Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2012, 01:16 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times

Advertisements

I recently discovered Salem OH and it looks to be very quaint and picturesque.

The home prices look affordable.

Mods if this is in the wrong area - there is no Youngstown forum.Not sure if it belongs in Akron or Cleavland.

We need to get out of here. Fast. My husband was assaulted last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 04:07 PM

912 posts, read 1,732,687 times
So sorry about your husband.

Salem is pretty much exactly how you describe it: quant and picturesque.

It's the largest city in Columbiana County, but it's just over 12,000 people. Columbiana County is just south of Mahoning County, which is home to Youngstown and it's larger suburbs. Salem has a small town feel, but still has a lot of the amenities of the larger suburbs closer to the city like Boardman and Austintown. There's a Kent State branch campus there as well. It's about a half hour from Downtown Youngstown & YSU, where I know your son will be in school.

It's too small and rural for me, but I can see it being a good, very cheap place for families. If you're in to the Small Town USA feel, Salem would be perfect for you.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:46 PM

When I look at the houses they look more small town USA or The Country? In other words, can you get to a store in 15 minutes? Are Rodeos popular?Do they have side walks?

I am more looking for Small town USA than a brub or the hood. I think I'm in the hood now.

How are the schools? If anyone knows let me know.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:49 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,935,659 times
If you are looking for nice small towns I would look into Salem, Columbiana, Poland Village, Cortland, McDonald, Canfield City, maybe Hubbard, Girard, or Newton Falls. I like Kinsman too, but it's probably too far out.....

Old 08-11-2012, 07:47 PM

912 posts, read 1,732,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
When I look at the houses they look more small town USA or The Country? In other words, can you get to a store in 15 minutes? Are Rodeos popular?Do they have side walks?

I am more looking for Small town USA than a brub or the hood. I think I'm in the hood now.

How are the schools? If anyone knows let me know.
No, it's not the country. I guess rural was a bad choice of words. It's definitely small town, not like rural farmland, although that is pretty close by. You'll be way less than 15 minutes from a store and there are plenty of sidewalks. I don't think rodeos are popular.

State Street is the main east-west road in Salem, and has grocery stores, pharmacies, restaurants, fast food and even a Home Depot and Super Walmart, plus a lot of other smaller retail stores in the plazas.

Salem city school district was rated excellent by the Ohio Department of Education. Here's the most recent report card for the district.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:00 AM

498 posts, read 1,507,788 times
i am sorry to ready about your husband being attacked. that said, you were warned about youngstown. salem and columbiana are the trendy areas for white flight out of youngstown so you should be safe.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:11 AM

16 posts, read 31,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
i am sorry to ready about your husband being attacked. that said, you were warned about youngstown. salem and columbiana are the trendy areas for white flight out of youngstown so you should be safe.

I don't think she lives in Youngstown....her posts about the assault reference Wilkes Barre.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:07 PM

Yes and before this I was thinking about Youngstown. I think there are some beautiful homes there and I see potential.

The thing is that after this, I'm not sure if I'm cut out for the job title of "Urban Pioneer".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio