Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:29 PM

9 posts, read 23,619 times

Advertisements

These posts really put a lot into prespective, the difference in opinions makes it obvious that much has to be considered when choosing a college, especially if the student will be living away from home.

YSU is a fine school, and if it clearly meets the academic needs of the student then it should be considered. The campus is very safe, but choosing a safe campus is not the answer for a young person that is immature and irresponsible. If the student is dedicated to bettering himself and wants to get the most out of the academics there, then choosing what fits the career path is most important. If a full rounded experience is desired including exposure to opportunities, quality of life and activities outside of school, then Youngstown might not fit the bill. But a larger or more cosmopolitan city, with much to offer for entertainment and pleasure, might be too distracting during these crucial years.

You've heard bad things about Youngstown? There's plenty of bad to be said about it. But there is a lot bad about most cities, and even those cities that are generally well reviewed offer plenty of opportunity for a youngster to get into trouble, and even to completely sidetrack his education.

Choosing a school is a complex decision. The quality and appropriateness of the school is paramount, the location is somewhat less important. The maturity and focus of the student has more effect on his success than anything. A poor student will get into trouble, and jeopardize his future at the best of schools and in the best cities. A mature student with purpose will succeed with a good appropriate school no matter where it's located. Youngstown can distract, depress, and disable poor students, but YSU has much to offer good students...

If YSU is especially appropriate for the career path of the student then encourage him to go there and focus on his studies, tell him to be careful all the time, and that what he does there academically will determine how happy he is in the future.

Best of luck to both of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 06:04 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,628,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
nor do we need over positive people misrepresenting the reality of the area in an effort to get people to go to youngstown. this statement sums up how people who are not from the mahoning valley see the area. that ysu is a good campus, and that the campus is very safe does not change the situation much outside of the campus area. while there being little distraction to dissuade the student from their studies might be a good thing there is nothing worth doing during the days off much less breaks. OP's child will almost certainly complain about the area when they go back home.

I am not over positive. I did not direct that comment at you, so please, shut up! Thanks.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:52 PM

498 posts, read 1,507,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
so please, shut up! Thanks.
when you admit that i am right about the mahoning valley, i'll consider quieting down.

what i will never do, however, is seek to restrict your ability to express any thoughts that you have. i can handle the fact that other people might have something to say, and i am willing to discuss issues with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio