U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2011, 01:21 PM

390 posts, read 950,714 times

Advertisements

I'm sure people are insane. Glee takes place there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 05:30 PM

3 posts, read 8,907 times
Default It's True

I was an Inmate for a White Collar crime at LCI for a short period of time in 2002 and 2003. I had an unusual amount of trust. My job was as a Baker and I would start at about 4a.m. I used to go into the basement under the oven room and experienced some pretty strange stuff. I believe it is Haunted but, TAKE IT FROM ME, out of the 7 Ohio Prisons I have spent time in, THAT PLACE is where the most abuses by Staff ocurred. If those Guards were to run into many of the Inmates they mistreated outside of the facility, whatever happened to them would be deserved. The staff member (female) who was killed was praised. However, she was also a Staff member who treated all inmates very poorly. She did not deserve to die in my opinion, but it isnt surprising it happened. Most of ODRC is staffed by closet sadists who are really cowards at heart and enjoy the control they have over the types of men that bullied them all their lives. On the street, where they dont have a "man-down" button, they would wet themselves and end up begging for mercy.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:40 PM

Then you must be one of the closet Sadist. I was there and sooo many of you were nothing better than those of us in Blue. Have you ever, while treating an inmate like crap, stopped to consider what you would do if you ran into a couple of us while out with your family? No man-down button to push. No SC/DC/AC doors to lock? I was also at ACI and things were better over there but Officers like "Couch" (his Wife, too, who was at LCI while I was there), and Captain Thomas, you have to admit that if an inmate killed them, either inside or in the free world, it would be deserved. The best Officers do their job and go home. The ones with a "mission" are the deserving ones. Case in point: the Officer killed in the Lucasville riot. HE DESERVED that MANY TIMES OVER!!! I knew him. I saw him work.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc2000 View Post
I worked at LCI from 2000- 2003. I can say that there were some weird things that went on inside the institution as far as noises, sightings and paranormal activity. I wish they wouldnt have closed that place though it was a GREAT place to work. When you went there you knew you were in a prison or place to house mental people (prior to prison). I remember when they attempted to build a new Seg Unit and tried to break through the old wall, it cracked the crane ball. That place was built solid as a rock. I hope they re-open that place before I retire from DRC b/c I will go back. I wish I too knew more about the history of that place.
Then you must be one of the closet Sadist. I was there and sooo many of you were nothing better than those of us in Blue. Have you ever, while treating an inmate like crap, stopped to consider what you would do if you ran into a couple of us while out with your family? No man-down button to push. No SC/DC/AC doors to lock? I was also at ACI and things were better over there but Officers like "Couch" (his Wife, too, who was at LCI while I was there), and Captain Thomas, you have to admit that if an inmate killed them, either inside or in the free world, it would be deserved. The best Officers do their job and go home. The ones with a "mission" are the deserving ones. Case in point: the Officer killed in the Lucasville riot. HE DESERVED that MANY TIMES OVER!!! I knew him. I saw him work.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,866 times
Hello! I am trying to get information on a patient named Paul Dehoff (I think) who sadistically killed two boys in my neighborhood around 1979-1981. Any info? I couldn't find any old newspaper articles or anything on him.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,638 times
HI MY NAME IS GLENN MILLS I WAS A PATIENT A LSH AND THEN AN INMATE AT LCI TWICE BETWEEN 1983 AND 1993 I AM TRYING TO RETRIEVE SOME INFORMATION FROM SOMEONE WHO KNEW ME THEN.PSYCH CASEMANAGER WAS RUTH WHITNEY AND I BELIEVE I WAS ON WARD 17 AND WARD 19 I REMEMBER A GAURD OR SOMETING NAMED DOUG HART AND ANOTHER ONE NAMED JACK SHERRIFF I ALSO WORKED WITH THE PET THERAPY PROGRAM.WITH A SOCIAL WORKER NAME DAVE LEE.I VOLUNTEERED WITH THE CHAPLAIN BILL VEST AND PETE ARKLAU.THIER WAS AN ARTICLE WITH A PHOTO PLACED IN THE LIMA NEWSPAPER WHEN I GRATUATED FROM THE INMATE/INPATIENT COLLEGE PROGRAM.PLEASE CONTACT ME AT glennmills58@gmail.com OR CALL ME AT 937-509-3837 IT COULD BE VERY HELFUL TO ME

Old 07-16-2011, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,638 times
Hi my name is Glenn Mills.I was both a patient at LSH and an inmate at LCI i am trying to find out if anyone knew me. My casemanager was Ruth Whitney I was on ward 17 and ward 19. I worked with Dave Lee in the Pet Therapy program and Bill Vest and Pete Arklau the chaplains.I was put in the local newspaper for graduating from the inhouse college program in 1983. A couple of the ward attendant names I remember are Doug Hart and Jack Sherrick.It could be helpful if you knew me to contact me at glennmills58@gmail.com or call 937-509-3837 Thanks

Old 08-10-2011, 01:51 PM

5 posts, read 13,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe quickle View Post
I have spent quite a few years at the Lima Corrections starting in the mid 70's. There is a book titled "Chamber of Horrors" about the Mental side of the place and the terrible things that went on there. The Plain Dealer newspaper is or was in controll of this book and can not be published because some of the guards responsible for murders are or were still alive. I have not been able to find this book but would like to obtain a copy if it does in fact exist. If anyone can obtain info about this please inform me. I to have many stories abouit thisplace, and seen first hane some of the things uncovered there while the Corrections part took overe. I was one of the 400 first inmates there to assist in the clean-up.
I was in LCI, and there was a copy of the book in the then Unit Managers Office. It was very tempting to steal, but I did not want to get caught with it in my possesion. The book is real, the stories are real and horrifying!!! There were also copies of newspaper articles of LSH that were terrifyingly true. We had many many discussions on these topics while I worked there.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:41 PM

I am with you! This building is the second largest poured concrete building in the United States, right behind the Pentagon. Look at similarities of these two buildings. I would love to see it turned into a museum!!! I spent time there. It is a remarkable building if you look past it's reputation. I am in search of memorbilia from this place also. Will keep you in mind. Would love to see what you have already.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daileyhistoricalarchives View Post
Hello, my friends! Due to the fact that I seem to have a hard time corresponding with you on this site...I ask that you please contact me through my personal email. jdaileyii@yahoo.com

Also, please refrain from publicly mentioning names of individuals on this site. The Lima State Hospital is a touchy subject. In order for me to investigate I need to respect the privacy of all involved. If my sources can't trust me, I am going to have a real lopsided view of the place. This is not a witch hunt. I realize that terrible things happened within those walls. By all means, tell me all what you care to share privately.

Why do I care about a building that is wasting away in the middle of Ohio? I find it to be one of the most fascinating buildings on earth. The drama that unfolded on that property is beyond imagination. The evolution of mental health treatment was a rough road. But these lost souls need not die in vain. LSH was not just a "Chamber of Horrors". In fact, I've met and researched some REAL heroes. Guard and patient alike. Whether from the State Hospital or the Lima Correctional Institute.

In many respects, I find those who worked or lived in this facility to be on the leading edge of humanity. Most of us have our jobs, TV sitcoms, bills, bar tabs, dates, etc etc. To be in LSH, one would evolve a sharper focus. Without life's frivolous distractions...a certain insight is attained. A rare glimpse into humanity.

As for the artifacts I've received from people. Amazing! I can never thank a person enough for parting with objects so personal. Photos of their grandfather in uniform. Artwork an uncle made. Badges or ID's. Awards. Newspapers. This project is bigger than me. My goal in life is to make sure everything stays intact long after I give up the ghost. I would never sell anything myself and I definitely don't want my life's work pieced out at a garage sale after my days are over. Perhaps it will all one day return home. To that amazing building in Lima, Ohio. It should be a museum after all.
I am with you! This building is the second largest poured concrete building in the United States, right behind the Pentagon. Look at similarities of these two buildings. I would love to see it turned into a museum!!! I spent time there. It is a remarkable building if you look past it's reputation. I am in search of memorbilia from this place also. Will keep you in mind. Would love to see what you have already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio