Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 12:39 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Nice attempt at minimizing the growth of the "Cin-Day Corridor," but the fact is that you're only five-ten years behind the times.
I'm not trying to "minimize" anything. I'm merely point out reality. Sounds like your making a desperate attempt to stretch to make something that is not.

Maybe the collective reasons for including counties in a metro area will ultimately mean a combined metro one day. But it's just not there.

Quote:
I have known people who lived in Cincinnati and drove to UD for night classes. I have also known people who lived in Dayton who drove to UC and Xavier for night classes.
I know people who travel from Youngstown to Cleveland and also to Pittsburgh for school or work. They also commute from York PA to Baltimore... from oh so not metro NYC areas in Eastern PA to Manhattan.

At the end of the day though, Cincy, Columbus and also Cleveland are similar in size and in other areas. Yes Cincy and Cleveland are both a little bigger and also have more amenities due to their age etc, but these are not wildly different cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 01:14 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
It's good because people in Dayton can buy the Cincinnati Enquirer instead of the Dayton Daily News.
Why would anyone want to do that? The quality of reporting and writing in the Daily News is and always has been light years ahead of the Enquirer -- at least in the 30+ years I've been reading both papers. The Enquirer's reporters have a hard time finding their way beyond the 275 beltway anyway and probably couldn't find Dayton if they were parachuted down on to Courthouse Square.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:14 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post

At the end of the day though, Cincy, Columbus and also Cleveland are similar in size and in other areas. Yes Cincy and Cleveland are both a little bigger and also have more amenities due to their age etc, but these are not wildly different cities.
Do you mean to tell us that you can stand on the balcony of the Immaculata Church atop Mt. Adams and look out over the Cincinnati downtown and its river OR stand on East 4th St and look west down that avenue and its canyon of buildings OR descend I-75 through Ky's "cut-in-the-hill" along with your first view of the Queen City...and still claim that "these are not wildly different cities"? Then is it any wonder that you've also failed to see the emergence of the "Cin-Day Corridor"? Better check your eyeglasses, JoeB--or, if you're not wearing any, you might want to invest in a pair.

Last edited by motorman; 12-16-2011 at 02:25 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 04:25 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Quote:
Do you mean to tell us that you can stand on the balcony of the Immaculata Church atop Mt. Adams and look out over the Cincinnati downtown and its river OR stand on East 4th St and look west down that avenue and its canyon of buildings OR descend I-75 through Ky's "cut-in-the-hill" along with your first view of the Queen City...and still claim that "these are not wildly different cities"?

this wasn't a discussion on topography. If that is what you are focused on then no wonder you are confused, but yes Cincinnati is not flat. Columbus IS flat. Therefore the cities are different.

Quote:
Then is it any wonder that you've also failed to see the emergence of the "Cin-Day Corridor"?
There is NO logic from your leap of topography to geography. Additionally I'm speaking from a rational perspective of established definition and attributes to Markets and metropolitan areas. Cincy is its own business market and Dayton is its own. Cincy and Dayton are each their own TV DMAs and Arbitron radio markets. They are separate Census defined entities.

A "corridor" is something different. The entire Northeastern seaboard is a corridor. There's the I-4 "corridor... the I-85 corrdor through the Carolinas to Atlanta. Different topic. Different everything.

Quote:
Better check your eyeglasses, JoeB--or, if you're not wearing any, you might want to invest in a pair.
I would recommend you read a little more on this subject. Additionally, some rational thought and a lot more maturity would be helpful too.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:39 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Why would anyone want to do that? The quality of reporting and writing in the Daily News is and always has been light years ahead of the Enquirer -- at least in the 30+ years I've been reading both papers. The Enquirer's reporters have a hard time finding their way beyond the 275 beltway anyway and probably couldn't find Dayton if they were parachuted down on to Courthouse Square.

That's a stretch. Nothing exciting ever happens in Dayton, so there is nothing to report.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:55 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post

I would recommend you read a little more on this subject. Additionally, some rational thought and a lot more maturity would be helpful too.
At least I got your attention, didn't I? And I also learned to turn to you for all my answers--that's a lot for just one evening. (I am grateful!)

Old 12-16-2011, 07:30 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Quote:
That's a stretch. Nothing exciting ever happens in Dayton, so there is nothing to report.
Is the exciting news in Detroit and Flint that there were no murders last night?

Old 12-16-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And that's a good thing how?

People who get degrees in Cincinnati also move away.

Give it up, dude. You're not convincing anyone.
I think everyone in the Ohio forum has realized that this poster has lost credibility a long time ago. You would be better off having intelligent conversation with a wall.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
These are mostly artsy-fartsy colleges which hand out degrees no employer values, unlike a UC engineering degree or a Xavier MBA.
Yes, those words describe Denison University to a tee. I mean if you put Denison in Michigan, it would have the 3rd highest endowment after UofM and MSU. I guess these people must be getting "artsy-fartsy" degrees in which they can afford that type of money to give back to the college.

And for the record, which this thread is comparing, Cincinnati and Columbus are both attracting a lot of college educated folks from Michigan into their metro areas, as well as anyone looking to escape from a state trapped under the auto industry.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Wow, way to prove my point wrong. Nothing matters but what you say, got it.

Interesting report, though. Brookings considers Columbus a "New Heartland" metro that includes high growth, high educational attainment and low but fast-growing diversity. Cincinnati is considered the "Industrial Core" metro, with low growth, low educational attainment and low diversity. Not a glowing review (and I think a harsh description of Cincy overall), but it's in the report you're using to criticize Columbus, so you at least must take it seriously. I would also like to see a link on where you are getting your market capitalization info.

Looking over the link and study, Columbus and Cincinnati were easily the best two performing cities in Ohio for this report. It's actually embarrassing how many times Toledo, Youngstown, Dayton, and Cleveland showed up on the worst lists from everything from growth to diversity to wages to commuting. Ohio should not have that many cities performing so badly on so many different topics, but it does and explains why so many people outside of the state don't take us all that seriously.
Really?!

It's embarrassing that Cleveland's unemployment rate is the lowest out of Ohio's largest metro areas? It is embarrassing that Cleveland was just voted one of the best places for African American businesses? It is embarrassing that Cleveland has experienced one of the few rebirths acknowledged on an international level? The Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, Case Western, Playhouse Square, etc are all embarrassing? Cleveland's extensive rail system is embarrassing? Right...

You know what's embarrassing? The fact that Columbus is now the largest city in North America without rail. That Columbus can't build a quality development if it hit them in the face. Building a 75 foot steel beam and call it art along Scioto Mile. Freeways that have chocked downtown for decades.

Please, leave all these other cities alone, because this thread is about Columbus and Cincinnati, no other cities. Maybe Columbus can stop keeping all the states' money to itself, and start spreading it around a bit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio