U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which of these three cities/metro areas has the brightest future?
Cincinnati 53 32.92%
Columbus 51 31.68%
Cleveland 48 29.81%
Dunno 9 5.59%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 02:33 PM

7,733 posts, read 4,953,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hall View Post
Do you talk to people in person like this?
No, because I don't usually have to, but trying to get a straightforward answer from you can be difficult. And I notice you still didn't answer the question. Will you accept those numbers or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 02:50 PM

465 posts, read 130,671 times
So you do talk to people like this if you "have to". It is amazing that someone thinks that they "have to" talk to people in such ways. You must spend a lot of time alone.

I have always accepted census and bls numbers. I have disagreed with you're interpretation of these numbers. There is no such thing a one absolute undeniable 'truth' contained within any human creation such as a statistic. All statistics are open to interpretation all the time. Statistics are a starting point, not a conclusion.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
So you do talk to people like this if you "have to". It is amazing that someone thinks that they "have to" talk to people in such ways. You must spend a lot of time alone.

I have always accepted census and bls numbers. I have disagreed with you're interpretation of these numbers. There is no such thing a one absolute undeniable 'truth' contained within any human creation such as a statistic. All statistics are open to interpretation all the time. Statistics are a starting point, not a conclusion.
Did you by chance major in philosphy? Only one other person I've ever known talks like this. The "nothing means anything and anything means everything" line is Philosphy 101. Look, this is all very simple. On a forum like this, information is shared. If you disagree with that information, you are free to offer counter information and hence a debate is born. When you are involved, the process is... information is offered, information is called meaningless, discussion over. What's interesting is that you seem to lack the will to do any heavy lifting at all unless you're practically begged to do so. Criticism without alternative is lazy and intellectually dishonest. I'm sure you fancy yourself to be pretty intelligent, so how about you try using that intelligence for something beyond waving your hand in dismissal.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:59 PM

Wow, this post deserves some kind of award for the most arrogant and patronizing writing in the English language. Still, this kind of thing probably comes easily to you. Look, just admit that you can't handle people contradicting you. On a forum like this information is presented and opinions shared. If you disagree with those opinions you are free to offer counter opinions. While I am glad to see that you know the theory, I'm sorry to say that you can't seem to master it in practice. If it wasn't Columbus it would probably be some other convenient topic with which you could verbally bludgeon people. I suppose it helps that columbus is a topic that almost no one cares about and therefore a topic on which no one bothers to contradict you; least of all in columbus itself. I'm sure you fancy yourself to be better than others here, so how about you try to use that breathtaking arrogance for something beyond propagandizing for a place no one else cares about at all.

Last edited by Matthew Hall; 02-05-2012 at 07:08 PM..

Old 02-05-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Wow, this post deserves some kind of award for the most arrogant and patronizing writing in the English language. Still, this kind of thing probably comes easily to you. Look, just admit that you can't handle people contradicting you. On a forum like this information is presented and opinions shared. If you disagree with those opinions you are free to offer counter opinions. While I am glad to see that you know the theory, I'm sorry to say that you can't seem to master it in practice. If it wasn't Columbus it would probably be some other convenient topic with which you could verbally bludgeon people. I suppose it helps that columbus is a topic that almost no one cares about and therefore a topic on which no one bothers to contradict you; least of all in columbus itself. I'm sure you fancy yourself to be better than others here, so how about you try to use that breathtaking arrogance for something beyond propagandizing for a place no one else cares about at all.
Funny, because I left for a few weeks during my move, and it seemed that other people stepped up in my place, and the Columbus forum has had tons of relocation threads recently. I know it's your personal wet dream that no one likes Columbus and I am just some rare outlier, but clearly that's not the case and the city is on many radars in a positive light. I'm not sure why it drives you so nutty, but it clearly does. What's funny is that I never see you really talking about your city that much. You seem to find more to say about Columbus than anywhere else. What does that say?

Old 02-05-2012, 08:08 PM

That makes two of you. You should meet. If you can't handle being contradicted, don't post here. Let these "other people" speak for themselves. Unlike you uncertainty about my motives, I am sure why you "doeth protest too much" about columbus. For some reason, you can't bring yourself to leave columbus permanently, yet at the same time you can't shake the feeling that you are missing out on something important by remaining in Columbus, so you seek to convince yourself that you aren't really missing out, by trying to convince other of the same thing. Your almost psychotic devotion to columbus propagandizing is your attempt to convince yourself my convincincing others that you aren't missing out by remaining in Columbus. You stated that you are in Mexico, but you are spending your time writing about columbus. That says it all. You can't cut the cord and just be a person in the world. I actually sympathize with you. You are torn and are trying to reconcile two irreconcilable things. That's life. Grow up and accept and acknowledge the good and bad in your life and in columbus and stop pretending that you or Columbus somehow 'have it all.' No one and nowhere does.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
That makes two of you. You should meet. If you can't handle being contradicted, don't post here. Let these "other people" speak for themselves. Unlike you uncertainty about my motives, I am sure why you "doeth protest too much" about columbus. For some reason, you can't bring yourself to leave columbus permanently, yet at the same time you can't shake the feeling that you are missing out on something important by remaining in Columbus, so you seek to convince yourself that you aren't really missing out, by trying to convince other of the same thing. Your almost psychotic devotion to columbus propagandizing is your attempt to convince yourself my convincincing others that you aren't missing out by remaining in Columbus. You stated that you are in Mexico, but you are spending your time writing about columbus. That says it all. You can't cut the cord and just be a person in the world. I actually sympathize with you. You are torn and are trying to reconcile two irreconcilable things. That's life. Grow up and accept and acknowledge the good and bad in your life and in columbus and stop pretending that you or Columbus somehow 'have it all.' No one and nowhere does.
Good lord, quite the speech. I give it a B, not the best I've seen, a little too much preachy psychology for my taste.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:00 AM

2,109 posts, read 1,556,036 times
^ Hey, jbcmh81--just minutes ago I left a similar observation (although without Matthew's erudition) on the recent thread: "Cleveland vs. Indianapolis vs.THE WORLD"--but I'll say it again here... You'll be back, jbcmh81, because you can't afford to stay away...

Old 02-06-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ Hey, jbcmh81--just minutes ago I left a similar observation (although without Matthew's erudition) on the recent thread: "Cleveland vs. Indianapolis vs.THE WORLD"--but I'll say it again here... You'll be back, jbcmh81, because you can't afford to stay away...
Apparently the thread has been deleted, as I don't see it. I have no idea what you mean by that. The last time I moved back, it was because the job I had ended and the visa/work requirements were different at the time. That has zero chance of happening this time. In any case, if the argument is that I can't stand to be away because I liked living there and still enjoy debating about it is just terrible logic. You can like a place and defend it and still enjoy living elsewhere. It's the same with people who move away from Cincinnati. They may love Cincinnati, as you apparently do, but for many reasons they move (jobs, family, retirement) and many of them never come back. That doesn't mean, also, that they can't still have an interest in Cincinnati's future as a city, as I do for Columbus.

I'm still wondering why that should bother you or anyone so much.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:48 PM

2,554 posts, read 3,913,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
I wish I would have been able to see where that thread was going. My weekend got a little crazy and I had planned on finishing it the next day. I had a good idea for that thread too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio