure like the "feel" of Tipp and if we hadn't found a really nice home next doors to where my wife teaches, I would've campaigned a LOT harder for us to have bought in Tipp!

For All: IMHO, one of the best shopping experiences my wife and I have had (and we've been pretty much all over the world) is Dorothy Lane Market. They have stores in Oakwood, Washington Twp. and Springboro. They have SO many upscale food items, prepared foods and everything else, food-wise. We buy all our food items there and, with the discount coupons and other perks, we feel like we come out ahead of running all over town to get the best deals. The service at Dorothy Lane Market is the best we've EVER seen at a grocery store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio