Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,416 times

Advertisements

I was an inmate at Lima from 95 thru 98. I saw and heard many strange happenings at the prison. I secured a job as an air conditioning tech while incarcerated and one day while working on some duct work I found a blood soaked hospital gown hidden in the duct for years. Most likely from the hospital days. John N.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwidman View Post
My father (Richard C. Widman, now deceased) was one of the Plain Dealer writers that investigated and reported on lima State in the 70s. their stories appear in the booklet Chamber Of Horrors. I have a copy of this book.

DJWIDMAN... Would you be willing to scan and email me the contents of the booklet?

Old 07-13-2017, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,315 times
It was a long time ago, but recent family research as my great Uncle Giovanni Catone, being the first person to be send here in 1915. He died there in 1935. I was wondering if they is someplace that keeps photos or records of inmates. It was a long time ago and so I doubt I would be in violation of any HIPAA rules. Anyone that could help I would appreciate it.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,252 times
Default Lima

You can expect lies from guards that worked there. These books were banned. NOT the plain Dealer, but the published books.
Ive been in the basement and sub basement several times, including the morgue and bowling alley. I was there for 3 years for parole violation.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxwedge View Post
Hi. Just stumbled across your posting of LSH. I'm recently retired with 30 years of State service. I got my start at Lima State Hospital in the early 1970's. Worked those halls and wards a long time. Yes, dangerous,yes,interesting,yes scary,yes, haunted. Public cant even begin to imagine the bizarre and strange actions and behavior we dealt with. I have seen NO movie or show that comes close to depicting the real life we faced 8 everyday. I too, have a small collection of memoralbilia from there. However I'm STILL looking for other items to place on the shelf. Looking back, I wish I had listened to the advice the seasoned employees who trained me. A couple of them told me: "Take notes EVERYDAY you come to work. Someday you can write a book and be rich!" I laughed, was only going to work there temporary til I found a real job. They were right. Too young back then to listen. GOOD LUCK on your posting. Keep me in mind if you end up with duplicates and want to share with someone who was there! Thanks.
Good afternoon. I've just run across this forum as I seek info/photo of my great-granduncle. He worked in this State Hospital as a nurse/supervisor/long-time storekeeper. I believe he was there from its opening in 1915 until virtually his death in the 1960's. I'm hoping a picture and references for him aren't difficult to find due to his long tenure there. His name is James Henderson. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. Most of his time seems to have been spent as the storekeeper at the hospital.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,303 times
I worked in LCI during the same time in the medical wing. I remember Dr. Martinez well.

oh, I wanted to know if you have heard about LSH becoming a FEMA detention center?

Old 01-30-2019, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 845 times
I was a patient at Lima State Hospital from 1968 to 1969..I was sent there from Fallsview Mental Hospital. What I saw in my time there still makes my skin crawl and those memories are still with me today. I was very fortunate that I had a guardian angel looking after me..his name was Don Adams. If anybody has any information on him it would be greatly appreciated. I was one of the lucky ones. I was on Ward 11 for a couple of months then transferred to Ward 1 or 2 I believe which was an honor ward. I played on the softball team, basketball team and worked in the shop doing furniture then was the gift shop person. I had hospital clearance to move throughout the hospital. Some of the patients I knew there were..Charles Gibbs, Amos Rathburn, John Bowens plus many others. I knew about the Strong Wards and the infamous Ward21. If anyone has any information that they would like to share with me I would love to talk about.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:43 PM

4 posts, read 3,418 times
Default Chamber of Horrors

Thank you for answering where to read this book. My mom was there in the Lima State hospital for the criminally insane and I know nothing about her.
Thanks again
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanZombie View Post
I have a copy of the book some of you are talking about. Lima State Hospital Chamber of Horrors. I have never read anything like it. Talk about horrors! You can go to the Lima Public Library and ask to see it. It cannot be checked out but you can make copies. I am sorry for what ppl had to endure!

Old 03-08-2019, 05:48 PM

Default Medical records for a patient

I googled Lima State institute and it says that next of kin can get the medical records. Or anyone can get the records after 50 years.
Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsoftail View Post
I am doing research for a local Historical Society. I am looking for information on Chauncey Miller, an inmate who was convicted of murder in 1938. The courts declared him insane and sent him to Lima State Hospital for the criminally insane. Chauncey Miller entered the system in 1939 at the age of 22. He was deemed "cured" and released in 1950. It appears Miller became an upstanding citizen: married, worked a good job, retired, and died in 1984.

I am unable to get a copy of the court records. I've been told that if the case involves mental issues/insanity, the records are sealed for 100 years. Is there other ways to get Miller's records, court case or incarceration time?

Thanks in advance for sharing information.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:56 PM

Default Medical records for a patient

Cindys56, you can obtain the records if next of kin or it has been 50 years. Just Google records for Lima state hospital. Or you can go to the Ohio historical society in Columbus
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindys56 View Post
It was a long time ago, but recent family research as my great Uncle Giovanni Catone, being the first person to be send here in 1915. He died there in 1935. I was wondering if they is someplace that keeps photos or records of inmates. It was a long time ago and so I doubt I would be in violation of any HIPAA rules. Anyone that could help I would appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio