U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:09 AM

69 posts, read 184,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
If you guys have lived in the Cumberland area for very long, I think you'd feel very at home in Greater Youngstown. This part of Ohio feels a lot like Western PA. Coming from Cumberland, you will still have some of the beauty of the Appalachians here, unlike when you get West of Cleveland into the flat farm country. You also have quite a bit more crime in certain areas than around Cumberland, though, but also areas that are just as quiet as Western MD. Not knowing the area, it would be wise, I think, for you guys to avoid residing in Youngstown, Warren, Girard, and Campbell. These are the old mill towns, and have a lot of violent crime. Areas like Niles, Howland, Canfield, or Austintown are good if you prefer something similar to LaVale, with plenty of shopping and activities close. Outside of those immediate burbs, any of the small towns are quiet, and are generally cheaper to live in than the burbs. For a feel very similar to Western MD, in fact, I'd recommend Columbiana County. This is hilly terrain, and is rural with little towns. East Liverpool, down on the Ohio River, feels similar to Cumberland, and is only about 35 minutes from Youngstown on route 11. North of Warren, the terrain does get very flat, although there are some nice parks in the isolated patches of rugged terrain.

Speaking of rugged terrain, I think you guys would enjoy Millcreek Park. I guess the park is not safe at night, but it is fine during the day. It is in the city of Youngstown, but seems to attract mainly people looking to hike, picnic, and just relax and enjoy nature. There are lots of trails that follow some pretty rugged hills, and offer nice views of the lakes in the park.

In terms of the natural setting, this area has a lot more lakes than Western MD. Nothing here has the mountain beauty of Deep Creek, but there are a lot of pleasant, peaceful lakes that are great for fishing, boating and swimming in the summer. Lake Erie is only an hour North, if you're into a lake with waves and a feel more like going to the Atlantic Coast. If you're into watersports, in fact, I think this area is especially nice as a metro area for that.
Actually, we've been here just about four years now and mostly like it. As you are probably aware, this area doesn't get very much snow and a white Christmas isn't something to be expected here. Another advantage that NE Ohio brings is the price of real estate - but that subject has been discussed to death.

I appreciate your points and read them to my wife. We both agree with a lot of what you said, even though we're not really hiking or outdoorsy kind of people.

Thanks, though, I did appreciate you thinking about us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 12:36 PM

498 posts, read 1,442,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
This statement proves to me that you know nothing about Mosquito Lake or Trumbull Co for that matter.
oh, so one statement made for effect completely discredits everything else i write about the area?

Old 03-12-2009, 10:38 PM

323 posts, read 799,697 times
Ok, now that I have read about the crime of Youngstown - what about the art scene? Is it strong in the outlying areas which tend to be safer?

Old 03-12-2009, 10:51 PM

498 posts, read 1,442,625 times
actually, the art scene is much stronger in the city because of the extremely low cost of space due to a lack of gentrification. plus, the people with money will go to youngstown if need be to buy art objects. the economy is not there yet to rent boutiques and expect to pay the heating, much less the rent. i don't know which type of art you are looking for, but of note, the city does have an unusually high number of theaters (plays) for its size, a decent symphony (though cleveland is world-class and an hour away), and a couple of collectives. the arts community is kind of small, though.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:25 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,918,716 times
I'm not very familiar with Youngstown's art scene other than the artists' open house held in spring and fall each year at the Ward Bakery building. (I always try to go.)

Here is a blog about Youngstown's art scene, though: Youngstown Art

Old 04-14-2009, 06:33 PM

182 posts, read 518,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany12 View Post
The Youngstown area has a bad reputation with crime (mafia, drugs, gangs, etc.). But now I am curious about the region because I have been seeing houses in the burbs and outlying areas at amazing prices. I have done double takes several times at seeing some of the prices on well kept homes with nice acreage. Unlike a lot of cities, these are not run down abandoned homes. I would like to hear from locals - Is the city so bad that living in one of the outlying areas not worth it?
Hello! I am from Youngstown. I'm a 28 year old female and work for the prosecutor's office. I have lived here all my life and rather like it. We are SHOCKED every time we watch House Hunters and see what people pay for homes. Right now I am looking to buy a house in the up-scale neighborhood of Poland. For $83,000 I will get the BEST schools, a 1500 sq foot home that has a new roof and furnance, etc.

Many of the young kids don't like it here because there's not a lot of a crazy night life, but Cleveland and Pittsburgh are an hour either way from here. The cost of living is honest.

Youngstown is a city and while there is crime, it's not exactly little old ladies getting mugged. It's drug dealers vs. drug buyers, etc. and is within the city itself. The suburbs are AMAZING, especially the upscale neighborhoods of Poland (44514), Canfield (44406) and North Lima (south range schools- zip 44452). There are two blue collar areas that are nice too (44515, Austintown) and (44512, Boardman). We have a few nearby beaches though the water isn't exactly like Hawaii, but it's a place to hang out in the summer. We even have our own winery now in Lake Berlin.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me directly. I'll be sure to give HONEST answers!

Best Wishes,
Jenn

Old 04-14-2009, 06:40 PM

2,786 posts, read 6,329,810 times
Youngstown is a very underrated area. I have heard a lot of good things about it. And I have only been to the suburb of Boardman, which was really nice, but your typical chain type suburb. It had great shopping oppurtunities though, Southern Park Mall and The Shops at Boardman Park.

Youngstown has a very nice downtown, YSU has a great campus, the Butler Art Museum was great, and Mill Creek Park is actually one of the largest urban parks in the nation. Downtown also has a good restaurant scene. And the golfing in the Youngstown area was some of the best courses I have seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio