Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 07:39 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,315 times

Advertisements

Just curious what you think on this issue...

Here's a list of characteristics as defined by the Wikipedia article on Global City (Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The characteristics sometimes chosen includeDebate away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 07:48 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
Based on those characteristics/that definition it would definitely have to be Cleveland, no contest.

Next would be Cincinnati and then Columbus, although Columbus is continuously growing and improving.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:10 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times
Why not just use the GaWC rankings that come out every few years?

GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2008

Anyways, no city in Ohio is a true "global city." Cleveland is probably the closest and most established, but Columbus has come on quite a bit in recent years and will probably surpass Cleveland very soon (if it already hasn't).

Old 06-06-2009, 08:29 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,146,119 times
First, can we please please PLEASE learn to spell "Cincinnati" correctly? I'm so fed up with people spelling it "Cincinatti", or "Cinncinati" or "Cinccinatti"....and other similar variations. Come on...people don't spell "Cleveland" as "Cleavland", nor do they spell "Columbus" as "Collumbuss". It's really not that hard.

Now onwards....

With respect to that list of characteristics which define a "global city", there are obviously some areas in which each city stands out moreso than the other two. However, none of Ohio's 3 major cities would be classified as "global cities", since no single one of them incorporates everything on that list of characteristics.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:03 PM

843 posts, read 1,297,688 times
I would say no Ohio cities would qualify. Whenever I have been overseas I have found that most people have never even heard of Ohio. Only cities in the Midwest people in other countries know about are Detroit, Chicago and St Louis.

But if I had to rank them on potential I would go:

1) Cleveland
2) Akron
3) Cincinnati
4) Toledo
5) Columbus
6) Dayton

Old 06-06-2009, 10:09 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
Only cities in the Midwest people in other countries know about are Detroit, Chicago and St Louis.
Apparently folks around the world remember the 1904 Olympic Games!

Old 06-06-2009, 11:08 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
When I was in Italy, when asked where I was from by a sales person I would obviously say Ohio. Then, on more than one occasion, they asked if I was from the Columbus area. I was a bit surprised at first. But I don't give Columbus credit for this. I think it was a sales tactic to memorize the capitals of our states so that the salesperson could sound like they knew something about where their potential customer (tourist) came from.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:15 AM

405 posts, read 1,213,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
First, can we please please PLEASE learn to spell "Cincinnati" correctly? I'm so fed up with people spelling it "Cincinatti", or "Cinncinati" or "Cinccinatti"....and other similar variations. Come on...people don't spell "Cleveland" as "Cleavland", nor do they spell "Columbus" as "Collumbuss". It's really not that hard.
That says something about how unnatural the spelling is, but also may say something as to Cincinnati not being a global city. I would say the top 3 in Ohio are Cleveland, then Columbus, then Cincinnati. Columbus is probably getting close to Cleveland as far as recognition. I think it's a shame, my favorite cities (by far) are Cleveland and Cincinnati, but I just think that's the way outsiders look at Ohio cities.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:04 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,715,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam40jeff View Post
That says something about how unnatural the spelling is, but also may say something as to Cincinnati not being a global city.
... or that it was once ranked the 5th hardest city in the U.S. to spell. lol

The answer: none.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:29 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
Cleveland:
-Yes, when you say "Cleveland" almost anywhere people will assume you're talking about Cleveland, OH whether you said Ohio or not. Especially now with the Cleveland Clinic being so large and universal. Sports teams add to that and the reputation, Drew Carey, Lebron James, Bone Thugs n Harmony, John D. Rockefeller, and many others are all well known across the country and world and have helped to get the city recognized in that aspect.
-To some degree.
-Yes, 2.1 million people 2.9 million if you count Akron and 5.2 million in the entire NE Ohio region. Very large population center.
-Yes, CLE, Cleveland Hopkins International Airport.
-Yes, many highways and mass transit/public transportation. RTA, light rail, heavy rail, Buses, Amtrak and possibly a regional rail coming soon.
-Yes, Asia Town, Little Italy, Near Westside/Lorain (Puerto Rican/Hispanic Culture/Community), Glenville Fairfax, etc. (African American Culture/Community), many others etc.
-Yes Cleveland is a major banking and Federal Reserve center.
-Yes, Cleveland was named one of Americas most "wired cities" (ahead of all other Ohio cities) with almost the entire area has cell phone service reception and internet provider services, etc.
-Yes, many museums, universities, and other cultural institutions. Playhouse Square, Cleveland Opera, Cleveland Orchestra, Severance Hall, Blossom Music Center, Cleveland Museum of Art, etc. etc.
-Yes, as mentioned in the previous one. Great Lakes theater festival, Oktoberfest, Puerto Rican Day Parade/Latino Fest (Lorain also with international festival), St. Patricks' day parade, Broadway Musicals, many others etc.
-Yes, to some degree. Cleveland Plain Dealer, other news papers, 5 news channels, etc.
-Yes, very much. 3 very major sports teams and many smaller teams and minor league ones in Cleveland or close by. Quicken Loans Arena (Gund Arena), Progressive Field (Jacobs Field), Browns Stadium, etc. I know I'm missing some but I'm not sure about the last part, I would imagine that we had the capability to do some of those though.

I don't think any other city/metro in Ohio can get close to that. No disrespect to them of course. But yes I believe Cleveland is the most Global City in Ohio.

Last edited by BelieveInCleve; 06-07-2009 at 11:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio