Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:40 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times

Advertisements

Lorain county now sends out a questionnaire that needs to be filled out and sent back three to four weeks before you show up for jury duty. With questions like, 1) have you ever served within the law enforcement profession? (YES), 2) have you ever worked in the department of correction? (YES), 3) have you ever sued anyone? (YES), 4) do you have friend or family that are or were in the prison system? (YES), 5) do you have friends that are lawyers or in the law enforcement profession? (YES)
Now hopefully this will be enough to get me out of this, so I can go back to work.

I'm not interested in going back to school that just means owing more money that I don't have, I love driving dump trucks for a living. I move alot of coal in the winter for the power plants and salt for the highway department. So, if it weren't for me and alot of other drivers like me doing this work everyday, you wouldn't have power in your homes or clean roads to get to work on. Then during the summer, I move alot of asphalt to help build and repair those same roads that you drive on. It gives me a great amount of pride to know that I helped build this road or that road and people can wake up in the morning knowing that they can hit a switch and the light comes on. I'm up at 2 am in the morning and out the door working, while most of you are still sleeping. We truck drivers are the backbone of this country, and most folks don't even see that or want to hear about it. All I want is to do is, go to work, do my job, make money and go home at the end of the day. Not sit in some courtroom listening to a bunch of lawyers that like to hear themselve talk and get paid chump change. Lorain county needs to get up to date with the rest of the state and pull the names from the DMV list and not just the voters registration.
I've done my CIVIC duty, I voted and now they want more out of me.

The funny part of all this is, "if you don't show up for jury duty, they'll have you arrested". So now your not only a criminal, you can't vote anymore and most prospective employers won't hire you because you've been arrested and you owe the courts money in the form of a fine. And all this you can't do because you didn't work to make the money to pay the fine and the lawyer along with your regular biils and the taxes to pay them that put you in jail to screw up your life.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:06 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Lorain county now sends out a questionnaire that needs to be filled out and sent back three to four weeks before you show up for jury duty. With questions like, 1) have you ever served within the law enforcement profession? (YES), 2) have you ever worked in the department of correction? (YES), 3) have you ever sued anyone? (YES), 4) do you have friend or family that are or were in the prison system? (YES), 5) do you have friends that are lawyers or in the law enforcement profession? (YES)
Now hopefully this will be enough to get me out of this, so I can go back to work.

I'm not interested in going back to school that just means owing more money that I don't have, I love driving dump trucks for a living. I move alot of coal in the winter for the power plants and salt for the highway department. So, if it weren't for me and alot of other drivers like me doing this work everyday, you wouldn't have power in your homes or clean roads to get to work on. Then during the summer, I move alot of asphalt to help build and repair those same roads that you drive on. It gives me a great amount of pride to know that I helped build this road or that road and people can wake up in the morning knowing that they can hit a switch and the light comes on. I'm up at 2 am in the morning and out the door working, while most of you are still sleeping. We truck drivers are the backbone of this country, and most folks don't even see that or want to hear about it. All I want is to do is, go to work, do my job, make money and go home at the end of the day. Not sit in some courtroom listening to a bunch of lawyers that like to hear themselve talk and get paid chump change. Lorain county needs to get up to date with the rest of the state and pull the names from the DMV list and not just the voters registration.
I've done my CIVIC duty, I voted and now they want more out of me.

The funny part of all this is, "if you don't show up for jury duty, they'll have you arrested". So now your not only a criminal, you can't vote anymore and most prospective employers won't hire you because you've been arrested and you owe the courts money in the form of a fine. And all this you can't do because you didn't work to make the money to pay the fine and the lawyer along with your regular biils and the taxes to pay them that put you in jail to screw up your life.
On the bright side....then you won't be called back for jury duty!

Old 02-08-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
On the bright side....then you won't be called back for jury duty!
The problem is, this is the third time time in four years .

Old 02-08-2009, 07:23 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
It appears that ALL Ohio Counties use voter registrations for jury duty selection and some use DMV lists in addition. Voter registration, jury duty link no reason to skip ballot, official says - OPENERS - Ohio Politics Blog by The Plain Dealer

I just feel sorry for you that you are so bitter about being selected for jury duty that you would vote against EVERYTHING out of spite. By the way, if you work to vote down everything, what are you going to do when the government agencies can't afford salt or asphalt?

Old 02-08-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
It appears that ALL Ohio Counties use voter registrations for jury duty selection and some use DMV lists in addition. Voter registration, jury duty link no reason to skip ballot, official says - OPENERS - Ohio Politics Blog by The Plain Dealer

I just feel sorry for you that you are so bitter about being selected for jury duty that you would vote against EVERYTHING out of spite. By the way, if you work to vote down everything, what are you going to do when the government agencies can't afford salt or asphalt?
We hall other things like grain, lime, gravel, sand, fertilizer, stone, coal and all kinds of other products that need moved.

How can all counties be using the voters registration and some DMV list, its either MOST are using the voters registration and SOME are using the DMV list. All of them can't be using it when some are not. The sad part is that Ohio is so devided on what program to use, the DMV list or the voters registration. I wish they would get thier act together.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:40 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
From the web site of the Ohio State Bar Association Public Information (http://ohiobar.org/pub/?articleid=267 - broken link)

How are jurors selected?
In Ohio, persons are called at random for jury service from the list of registered voters in a court's geographical area. In some counties and in federal courts, the list of registered automobile drivers also may be used.

It would appear from this that ALL counties use voter registration for their base list.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:53 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Does your county not honor postponement requests? When my husband and I were both called for jury duty on the same day here in Colorado, he was granted a postponement on the very day he was scheduled to serve, no questions asked.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:46 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
If your employer is as upstanding as you make him/her out to be, then he/she will respect the laws that require you to serve on a jury.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:30 AM

498 posts, read 1,507,893 times
if you act as obnoxious in the pool as you are in this thread you might even be lucky enough to have one of the sides use a peremptory challenge on you.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Does your county not honor postponement requests? When my husband and I were both called for jury duty on the same day here in Colorado, he was granted a postponement on the very day he was scheduled to serve, no questions asked.
I don't think so, your on the call in list for three weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If your employer is as upstanding as you make him/her out to be, then he/she will respect the laws that require you to serve on a jury.
They do and are very understanding, but they also know that I rather be working after being laid off for three months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
if you act as obnoxious in the pool as you are in this thread you might even be lucky enough to have one of the sides use a peremptory challenge on you.

Who are you referring to as being "Obnoxious"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio