Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 04:31 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,042,403 times

Advertisements

Wouldn't you agree?

Ohio has only slightly fewer people than Illinois, (11.5 versus 12.5 million respectively), but also (Ohio) a bit smaller in area.

Basically same latitude, similar topography and vegetation (although forested, hillly areas cover a bigger portion of Ohio)

The only major difference betwen the two states, is that Ohio has its metro areas spread out more than Illinois. Thats the only difference I see.

When you add up the metro areas of the three C-cities, they add up to about 6 million, only a couple million less than Chicagos (Cincy metro: 2million, Cleveland metro: about 2.5, and Colombus: 1.5 million).

And in a way Chicago is like all three cities wrapped into one, with a certain synergy that makes the sum only a little greater than the parts.

Cincy was the first major metropolis west of the Appalachians, competing with St. Louis and Chicago as the transportation hub and meatpacking center in the 19th century, but lost out when railroads replaced steamships as the preferred transport method. Germans and Irish are the biggest ancestries because that whos was coming to America at that time.

Then came the 20th century and Cleveland took over as the major city as an industrial behemoth that attracted labor from all over Europe, like Chicago did at the same time (Polish, Italian, Jewish, etc.) bringing cultural diversity at that time.

In the 21st century, Colombus has taken over as the most economically diversified/stable cities and is more postindustrial, but a bit more "suburban" thatn the other two.

Would you agree, what happened during the dominance of three cities happened in just one city, it would be just like Illinois with Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 06:49 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,191,066 times
No. Ohio is much more topographically interesting than Illinois. It also has a much longer lakeshore and the influence that brings, as well as large a Appalachian influence in the southern part of the state. Ohio lacks the large Mexican population that Illinois has.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:08 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,042,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
No. Ohio is much more topographically interesting than Illinois. It also has a much longer lakeshore and the influence that brings, as well as large a Appalachian influence in the southern part of the state. Ohio lacks the large Mexican population that Illinois has.
Illinois does have those hilly areas, they just a cover a much smaller percentage of the state. (You have to look on a map). NW Ohio is just as flat as most of N. Illinois. And you definitely have the Appalachian (really more Ozark) influence in southern Illinois.

The Mexican population is mostly in and around Chicago. Which is just more of a reflection of Chicagos relative economy and ability to still attract large numbers of immigrants. Although, Cleveland does have one of the larger Puerto Rican populations outside of New York and Chicago.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:40 AM

^^^

Yes, NW Ohio and generally the I-75 corridor is very much like Illinois. That is only about 40% of the State though. I know Illinois has hilly areas, but they are much much smaller in area than what Ohio has. SE Ohio is practiaclly like West Virginia and NE Ohio is like western PA or NY, neither of which feel like Illinois to me. Illinois is in the center of Midwest while Ohio borders the northeast and Appalachia. These factors certainly have an influence on these states. I live in Illinois and grew up in Ohio, so I have a pretty good idea of how these two states compare.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:47 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,915,350 times
i see what you're saying...sort of. each of ohio's three Cs is culturally distinct, so considering the three to somehow equal chicago doesn't really add up. plus illinois doesn't have a dayton, akron, or toledo

Old 10-26-2010, 12:26 PM

41,737 posts, read 74,713,397 times
Is that kinda like saying Ohio is like Florida, except for the ocean and the alligators?

Old 10-26-2010, 12:34 PM

118 posts, read 277,879 times
Quote:
Ohio lacks the large Mexican population that Illinois has.
Apparently, you've never been to Columbus.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:17 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,057,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgold978 View Post
Yet, even Columbus doesn't have proportionally the number of Mexican immigrants coming into the city as Chicago has. It's not a traditional Gateway City a la NYC, LA, Chicago. I'm not saying they aren't here (or in Butler County), but that they just don't make up the large influx of immigrants coming into the area. The large number of immigrants Columbus sees are Somalis, and possibly Indian and Asian minorities in NW Columbus neighborhoods. Perhaps I need to travel down W. Broad more often because this is where I believe that Latin American enclave is building steam.

While Illinois doesn't have a Dayton or Akron, it does have a couple small Youngstowns or Springfields in Perioa and Springfield. Another thing that helps Illinois is the metro's of the Quad Cities and St. Louis but especially St. Louis. Those suburbs outside St. Louis (Fairview Heights, O'Fallon, etc) help boost Illinois population as well.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgold978 View Post
Comparing the Mexican population of Columbus to Chicago is laughable. In fact I bet Rockford has more Mexicans than Columbus, not to mention cities like Elgin and Aurora.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:35 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,057,847 times
Quote:
Comparing the Mexican population of Columbus to Chicago is laughable. In fact I bet Rockford has more Mexicans than Columbus, not to mention cities like Elgin and Aurora.
Or Elyria, Lorain, and some of the Cleveland area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio