Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 11:44 PM

5 posts, read 15,736 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Columbus. Ten years ago I'd had enough and my wife and I headed west to Montana. It's been great, I'd like to stay here
the rest of my life. However we've wanted to start a small farming operation for about the past 5-6 years. We've been looking and looking and looking in MT but we cannot find anything we can afford. So much money has moved into western MT in the past 10 years from the west coast that is has driven land prices through the roof. We're obviously very frustrated buy this and are at the point where we're seriously considering leaving and coming back east.

We've been looking at farms online in places like the U.P. and northern Maine because they are still affordable. We've recently even started looking in NE Ohio believe or not. I can't tell you how many times I've said
I would never moved back to Ohio . Anyway we found a couple places near Jefferson that seemed to fit what we're looking for in acres and price. I've never really spent any time in that part of the state and I was hoping some of you might be able to give some insight. We now have two children in the mix as well so schools are also a consideration.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 05:14 AM

69 posts, read 191,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrewr View Post
We've been looking at farms online in places ... northern Maine...
As someone that lived for a number of years in Northern Vermont, I can tell you that the climate there is pretty inhospitable.

Northern Vermonters describes their seasons as having nine months of Winter and three months of damn poor sledding.

Farming there is a challenge, to say the least.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:12 PM

457 posts, read 1,278,251 times
I don't blame you for looking at Ohio. There was something on the news about how affordable the homes and land were in Eastern Ohio. We couldn't believe it. I have never been a big fan of Ohio (no offense), but the prices and cost of living (it's so low!!!)...it really makes you think twice. We are interested in the homesteading movement, and the values make Ohio really attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: