Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 08:27 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times

Advertisements

Just wondering which of the Ohio state parks is your favorite camping site.

Last year my DW and I bought a camper and started to visiting ohio state parks, like Indian Lake, Bark Camp, Alum creek and Maumee. This year we plan on going to others, one each month for the weekend. And we plan on buying a canoe to enjoy the out doors even more. Mohican seems to be the hardest to get into, so that may be a pass for us.

tell us what you know and enjoy .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 11:18 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,701,158 times
This is a good topic.

Has anyone camped at Burr Oak? We stayed at a furnished cabin there a few years ago and we really enjoyed it. It's basically in the middle of nowhere, absolutely isolated. Burr Oak is about 20 miles outside McConnellsville.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
This is a good topic.

Has anyone camped at Burr Oak? We stayed at a furnished cabin there a few years ago and we really enjoyed it. It's basically in the middle of nowhere, absolutely isolated. Burr Oak is about 20 miles outside McConnellsville.
Sorry, never been there. But we may end up there some day, we're working on visiting each one of them someday.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:58 PM

113 posts, read 424,903 times
I loved Hocking Hills!!!! It was one of the best parks I have ever been to! I have some pics under my profile. It was awesome!

Old 03-07-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebyoptimism View Post
I loved Hocking Hills!!!! It was one of the best parks I have ever been to! I have some pics under my profile. It was awesome!
Nice picture you have there, Cute church, too. My best half is from Bethesda Ohio, love the folks down that way. I hope ya'all are havin better weather than we are. Take care

Old 03-17-2009, 02:41 AM

668 posts, read 2,186,102 times
My Family has camped at Tappan lake for many years-->thoug its was many years ago now, and we absoutely fell in love with the place and would always go back. Unfortunately, we had to get rid of our RV, because of City regulations, telling me that we had to not have it showing and couldnt park it on the streets, and since I wasnt going to pay exorbitant rates to park it over the Winter at Camp Grounds, (those who allowed this sort of things, as most Public ones dont, but, private ones do and tend to charge you and arm and a leg for the privledge).
So, we elected to forego the camping days forever and just stay home now. Occasional day fishing trips are in the works for us, but, overnight, (unless we rent a cabin is out of the question).

Tappan lake has camping, a boat dock and marina and has the friendliest people I have ever met! (Yes, I have been camping all over Ohio, and always gravitated back to Tappan).

Ok, thats my take.

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 03-17-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
My Family has camped at Tappan lake for many years-->thoug its was many years ago now, and we absoutely fell in love with the place and would always go back. Unfortunately, we had to get rid of our RV, because of City regulations, telling me that we had to not have it showing and couldnt park it on the streets, and since I wasnt going to pay exorbitant rates to park it over the Winter at Camp Grounds, (those who allowed this sort of things, as most Public ones dont, but, private ones do and tend to charge you and arm and a leg for the privledge).
So, we elected to forego the camping days forever and just stay home now. Occasional day fishing trips are in the works for us, but, overnight, (unless we rent a cabin is out of the question).

Tappan lake has camping, a boat dock and marina and has the friendliest people I have ever met! (Yes, I have been camping all over Ohio, and always gravitated back to Tappan).

Ok, thats my take.

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
Did you ever concider parking it at a Mini-Storage Facility? Most of them have really great monthly rates and security.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:33 AM

28 posts, read 90,774 times
We used to camp a lot when we were younger. If you're considering buying a canoe to take along I would suggest Stone Lick Lake State Park east of Cincy. Very nice little lake that more than half of it is rather shallow and very nice to canoe on. Another good canoe lake would be Kiser Lake but I think the campground is primitive(no hook-ups) unless that has changed. Kiser Lake doesn't allow motors of any kind so you need not worry about some of the crazies in power boats. There are quite a few lakes in Ohio that have horse power limits. Most of these have very nice campgrounds. I prefer those when canoeing. Some other nice campgrounds I have been to are East Harbor near Port Clinton. It sets right on Lake Erie and has everything. Grand Lake St. Mary's is another. Ceasars Creek is also very nice but very hard to get into at times plus way too many boats in the summer.
Hope this helps a bit, have agreat time wherever you go!!

Old 03-18-2009, 11:50 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I like Deer Creek and Cowan Lake.

I didn't like Zaleski, but it's been more than 20 years since I've been there. The campground was mediocre and the lake was nasty. Things may have changed.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:30 PM

88 posts, read 371,878 times
Give Lake Hope, near Athens a shot...minimal amenities though. Whats a DW?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: