Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these three cities/metro areas has the brightest future?
Cincinnati 55 30.90%
Columbus 59 33.15%
Cleveland 55 30.90%
Dunno 9 5.06%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 07:14 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
I never meant for it to be negative. I'm merely reiterating what others have said: Columbus still has a long way to go.

I meant in terms of population, not area. You do realize that a big reason that Columbus saw so much growth within the city proper was because of the vast amount of suburban-like construction that occured there over the past few decades, right? Older cities like Cleveland and Cincinnati don't have to the abundance of tacky McMansions within their city limits to attract families. That's just a reality that we have to face. Of course Cleveland has suburban sprawl, it's one of the major reasons that Cleveland is hurting so bad. That doesn't change the fact that the inner city here has much more character and history than Columbus.

Don't get me wrong, Columbus is growing, and it will continue to do so. Just remember that with mid-size cities like the three C's, everything is cyclical. If you honestly believe that Cleveland will be bleeding population forever, you're wrong. Things will eventually turn around for one reason or another. Perhaps the Columbus metro will become larger than Ctowns before that happens. Who knows?

My original point was, once Cleveland and Cincinnati start growing again, they have much more potential within their urban core than Columbus. That's all.
I am willing to wager every penny I have that no matter what Columbus does, there will still be people who will constantly bash it, and usually those people are from Cleveland. There has not been a single thread where Columbus was mentioned that there wasn't constant downplaying of anything going on there. If it's growth, it's all sprawl. If it's downtown development, it's just not as much as Cleveland or Cincinnati. If it's about culture, it's far behind the others in every catergory. And the list goes on and on. The complete lack of respect is amazing considering how hard the other two cities have fallen. You should be thankful we have at least one city in the state that's not making us look bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
It is not way out-performing the other cities. In population growth, yes, but other indicators, hell no.

Is Columbus very underrated, hell yeah it is, and I stick up for the city more than I put it down. I feel bad for actually being somewhat negative towards the city, but when there are members like you who clearly have a wall up and put opinions ahead of facts, then I feel like I must step in.

How do you know Columbus' constant growth won't change? Can you predict the future.

Where are your links? From now on, if you are going to state these amazing things happening in Columbus, then post links. Because at this point, all I can say is you are coming up with this stuff off the top of your head.

#1 in the US for construction job growth????

in the top 10 for Hispanic and Asian growth????

Where are these facts?
Both of these are readily available online. I know the construction job article was in the Dispatch a few months back. The top 10 lists were for the last decade. It's been posted on the forum, but I don't have a link to it. I know I posted it on my FB, I'll try to get it here.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
Columbus is in the top 10 fastest growth for Hispanics and Asians? I guarantee you that number is based entirely off of percentage, thus it's misleading. Looking at the US it wouldn't be hard for Columbus to have a top 10 spot seeing that it started out 2%-3% Hispanic and Asian...

Cleveland city proper and metro should not be compared to Columbus city proper and metro. Columbus city proper is 3 times the land area, and the metro has 60% more land area.

lol @ you love all 3, I guess that's why you bash Cleveland every chance you get

Columbus is outperforming the other cities in Ohio in population growth. Again, population growth does mean a lot but it doesn't automatically = better.

Yet again, Columbus city proper covers 3 times more land area than Cleveland and Cincinnati, and it's metro covers 60% more.

Just as I suspected, that "top 10 for Asian and Hispanic growth" is misleading seeing as it's entirely based off percentage. And I notice that article is from a year ago, those numbers are just estimates, it's not from the 2010 census thus it's not official. I don't doubt Columbus had at least that much % Asian and Hispanic growth, but you could try providing a link to the real numbers, and it's not hard for Columbus to be at that spot seeing it started out as having one of the lowest Hispanic % of any major city in the country in 2000, Asian as well (although it's higher than Cincinnatis and Clevelands).
Why are you guys so threatened by anything positive about Columbus? I'm totally serious with this question because you just can't let any praise or anything positive get through at all. If you all spent as much time rebuilding your own cities as you do talking down about the lone success story in the state, maybe we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:41 PM

860 posts, read 1,357,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Why are you guys so threatened by anything positive about Columbus? I'm totally serious with this question because you just can't let any praise or anything positive get through at all. If you all spent as much time rebuilding your own cities as you do talking down about the lone success story in the state, maybe we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
It's not just an Ohio thing, other states bicker over non sense like this as well. Columbus is on a roll, and is better now than it's ever been. I haven't hungout there for about 3 years or so, but everytime I'm up there, I have a blast. Cincy and Cleveland are cities past their prime, that are trying to re-invent themselves. They are doing a great job at it too, while still having a ways to go. Columbus on the other hand, seems to be in it's prime now and isn't reinventing itself, but rebranding itself. What I mean by this is, not completely switcing it's economy like the other cities have had to do, but instead building on to their current economic situation while trying to carve a name for themselves.

All 3 of our large cities have alot to learn from eachother, and need to take the negatives of eachother and use that as an example of what NOT to do. We should be greatful that a substantial amount of development is ocurring in the 3 C's. I really think all of them have equally bright futures, it's just a matter of who reaches their vision first. Too bad our high speed rail was killed, because I feel that would've been the ultimate "push" to accelerate this momentum we have going. Actually, the biggest negative about Columbus, is our p.o.s. governor who resides there, but that makes for another topic

Last edited by austiNati; 04-16-2011 at 09:42 PM..

Old 04-16-2011, 11:03 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You should be thankful we have at least one city in the state that's not making us look bad.
I'm not criticizing Columbus because of some deep seated hatred. As others have said, I'm just trying to bring some of you Columbus posters back down to earth.

Cleveland and Cincinnati can't lose population forever(hooray for mathematical impossibilities)! Let's hope that one day all of the 3 C's are growing and prospering.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:36 AM

285 posts, read 642,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
How does it outperform it when it comes economics????

Cleveland and Cincinnati both have pretty low unemployment rates, not much farther off from Columbus'. Also, I guess you forget just how diverse their economies are....

Cincinnati is home to Procter and Gamble, Great American Insurance, GE Aviation, Macy's, Kroger, Fifth Third, Western and Southern Finacial, Chiquita, etc.

Cleveland is home to the world reknowed Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, Sherwin Williams, Key Bank, the Federal Reserve, Eaton, Forest City Enterprises, NASA is a huge asset.

Columbus as well is home to many great corporations, but I think you take a declining population, and make that a huge picture for Cincy and Cleveland. You forget that Cleveland and Cincinnati have a lot going on in their downtowns, have have some pretty killer neighborhoods as well.
I haven't downgraded Cleveland and Cincy I'm just saying that Columbus has a stronger economy. Cleveland has some excellent assets, but as a whole Columbus has a stronger economy. Cleveland has done an amazing job at diversifying, but manufacturing is still an important part of its economy.

I think it would be great if Cleveland and Cincy boomed because they are great cities, but all signs seem to point to Columbus having long term economic prosperity.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
It's not just an Ohio thing, other states bicker over non sense like this as well. Columbus is on a roll, and is better now than it's ever been. I haven't hungout there for about 3 years or so, but everytime I'm up there, I have a blast. Cincy and Cleveland are cities past their prime, that are trying to re-invent themselves. They are doing a great job at it too, while still having a ways to go. Columbus on the other hand, seems to be in it's prime now and isn't reinventing itself, but rebranding itself. What I mean by this is, not completely switcing it's economy like the other cities have had to do, but instead building on to their current economic situation while trying to carve a name for themselves.

All 3 of our large cities have alot to learn from eachother, and need to take the negatives of eachother and use that as an example of what NOT to do. We should be greatful that a substantial amount of development is ocurring in the 3 C's. I really think all of them have equally bright futures, it's just a matter of who reaches their vision first. Too bad our high speed rail was killed, because I feel that would've been the ultimate "push" to accelerate this momentum we have going. Actually, the biggest negative about Columbus, is our p.o.s. governor who resides there, but that makes for another topic
That's the thing, I *want* Cincy and Cleveland to succeed, as it it good for our state overall. I just don't get why Columbus is so hated and disrespected by so many in the other 2 C's.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
I'm not criticizing Columbus because of some deep seated hatred. As others have said, I'm just trying to bring some of you Columbus posters back down to earth.

Cleveland and Cincinnati can't lose population forever(hooray for mathematical impossibilities)! Let's hope that one day all of the 3 C's are growing and prospering.
I haven't seen anything being said about Columbus that was unreasonable. It IS the fastest growing, both in city proper and metro. It IS on the fastest growing list for Hispanics and Asians. It does have the strongest economy of all major cities in the state. I didn't see anyone making ridiculous claims like that Dayton poster, like Columbus would be bigger than Chicago in 10 years or something.

Something some people seem to not understand is that just because Columbus may have these positives does not take away those positives in other cities. Cleveland and Cincy both have positives that Columbus does not have, and it makes no sense to constanly attack Columbus as if it is a personal issue. It's not.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:27 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Exactly what is it about CIN-DAY and its 2020 MSA of 3,200,000 that our friends in Columbus don't understand? Barring either an asteroid hit or a Chinese invasion, such a scenario is inevitable.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:46 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,521 times
i think everyone wants our cities to thrive.. i live in cleveland and in my 48yrs the city has never looked so good... if you havent been here lately come visit .. stay downtown and park your car for the wkend. go see an indians game, walk to the lake, walk to playhouse square and see a broadway play, explore the arcades, walk to e.4th.st. or the warehouse district. many fun places to eat or drink along the way... maybe catch a cheap cab over to tremont or ohio city and the westside market. maybe take a rapid or light rail over to little italy,shaker square or university circle. you can explore the museums in uc all day and have diner in little italy. . . cleveland is still a great city and its getting better !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio