Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:57 PM

560 posts, read 1,708,039 times

Advertisements

Hello. We've been looking at the Youngstown area for some time but decided against moving because of taxes. The topic of moving has recently come up again. Since Y-town is so close to PA, we thought maybe we should look at New Castle or other cities in the area.

I own my own business and was wondering which state is more business friendly and has lower taxes... PA or OH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 09:00 AM

7,686 posts, read 13,087,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post
Hello. We've been looking at the Youngstown area for some time but decided against moving because of taxes. The topic of moving has recently come up again. Since Y-town is so close to PA, we thought maybe we should look at New Castle or other cities in the area.

I own my own business and was wondering which state is more business friendly and has lower taxes... PA or OH?
Your going to find that Ohio hasn't been Business Tax Friendly for a long time, because of that idiot Bob Taft we finally got rid of. We're hoping that Gov. Strickland (D) can turn things around for us here and put Ohio back on her feet again. Good Luck on your search .

Old 06-06-2009, 09:27 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,887,189 times
I've always thought Pa was worse for taxes, but i could be wrong. Property tax in Pa sucks because they can raise your school tax whenever they want. Here in Ohio you get to vote on school taxes.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
I've always thought Pa was worse for taxes, but i could be wrong. Property tax in Pa sucks because they can raise your school tax whenever they want. Here in Ohio you get to vote on school taxes.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't PA a common wealth state?

Old 06-06-2009, 10:21 AM

843 posts, read 1,292,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Your going to find that Ohio hasn't been Business Tax Friendly for a long time, because of that idiot Bob Taft we finally got rid of. We're hoping that Gov. Strickland (D) can turn things around for us here and put Ohio back on her feet again. Good Luck on your search .
Has Strickland done anything about lowering business taxes? Or sales tax? Or any type of personal taxes or fees?

Old 06-06-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
Has Strickland done anything about lowering business taxes? Or sales tax? Or any type of personal taxes or fees?
I don't, I haven't talked to him. But like some many politians, just give them some time to either screw-up or clean-up. Bob Taft did nothing but screw-up the Buckeye state.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:40 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,245,529 times
Taft was a moron. Strickland isn't doing anything significant either way to effect the future of Ohio. Blackwell would have been better on economic issues, but unfortunately he is a religious zealot.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Taft was a moron. Strickland isn't doing anything significant either way to effect the future of Ohio. Blackwell would have been better on economic issues, but unfortunately he is a religious zealot.

Ouch! Nice slam

Old 06-06-2009, 10:26 PM

843 posts, read 1,292,848 times
I met Taft when he was Secretary of State. Seemed like a decent enough guy. His family lineage would have suggested he would have made a good governor, if that is possible.

If I were Strickalnd I would do the following things to create jobs in Ohio:

1. Cut all state taxes to one half percent. This means all business taxes and personal taxes. Get rid of the sales tax altogether. And get rid of all fees for services. Fee is a nice word for tax.
2. Pass a law that would make unionizing a workplace illegal.
3. Pass a law making it illegal for employers to offer health insurance.
4. Get rid of all environmental, workplace and minumum wage laws.
5. Cut all government services that are unecessary. i.e. the state can build roads, have a national guard and have a child welfare office, settle lawsuits and lock up criminals.

Everything else would be done by private enterprise. This includes parks, schools, marriage licenses, and all the other stuff that government has proven it can't do.

6. Shoot all environmentalists in the head until they were dead.

If Ohio did even half of that stuff then it would have the best economy in the world.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:05 PM

5,494 posts, read 9,431,107 times
But who would want to live there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: