Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2009, 09:58 AM

5 posts, read 21,385 times

Advertisements

I get the impression that libraries and schools in Ohio are excellent.

Can anyone confirm/deny/give their own impression, especially regarding libraries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 10:33 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,103 times
I'll confirm it. We spend a lot of money on our libraries, no reason why they shouldn't be amongst the best in the country.

Library Rankings

500,000+ Residents
1) Columbus Metropolitan Library
2) Cuyahoga County Metropolitan Library
8) Cincinnati and Hamilton County Public Library

250,000+ Residents
9) Stark County District Library

100,000+ Residents
5) Medina County District Library

50,000+ Residents
1) Washington-Centerville Public Library
2) Worthington Public Library
4) Euclid Public Library
6) Willoughby-Eastlake Public Library
7) Geauga County Public Library
9) Lakewood Public Library

There are actually a few more smaller ones on the list in the categories of 25,000 residents and below, but I don't feel like typing all of them out right now.

Library Name

Old 05-29-2009, 02:07 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times
Absolutely outstanding library system, probably among the best in the country. Far, far better than what I now have out here in CA.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:09 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,146,396 times
The quality of the libraries in Ohio far exceed what you find in most of the rest of the country. Even the Middletown Public library system which serves my area - West Chester - is rated as one of the best in the country.

I find it exceptionally hard to believe that Cincinnati's would only rank 8th. I would put it in the top 5.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:11 PM

13 posts, read 33,559 times
Since you ask about both schools and libraries, I'll touch on both.

Schools vary quite a bit based on what district you are in. There are some fantastic schools in Ohio, but there are some that are quite awful as well. I can't really give you a sweeping generalization, but you can find good schools if you look in the right locations. Our funding system for schools is quite odd, and the center of a lot of political controversy.

Libraries, on the other hand, are pretty easy to generalize: They're great.

From the HAPLR link posted above, they rank the top 10 in the following categories: 500k+, 250-500k, 100-250k, 50-100k, 25-50k, 10-25k, 5-10k, 2500-5000, 1000-2500, and 1000 or less. 10 categories with top 10 each, for 100 total public libraries listed from the country.

Ohio libraries account for thirty one out of the hundred listed.

This doesn't take into account some of the other fantastic libraries at various colleges located in the state. As an Ohio University student, Alden library here offers more than a hundred computer workstations. The collection here includes more than 2 million printed volumes, and the library is available to those who attend, attended, work at, or live in adjacent counties to Ohio University. I'm certain there are others that are similarly impressive at OSU, Miami, BG, etc.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:29 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anorris View Post
Since you ask about both schools and libraries, I'll touch on both.

Schools vary quite a bit based on what district you are in. There are some fantastic schools in Ohio, but there are some that are quite awful as well. I can't really give you a sweeping generalization, but you can find good schools if you look in the right locations. Our funding system for schools is quite odd, and the center of a lot of political controversy.
Good information for the original poster. Here's more:

U.S. Chamber of Commerce - Leaders and Laggards: A State-by-State Report Card on Educational Effectiveness

Ohio gets a "B" on that rating for its overall educational system. Not bad, but still some room for improvement, especially in the larger urban districts.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:58 AM

5 posts, read 21,385 times
Thank you for the replies.

Can you explain why Ohio has such outstanding libraries? Has there been a historical commitment to support them? Are they funded locally or state-wide?

Old 06-03-2009, 07:22 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,508 times
One reason, at least, is that libraries in Ohio are guaranteed a certain percentage of state tax revenue every year. I believe it's sales tax, and they get around 2% of the proceeds. So, not only do they get a fairly generous contribution from the state, but they know about how much they will get each year, which means no last minute planning and scrambling for funds, which is the case in many places. With an assured, steady stream of income they can consistently acquire materials and make long range plans for facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio