Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:40 PM

104 posts, read 313,715 times

Advertisements

I think most capital cities tend to do well in general compared to other metropolitan areas around the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 04:05 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,627,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgasper View Post
I think most capital cities tend to do well in general compared to other metropolitan areas around the state.
Ehh.. If Columbus didn't annex all that land, it wouldn't be looked at the same. It was struggling to stay above 200,000 people just 10 years ago.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:05 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,272,679 times
So does anyone want to post figures that show that Columbus, as a metropolitan area, isn't doing better than the states other metropolitan areas?

Old 05-28-2009, 09:52 PM

914 posts, read 1,982,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
So does anyone want to post figures that show that Columbus, as a metropolitan area, isn't doing better than the states other metropolitan areas?
For some reason people are getting the city of Columbus and the metro area of Columbus confused. In terms of economic stability and population growth the metro area characteristics are infinitely more important than the city characteristics when comparing two or more areas against each other. Annexation has helped the city of Columbus see growth, but it has done nada to enhance metro Columbus. In all likelihood metro Columbus would be roughly equal in population and economic size regardless if annexation had occurred or not.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:18 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,278,239 times
^^ I disagree. The positives from annexation can a huge postive mental effect and influence on the region itself.

I think of it as a snowball effect... for example: "Columbus is on the up and up. I want to be in an area that shows growth."

So that person ends up moving to the area...not necessarily the city, continuing the postive vibes and flow of population. People want to move to a "growing" city/region, and with years of population increases on paper, it makes Columbus appear more attractive and more opportunity...which in turn creates these realities to a certain extent.

On the flip side, how many people want to move to a city/region that's considered a "dying" part of the country. In fact, that perpetuates that idea as well, which often times makes things worse. This hurts Cleveland for example to "get over the hump."

Now, would I want to see Cleveland have adopted similar policies if they could have over the years? Not necessarily, since I like the denser areas of the "city," but I also fear that once Columbus starts using up all that farm land it has aquired with seemingly "sprawl", it may begin to run into similar problems faces by the cities around it. On the other hand, the only way to go at that point is build up!

Old 05-29-2009, 02:23 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,145,432 times
Which is more satisfying, and sustainable in the long run, when you have an incredible sweet tooth....a seemingly large and attractive wad of puffed up cotton candy which quickly melts away to nothing when you bite into it, or a smaller rather ordinary looking Snicker's bar which has genuine bulk all throughout?

Something else...what has Louisville's recent city/county merger done for its reputation? What have been the benefits in terms of added growth (businesses/population) to the area, if any?

Old 05-29-2009, 04:50 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,715,078 times
The Louisville scenario is the best in my opinion ... the system they've created helps promote development as you do away with county/city bickering that plagues future potential.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:25 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,145,432 times
But what kind of growth has taken place in Louisville since the merger? Or maybe there hasn't been enough time yet...?

Anyway, do you think that's what Hamilton County and Cincinnati should do?

Old 05-31-2009, 09:31 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,278,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
These would be my only arguments:

Metro average salary:

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v320/231/8/646320213/n646320213_3835202_448.jpg (broken link)

TOTAL POPULATION:

Cincinnati Metro: 2.2 mil (OH, KY, IN)
Cleveland Metro: 2.2 mil (2.9 mil is count bordering counties of Summit, Portage....Cleveland's CSA)
Columbus Metro: 1.7 mil

Last edited by costello_musicman; 05-31-2009 at 09:45 PM..

Old 05-31-2009, 10:07 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,272,679 times
Thank you, I'm not surprised at those numbers in the least bit. In fact, I'm not really convinced anymore that Columbus is doing so much better than other regions in the state. Perhaps a few years back, but not anymore.

Now I'm beginning to wonder just how much better off Cleveland or Cincinnati would be doing if either of those cities were the state capital and home to the largest public university in the state (and country for that matter)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio