U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-19-2008, 10:12 PM

2 posts, read 6,422 times
Default hello again

Dear Cathy,

How are you doing? We wer recently in contact when I mentioned I was applying to OU for grad school. I have recently been accepted and notified that I have been offered a fellowship.

I am currently searching for housing and am looking for an apartment within walking distance because I do not have a car. My building will mostly be Gordy Hall for my classes.

I would like to ask your opinion about the following apartments if you have any information
-Riverpark Towers
-Rivers Edge
-Carriage Hill

I have been searching for a studio, one bedroom or something attached to a house such as a basement. I will not be coming to Athens until the end of August or beginning of September; therefore, I will need to secure something before coming out there.

I am currently living in Boston. If you know of anyone who is looking to rent their apartment in August or September or if you know of any places that you would recommend living - I would appreciate it.

I have found most studio ranging from 500-650, and I would like to find something closer to 500. I am also aware of the housing on campus and was offered a one bedroom; however, 720 seems quite expensive....although it is very convenient.

My priority is a simple place that is close to campus. I am hoping to find something in the next week or two so that I can have things set for the upcoming school year.

I would appreciate any information you have found helpful during your search. Where are you living now, and are you going to stay in the same place next year?

Please feel free to email me at kaiadematteo@yahoo.com or here.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Peace,
Kaia
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 06:06 PM

443 posts, read 1,008,900 times
Default residential

where would a 50 something couple want to live if they work around the university?

Old 08-05-2008, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 14,813 times
Post East State St. is very nice

Hi Robbied,

If you want to stay within city limits, I would recommend the following:

1. The older part of Athens along East State St. is nice, between the uptown area and the strip-mall shopping area. The houses are nice, older styles ranging from the early 1900s to I'd guess, late 1940s/early 50s. Nice tree-lined streets, within walking distance of the bike path which runs to the campus, etc. A lot of grad students and professors live in this area, and it's not quite as overrun with obnoxious drunken undergrads.

I hope this link works:

east state street athens ohio - Google Maps

2. The area along N. Lancaster going towards Columbus Rd. is more of a quiet residential area, along with the neighborhoods in the hills above Columbus Rd. I personally live out in The Plains, which is a 15-minute drive from the campus area. It's a little more run-down looking but definitely far less students, mostly locals. The section of The Plains towards the Rt. 33 end has a nicer mix of residential houses:
east state street athens ohio - Google Maps

There are also nice places along the outlying rural roads - Rt. 691, Radford Rd., Rt. 56, etc.

Also, staff get special parking permits and proximity parking lot access, which is nice.

Good luck with your house-hunting!

Old 08-05-2008, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,816 times
Renting in Athens is way too expensive in my opinion. I am origionally from central ohio and the appartments that are $600/month slumlord places in athens are fantastic two story townhomes in reynoldsburg. Watch for the common ploy of /person. Many apartments are someting like $700/month/person or $1000/quarter/person. Not very family friendly. And unless you're qulified to work for conceited OU, prepare to grovel at Wal-Mart's feet for a job because they are the major employers and both have fairly bad reps as OU is constantly threatening strikes and walmart is well...walmart.
Great for going to school maybe but don't stay for a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio