Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 9,555 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone,
I am wanting to move to youngstown, but I do not know the area at all.

I understand there are some nice areas, and some, not so nice neighborhoods in the area. How can I know what areas are safe to live in?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 07:32 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
The easiest way is to drive down a potential street. Trust your instincts. If it looks bad, it probably is. Even some good neighborhoods look bad, but almost never the other way around.

If you're looking in the city proper, your best bet is to look on the west and north sides. Although there are good neighborhoods in the south and east sides of the city, it's probably best to stay away from those parts of town until you're more familiar with the area.

Search for old posts about moving to Youngstown. A lot has been covered before.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:10 PM

492 posts, read 2,372,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPassion View Post
Greetings everyone,
I am wanting to move to youngstown, but I do not know the area at all.

I understand there are some nice areas, and some, not so nice neighborhoods in the area. How can I know what areas are safe to live in?

Thanks!
Just out of curiosity, why Youngstown? Where are you coming from?

Depending on what you're used to, certain neighborhoods would either scare the crap out of you, bore you to tears, or may just be perfect. Are you looking for something in the city? An older suburb? A newer one? Give us some more details and we'll be glad to help you out.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 9,555 times
Hi, I presently live about 30 minutes outside of new york city. I live in a very secluded place. On top of a mountain, but am tired of the rat race.

When I was younger, I lived in williamsport pa, and loved it there. I just want a nice place to live, sit on the porch or have a bbq.

The cost of living is attracting me, to be honest. I can blend into most anyplace.

I love working on my home now, so I dont care if I have to roll my sleeves up to get the home ready.

Where I live now the cost of living is sky high, starter homes are $550,000

I'm too old, too tired for the game.

I figure, I could pay cash, renovate it if needed, it most likely will from what I've seen, and semi-retire very comfortably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmanite View Post
Just out of curiosity, why Youngstown? Where are you coming from?

Depending on what you're used to, certain neighborhoods would either scare the crap out of you, bore you to tears, or may just be perfect. Are you looking for something in the city? An older suburb? A newer one? Give us some more details and we'll be glad to help you out.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:04 PM

492 posts, read 2,372,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPassion View Post
Hi, I presently live about 30 minutes outside of new york city. I live in a very secluded place. On top of a mountain, but am tired of the rat race.

When I was younger, I lived in williamsport pa, and loved it there. I just want a nice place to live, sit on the porch or have a bbq.

The cost of living is attracting me, to be honest. I can blend into most anyplace.

I love working on my home now, so I dont care if I have to roll my sleeves up to get the home ready.

Where I live now the cost of living is sky high, starter homes are $550,000

I'm too old, too tired for the game.

I figure, I could pay cash, renovate it if needed, it most likely will from what I've seen, and semi-retire very comfortably.
Wow $550,000 for a starter home... That seems insane to me. That much would get you most any kind of house you wanted here. Youngstown is pretty slow-paced, so you might enjoy the change... Let us know if you have any more questions...

Old 01-16-2008, 08:52 PM

5 posts, read 19,979 times
If you are looking for a slow city life - Youngstown might be it, and with the new hockey team in town - things are looking up for it. If you are looking for smaller city life check out towns around Youngstown

Old 01-17-2008, 10:13 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Youngstown is changing, I keep hearing more and more good about this city. I know from friends at Kent State, there are some nice suburbs around the city too. Canfield, Boardman, Columbiana, Salem, Niles, and Poland. They are all pretty safe, and are nice towns.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:54 AM

2 posts, read 6,355 times
Youngstown does have some not so fabulous areas, just like any other large city would. Like the previous poster stated, the city is changing. Mayor Williams is doing a fantastic job renovating the city. His 2010 renovation plan is the best thing that I've seen a politician in this area come up with in a rather long time. I sincerely believe that he will turn this city around. You can check out the 2010 renovation plan at; Youngstown 2010 .

Anyway, I live in the South Side of Youngstown in an area called Brownlee Woods. If you're in the city, drive around a street called Sheridan and you'll get a pretty good feel for the Brownlee Woods neighborhood. Very nice homes, at reasonable prices. As far as safety is concerned, I've lived my entire 25 years of life here and have never had a problem. I walk my dog along Sheridan Rd. and surrounding streets and have never questioned my safety or have felt the need to question my safety in this area of the city. Now, it is an older neighborhood and some streets have a few homes that are dilapidated, but I've noticed that a lot of these homes are being bought and renovated which is absolutely wonderful. On my street alone, there were 3 homes that had been rather run-down and within the last year people have bought and renovated these homes. It's rather refreshing to see. So, I personally would invest some time into touring this area of Youngstown. Other areas of the city that I would recommend for you to look into are the West Side, and parts of the North Side. As a current Youngstown State student, I have to be honest with you and tell you that parts of the North Side scare me. On the city's South Side around Market Street and South Avenue, there is a very heavy gang influence. The gang is called "The Dale Boys" and I'm sure if you visit our local newspaper's website (Vindy.com News – Youngstown, Warren, Columbiana Ohio - news, sports and information) and search for the dale boys you'll be able to read articles on them and which streets to be leery of. Also, I never go to the East side of the city alone. Neighboring cities in the area that I would recommend are; Poland, Struthers, and parts of Boardman and Canfield. However, parts of Poland and Boardman have flooding issues and certain areas of Struthers are really rundown. Canfield is rather expensive real estate wise, but you could possibly find a fixer-upper in the price range of $100,000. Hope this helps you out. If you have any other questions, feel free to message me. Have a good day!

Old 01-27-2008, 06:43 AM

511 posts, read 1,937,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRRish13 View Post
Youngstown does have some not so fabulous areas, just like any other large city would. Like the previous poster stated, the city is changing. Mayor Williams is doing a fantastic job renovating the city. His 2010 renovation plan is the best thing that I've seen a politician in this area come up with in a rather long time. I sincerely believe that he will turn this city around. You can check out the 2010 renovation plan at; Youngstown 2010 .

Anyway, I live in the South Side of Youngstown in an area called Brownlee Woods. If you're in the city, drive around a street called Sheridan and you'll get a pretty good feel for the Brownlee Woods neighborhood. Very nice homes, at reasonable prices. As far as safety is concerned, I've lived my entire 25 years of life here and have never had a problem. I walk my dog along Sheridan Rd. and surrounding streets and have never questioned my safety or have felt the need to question my safety in this area of the city. Now, it is an older neighborhood and some streets have a few homes that are dilapidated, but I've noticed that a lot of these homes are being bought and renovated which is absolutely wonderful. On my street alone, there were 3 homes that had been rather run-down and within the last year people have bought and renovated these homes. It's rather refreshing to see. So, I personally would invest some time into touring this area of Youngstown. Other areas of the city that I would recommend for you to look into are the West Side, and parts of the North Side. As a current Youngstown State student, I have to be honest with you and tell you that parts of the North Side scare me. On the city's South Side around Market Street and South Avenue, there is a very heavy gang influence. The gang is called "The Dale Boys" and I'm sure if you visit our local newspaper's website (Vindy.com News – Youngstown, Warren, Columbiana Ohio - news, sports and information) and search for the dale boys you'll be able to read articles on them and which streets to be leery of. Also, I never go to the East side of the city alone. Neighboring cities in the area that I would recommend are; Poland, Struthers, and parts of Boardman and Canfield. However, parts of Poland and Boardman have flooding issues and certain areas of Struthers are really rundown. Canfield is rather expensive real estate wise, but you could possibly find a fixer-upper in the price range of $100,000. Hope this helps you out. If you have any other questions, feel free to message me. Have a good day!
What's funny is, I did as you suggested and did a search on the "Dale Boys" and oddly enough, they speak of them as a "South Side" gang, which is where you live and claim to feel safe, although you go on to say how the city is under revitilization and so on. You mention that the east side and north side scare you.

To the original poster, Youngstown has been known as a harbor for crime for years. I dont know what attracts you to Youngstown when you are passing up some great living in Pittsburgh or any other city in PA. I'll believe all this revitalization in Youngstown when/if I ever see it.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:42 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwscottie View Post
What's funny is, I did as you suggested and did a search on the "Dale Boys" and oddly enough, they speak of them as a "South Side" gang, which is where you live and claim to feel safe, although you go on to say how the city is under revitilization and so on. You mention that the east side and north side scare you.

To the original poster, Youngstown has been known as a harbor for crime for years. I dont know what attracts you to Youngstown when you are passing up some great living in Pittsburgh or any other city in PA. I'll believe all this revitalization in Youngstown when/if I ever see it.
Read their post again. iRRish13 said "the dale boys" were a south side gang. They just aren't in iRRish13's part of the south side.

Also, about the revitalization in Youngstown, if you haven't been to the city for a couple years, visit downtown. The revitalization effort has started there, and downtown's come pretty far in just a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio