U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 01:47 AM

33 posts, read 43,191 times
Cleveland and especially Cincinnati aren't diverse or socially progressive enough to be a called a "global city". Columbus wins hands down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 02:26 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,950,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
Cleveland:
-Yes, when you say "Cleveland" almost anywhere people will assume you're talking about Cleveland, OH whether you said Ohio or not. Especially now with the Cleveland Clinic being so large and universal. Sports teams add to that and the reputation, Drew Carey, Lebron James, Bone Thugs n Harmony, John D. Rockefeller, and many others are all well known across the country and world and have helped to get the city recognized in that aspect.
-To some degree.
-Yes, 2.1 million people 2.9 million if you count Akron and 5.2 million in the entire NE Ohio region. Very large population center.
-Yes, CLE, Cleveland Hopkins International Airport.
-Yes, many highways and mass transit/public transportation. RTA, light rail, heavy rail, Buses, Amtrak and possibly a regional rail coming soon.
-Yes, Asia Town, Little Italy, Near Westside/Lorain (Puerto Rican/Hispanic Culture/Community), Glenville Fairfax, etc. (African American Culture/Community), many others etc.
-Yes Cleveland is a major banking and Federal Reserve center.
-Yes, Cleveland was named one of Americas most "wired cities" (ahead of all other Ohio cities) with almost the entire area has cell phone service reception and internet provider services, etc.
-Yes, many museums, universities, and other cultural institutions. Playhouse Square, Cleveland Opera, Cleveland Orchestra, Severance Hall, Blossom Music Center, Cleveland Museum of Art, etc. etc.
-Yes, as mentioned in the previous one. Great Lakes theater festival, Oktoberfest, Puerto Rican Day Parade/Latino Fest (Lorain also with international festival), St. Patricks' day parade, Broadway Musicals, many others etc.
-Yes, to some degree. Cleveland Plain Dealer, other news papers, 5 news channels, etc.
-Yes, very much. 3 very major sports teams and many smaller teams and minor league ones in Cleveland or close by. Quicken Loans Arena (Gund Arena), Progressive Field (Jacobs Field), Browns Stadium, etc. I know I'm missing some but I'm not sure about the last part, I would imagine that we had the capability to do some of those though.

I don't think any other city/metro in Ohio can get close to that. No disrespect to them of course. But yes I believe Cleveland is the most Global City in Ohio.
I agree with all the above.
Columbus may be recognized due to it being the state capital.
Akron used used to be called the "Rubber Capitol of the World. But that is long gone.
But Cleveland has the sports teams, the museums, one of the most highly rated medical facilities in the world. The Cleveland Clinic, etc, etc.
Another reason it could be considered most global is because of Lake Erie. It can import or export goods and products to or from any place on the globe by ship.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:24 AM

3,170 posts, read 6,586,268 times
^Akron is now the polymer capital of the world.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:53 AM

2,204 posts, read 4,352,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarter614 View Post
Cleveland and especially Cincinnati aren't diverse or socially progressive enough to be a called a "global city". Columbus wins hands down.
The problem, in Cbus' case is that you remove the University and it ever being there and what do you have? I don't know - I'm not claiming one point over the other, but I'd say that the overall picture changes.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:15 AM

1,847 posts, read 2,656,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
none of them! go in Europe and ask about Cleveland and 1 in 20 people will probably know where it is or what it is! few people will know where Houston or Atlanta (although Atlanta is better known than Houston) is and you talk about Cleveland?
LOL. The last time I was in Europe I was talking to a Dutch girl and when I told her that I originally grew up near Cleveland she said that she had not heard of it, but knew of the Cleveland character from the Family Guy show.

Anyway, I would say the Cleveland and Cincinnati are still a notch above Columbus. Frankly, I have always found that many Columbus residents have an overinflated view of their city.

None of these cities are pounding on the door of global city status any time soon. Cleveland's location on an uber water source may come into factor one day, but well beyond our lifetimes.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:22 PM

3,070 posts, read 7,718,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarter614 View Post
Maybe Columbus is more diverse than Cincinnati, but Cleveland is more diverse than both and that's actually a fact you can look it up. And Cleveland is easily as socially progressive as Columbus, if not more. People like to take into account the college, that Columbus is growing, and that the neighborhoods are more integrated (in general, and ignoring everything else) somehow makes it more "progressive" than Cleveland, and all they take into account with Cleveland is that we're losing population so we're not "progressive"? lol. I doubt most people saying this even know what that word means.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:50 PM

993 posts, read 1,182,109 times
Quote:
I doubt most people saying this even know what that word means.
Exactly. To be honest, I'm not even sure what they meant. Just for comparison, if presidential election results are any indicator of a city/region's "social progressiveness"...

Do you see that pocket of blue in the Northeast corner?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38403603@N03/5033447321/ (broken link)

Ohio-Presidential-Election-Results-by-County-1992-1996-2000-2004 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/38403603@N03/5033447321/ - broken link) by Ohio OWNS (http://www.flickr.com/people/38403603@N03/ - broken link), on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38403603@N03/5033447321/ (broken link)

Old 10-19-2010, 12:26 AM

33 posts, read 43,191 times
Quote:
Maybe Columbus is more diverse than Cincinnati, but Cleveland is more diverse than both and that's actually a fact you can look it up. And Cleveland is easily as socially progressive as Columbus, if not more. People like to take into account the college, that Columbus is growing, and that the neighborhoods are more integrated (in general, and ignoring everything else) somehow makes it more "progressive" than Cleveland, and all they take into account with Cleveland is that we're losing population so we're not "progressive"? lol. I doubt most people saying this even know what that word means.
Definition of progressive.....

"Favoring or advocating progress, change, improvement, or reform, as opposed to wishing to maintain things as they are."

Unfortunately you don't know the definition but I wont hold it against you. Have you been in Columbus in 2010? You have blacks, whites, Hispanics, asians on all sides and I'm not even talking about OSU. Columbus is the most diverse city in the state. Also our neighborhoods are way more integrated than Cleveland how can you deny that... I have love for Cleveland been thru Cleveland but the posters on here feel the need to talk on down on Columbus i guess to make their city feel superior. Columbus is a great city no need to talk down on us.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:21 PM

3,070 posts, read 7,718,698 times
I know what progressive means, and based on that Cleveland is just as progressive as Columbus, if not more. Are you even keeping up with what's going on in Cleveland? A lot of changes and new developments are going on, unfortunately the government up here/people who run things are idiots and most of NE Ohio government is corrupt (similar to Detroit/SE Michigan), but many of the people in NE Ohio are progressive minded.

It's funny you say Cleveland posters talk down on Columbus when you're doing just that to Cleveland, not even that but you're just making up stuff to do it. How is Columbus the most diverse city in Ohio? Diverse as in what? Racially? Columbus is still nearly 2/3 white, and the area is nearly 80% white ( http://blog.oregonlive.com/news_impa...race.top40.jpg ), so I don't know how you could come to that conclusion. Cleveland has a much higher percent (and larger number) of Blacks, and Hispanics in the city limits and metro/area (I would probably add Arabs as well), maybe Columbus has more Asians but that's about it.

Columbus 2006-08:

Cleveland 2006-08:

Looks like Cleveland is more racially diverse than Columbus, all Columbus has is more Asians. Add to that the Cleveland metro/area itself, let's look at some other Cleveland area cities.
Shaker Heights 2006-08:

Euclid 2006-08:

Lorain 2000 (black, hispanic, and mixed have increased several %)

Cleveland Heights 2006-08:

Last edited by BelieveInCleve; 10-19-2010 at 04:33 PM..

Old 10-19-2010, 08:29 PM

2,482 posts, read 2,021,456 times
Only 2 Ohio cities are known as "stand-alones" in the media, meaning they don't need the state after their name in newspaper datelines, TV, press releases, etc. Those cities are Cincinnati and Cleveland - they don't need state ID. Columbus is not a stand-alone and is always identified as "Columbus, Ohio." Stand-alones (of which there are 27 in the U.S) are the most recognized cities in the country.

Associated Press stand-alone cities: New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Miami, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, St. Louis, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, Denver, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Las Vegas and Honolulu.

No offense to Columbus, which I like, but the city isn't even well-known enough to distinguish itself from a smaller Georgia city by the same name.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 10-19-2010 at 08:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio