Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 02:01 PM

351 posts, read 649,527 times

Advertisements

I have the choice of working in either of these three cities and I'm wondering which might be the best fit for me. The field I work in is equally strong in all three cities--though the economy is generally stronger in C-bus so that might be a factor.

Anyway, I'm a conservative, Catholic, single, twenty-something, outdoorsy, organic-y, yuppie sort of guy. I'm the guy who you see at Trader Joe's or the symphony with a rosary in my foreign SUV's mirror and a Bush or McCain sticker on my bumper (well....NOW I don't! lol). I need a town that is well-educated without being snobby and a family-friendly town that isn't totally absent a rich cultural scene (museums, symphony, theatre, etc.).

I've been to Cleveland and, on the whole, rather liked it. I spent most of my time in Shaker Heights and that's exactly the sort of neighborhood I'm looking for (same age, style, price-range, etc.). The rest of the area seemed pretty sketchy, though.

Columbus sounds very nice--but almost TOO new. I want a classy town, but not one that is so classy that it has lost it's roots, soul, and midweestern charm. Cincinnati sounds very nice, but I'm worried about it being a little too redneck-y.

I also need a place where I can get away to a park/forest area to hike and, in the winter, cross-country ski.

My sentimental favorite might be Cleveland just because I like underdogs and snow--although I'm afraid that living in such a blue-collar and marginally ghetto place might get old quickly.

What would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 03:35 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,715,971 times
Oh great ... just what we need, another "VS" thread ...

I'd suggest doing individual threads as I can almost guarantee you that nothing fruitful will come out of this.

BTW, calling someone's hometown a "marginally ghetto place" doesn't rub people the right way for some reason.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:20 PM

498 posts, read 1,507,334 times
the thing about cities, in or out of ohio, is that all sorts of people live in them. people of every circumstance and worldview populate all 3 of ohio's largest cities and surrounding areas. i think that this is a good thing.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:02 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
I have the choice of working in either of these three cities and I'm wondering which might be the best fit for me. The field I work in is equally strong in all three cities--though the economy is generally stronger in C-bus so that might be a factor.

Anyway, I'm a conservative, Catholic, single, twenty-something, outdoorsy, organic-y, yuppie sort of guy. I'm the guy who you see at Trader Joe's or the symphony with a rosary in my foreign SUV's mirror and a Bush or McCain sticker on my bumper (well....NOW I don't! lol). I need a town that is well-educated without being snobby and a family-friendly town that isn't totally absent a rich cultural scene (museums, symphony, theatre, etc.).

I've been to Cleveland and, on the whole, rather liked it. I spent most of my time in Shaker Heights and that's exactly the sort of neighborhood I'm looking for (same age, style, price-range, etc.). The rest of the area seemed pretty sketchy, though.

Columbus sounds very nice--but almost TOO new. I want a classy town, but not one that is so classy that it has lost it's roots, soul, and midweestern charm. Cincinnati sounds very nice, but I'm worried about it being a little too redneck-y.

I also need a place where I can get away to a park/forest area to hike and, in the winter, cross-country ski.

My sentimental favorite might be Cleveland just because I like underdogs and snow--although I'm afraid that living in such a blue-collar and marginally ghetto place might get old quickly.

What would you recommend?
let's see, you're conservative and Catholic, you voted for that one guy, you don't like snobs, you have a real job, and you dig the vibe in cleveland. sounds like you need to look at western hills in cincinnati.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:07 PM

351 posts, read 649,527 times
Is that the more blue collar part of town? How does it differ from the east side?

Old 11-19-2008, 10:47 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
Is that the more blue collar part of town? How does it differ from the east side?
western hills is blue-collar like cleveland is blue-collar. the city (uptown, downtown) is blue-collar as in baltimore/pittsburgh. the eastside is where the highest concentration of stable and even rich neighborhoods are, the posh shopping, trendy bars, and yes, poor areas as well. the eastside mindset is either:

-stuck in a money-induced stupor and lives a glamorous cincinnati lifestyle
-very in tune with the city; average cincinnatians
-the eastside is the center of the universe

the westside mindset is:
-stuck in their ways
-cincinnatians looking to escape the people in the city and the eastside
-the westside is tougher and more sensible than the eastside

Old 11-20-2008, 12:38 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
I really couldnt tell you.

At first I was thinking Columbus for you, but then another part of your post kind of changed my mind. Then I was thinking Cincinnati, but then the same thing happened again. Then I was thinking Cleveland since you mentioned it, and the same thing yet again. Kind of confusing:

"I'm a conservative, Catholic, single, twenty-something, outdoorsy, organic-y, yuppie sort of guy" - for this part I was definitely thinking Columbus with a little chance of Cincinnati, doesnt sound like Cleveland to me that much.

I need a town that is well-educated without being snobby and a family-friendly town that isn't totally absent a rich cultural scene (museums, symphony, theatre, etc.). - I was thinking Columbus for this part.

"I also need a place where I can get away to a park/forest area to hike and, in the winter, cross-country ski." - This part I was definitely thinking Cleveland/Akron. Between the two cities there is a huge national park and there is some skiing season in the winter.

See, its kind of confusing. Im pretty sure you would find an area that you would be happy with near all 3 cities. Based on all that though, I would say Columbus by a little bit. Cleveland only slightly ahead of Cincinnati because of the skiing and you liked it.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:33 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,372,717 times
for the museums,symphony,theatre and recreation (snow and water sports, parks) cleveland. cbus has the most yuppy type and college feel. cinci is probobly most conservative/southern feel,museums and near parks.. many catholics in both cleveland and cinci. my choice would be : 1-cleveland 2-cinci 3- cbus... i happen to like all three, but lets be very realistic/honest,,, cinci and cleveland offer much more then cbus. the cinci and cleveland metros make cbus seem small.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:24 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
I agree 100% w/watertiger.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:43 PM

87 posts, read 180,789 times
as a black male theirs no way in hell i'd rather live in cleveland or cincy over columbus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio