Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 09:31 PM

56 posts, read 211,912 times

Advertisements

witch mid-sized Northeast Ohio city is better to live in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 10:30 PM

5,496 posts, read 9,433,130 times
I don't have much recent, first hand experience with Canton. But, from what I've read on here, () Canton's downtown is dull, and is dangerous. These are two things that Youngstown's downtown aren't, IMO.

But, I think some of Youngstown's neighborhoods are more run-down than those in Canton because they have been neglected longer.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:43 PM

602 posts, read 2,025,370 times
I'd give the edge to Youngstown, but not because I live here.

You've got Mill Creek Park, YSU, and better restaurants than what you do in Canton.

I agree with what JR said about the neighborhoods between the 2 cities, but you can probably find cheaper and more "architecturally interesting" housing in Y-town.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:33 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,881,537 times
Canton can get rough, but Youngstown is a lot rougher than Canton. It also has one of the highest crime rates and murder rates in the country.

Youngstown has a noticeably better downtown though.

I would give Canton the slight edge as better.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:17 PM

182 posts, read 530,425 times
I live in Youngstown. If you move here, look for homes with the zip code 44406 (Canfield) and 44514 (Poland). They're the upscale suburbs. The nice blue-collar suburbs are 44515 (Austintown) and 44512 (Boardman). Oh, South Range schools are the BEST. It's pretty country out there. That zip is 44452. They are all in Mahoning County which is pretty much Youngstown.

My boyfriend thinks Canton may be a tad nicer, but we've never lived there. We've lived in Ytown all our lives. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions and want honest answers.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:37 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,601,189 times
Canton actually has a very nice intact downtown, but I think Youngstown's downtown has the edge with the restaurants and such. Youngstown's downtown is really making a huge comeback. Youngstown also has a more dense skyline than Canton. The thing is though, Younstown probaly has one of the best art deco skylines in the nation for a city of its size. Erie, PA's skyline is pathetic compared to Youngstown's.

Overall quality of living though, that one goes to Canton.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon521 View Post
I live in Youngstown. If you move here, look for homes with the zip code 44406 (Canfield) and 44514 (Poland). They're the upscale suburbs. The nice blue-collar suburbs are 44515 (Austintown) and 44512 (Boardman). Oh, South Range schools are the BEST. It's pretty country out there. That zip is 44452. They are all in Mahoning County which is pretty much Youngstown.

My boyfriend thinks Canton may be a tad nicer, but we've never lived there. We've lived in Ytown all our lives. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions and want honest answers.
Actually i'm from inner city Youngstown i just thought this would be fun to compare...............

Old 04-15-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Canton actually has a very nice intact downtown, but I think Youngstown's downtown has the edge with the restaurants and such. Youngstown's downtown is really making a huge comeback. Youngstown also has a more dense skyline than Canton. The thing is though, Younstown probaly has one of the best art deco skylines in the nation for a city of its size. Erie, PA's skyline is pathetic compared to Youngstown's.

Overall quality of living though, that one goes to Canton.
True i agree 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio