Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:07 PM

7 posts, read 46,749 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are still in the beginning stages of checking out communities. We'd like something w/a small town friendly feel that is peaceful and green and slow paced. Anyone familiar w/Doylestown, Clinton or Alliance that can give me their impressions on what its like to live there and also what its like for newcomers?

Give me as much info as you can re what life is like there....What you like best, what you didn't like....Thanks!!! Terry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 07:39 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower51 View Post
Hi! We are still in the beginning stages of checking out communities. We'd like something w/a small town friendly feel that is peaceful and green and slow paced. Anyone familiar w/Doylestown, Clinton or Alliance that can give me their impressions on what its like to live there and also what its like for newcomers?

Give me as much info as you can re what life is like there....What you like best, what you didn't like....Thanks!!! Terry
CLINTON HANDS DOWN.

Remember Mayberry? That's Clinton. Trust me on this one, Doylestown and Alliance do not compare.

I grew up there. It's a teensy tiny little town. Their downtown is just like Mayberry. Very affordable, some neat neat old victorian homes too.

I can't say enough good about the place.

Run as quick as you can to Clinton.

Sigh....I miss Ohio.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:04 PM

40 posts, read 186,675 times
Clinton and Doylestown are very nice. Alliance is a bit on the neglected side of things, and has definitely seen better days.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,591 times
The best years of my life were spent in Doylestown! From 1972-1986. All my best buds are still there. Hi Chuckie, Buzzard, Clara-belle, Trippie and Linda Lou!!!! I miss you guys big time! Love, Clickity

Old 08-01-2009, 08:06 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,563 times
Doylestown and Clinton are closer in comparison than throwing Alliance into the mix. Alliance has about 23,000 residents where the other two are like a couple thousand if that. Alliance is not so appealing, once you get away from US-62/State ST., lots of neglected homes and boarded up places especially on the north and east ends of town. Unless you work in the city, I'd suggest looking at Doylestown or Clinton.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:56 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times
I lived in Doylestown in 2008. Nice town, location is convenient and things are quiet. Neighbors tend to keep to themselves with new comers, but it was a nice town to be in. Sept they have the town garage sale, and that was fun. I'd move back without a doubt.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:35 AM

436 posts, read 1,647,968 times
Default Doylestown

Doylestown is a nice place. Safe. Quiet.
My boyfriend has lived there for 6 years now and altho he dislikes it (he is originally a Portake Lakes resident), it is sufficient. He is looking to move at some point altho it has nothing to to with D-town itself - just his preferences. I go there a lot to see him. I'm not a fan of the country, but its a nice, safe place with a small center of town. There is a pizza place, ice cream stand, Subway, CVS, Napa Auto Parts. They just built a brand new library in the center of town. As for education - my boyfriend has no complaints about the school system where his 8 year old has been attending since kindergarten.
I don't know anything about the other 2 areas - I try to stay in the city as much as possible

Old 08-05-2009, 05:02 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower51 View Post

Doylestown: I have lived here for 18 years. Did NOT grow up here; grew up in a town close-by. Yes, Doylestown has a small-town "friendly feel" (friendly-feel is subjective as it depends on what you consider a "friendly-feel" and how much you get involved in the community with all of it's small-town intracies, dynamics, power plays by old-timers who think they are the Kennedy's and Rockefellers of the community). Most of the people are very nice people.

It IS indeed peaceful, green, and slow-paced. The schools are fine; they are in need of new buildings though. It's too bad that SOME of the people turned down a proposition from the state of Ohio a few years ago that would have provided half of the funding for brand new schools to come from a grant and the rest would have been been funded by taxpayers. You will find that people here will vote or not vote for a proposition because of a long-term feud or dislike with a particular person. That means that if a particular person started a proposal, you will vote for it or against it strictly because of that. I suppose that this is what happens in small towns - period - whether it's Doylestown or not. Too bad that SOME residents can't see the "big picture" for whatever reason as it pertains to various issues that affect the future of this town.

Doylestown has a variety of Christian churches. If you are a Christian, that is good, if not, forget it. The ONLY religious presence that I'm aware of here is Christianity. We are Catholic and there is a Catholic church here along with a Catholic school. Our large family (children) have all attended (or currently attend) the Catholic school up through 8th grade and then go to the public high school to finish out 9-12 grades. I have no complaints about the high school. Two have graduated from there and with college degrees. Two more are currently there and are all doing fine and enrolled in Honors classes.

As far as shopping goes, like another poster suggested, there are a few small businesses in town as well as some pizza places. There are some nice doctors in town, there is a new health/wellness facility that's been built as well as a brand new library.

If you are in need of groceries, you will need to travel out of town to buy them. A lot of people (I presume go to Rittman - this is another town you can check out as you are looking) for groceries. I personally go to Wadsworth, Norton, or Montrose (where there is a Sam's Club and other stores).

In my opinion, there are people in Doylestown who WANT progress, and those who want the town to remain as is. There is little business tax base in this town, rather, there is a heavy demand on private tax base (homeowners as well as those working who pay both property tax as well as a separate "school funding" income tax to support schools).

In addition, you should be aware of the ongoing "Save-our-Water" problem with Wadsworth. Direct link is: Save-Our-Water* General Information. The last update on all of this is from June 30, 2009 - here is the link: http://www.tradingpostnewspapers.com/Articles-i-2009-06-28-87997.113117_Agreement_reached_over_Chippewa_water _line.html (broken link)

I would be WEARY of this before deciding to move here. I am not reassured personally that our water level will NOT go down due to this. The article quotes: "If residents have concerns, they need to verify the level of their well now, so that they can tell if there has been an effect on their well in the future," said Obrecht. Sounds to me like a big pain. We are dependent on our well for ALL of our water needs (where I personally live here in Doylestown), and now this is another burden and expense to have our water level tested now. We already have an excessive amount of iron in our water from our well (requiring three various tanks via our water system cleaner - at over $5,000 to install), and now this. Water is NOT a small thing; pretty much most of what you need to do on a daily basis requires water.

For me, I spend too much time OUTSIDE Doylestown to do various errands, etc. because there is not very much that I can do here. I spend too much time driving back and forth. If you want more details, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by Donna7; 08-05-2009 at 05:36 AM..

Old 08-06-2009, 12:20 AM

160 posts, read 644,252 times
is sun valley or the valley inn as it was changed to still in doylestown??

Old 08-07-2009, 02:23 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasharon View Post
is sun valley or the valley inn as it was changed to still in doylestown??
Valley Inn - the one on Portage??? Tavern and restaurant?? If it's the one I'm thinking of, it IS in business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio