Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 08:28 PM

436 posts, read 1,647,282 times

Advertisements

Well, then maybe the demographics in Findlay don't fit their marketing plan and that is why they are few and far between in the area?

I have 12 years of experience between retail and marketing/advertising put together and have worked for big box retailers and privately-held retailers as well - all leaders in their given industry niches.

I wasnt trying to be mean - it's just a little unnerving when the public gets upset about things that they may not understand and then start blaming the corporations for not spoon-feeding them every bit of information that they ask for.

And, yes, companies do like to tell the public where their stores will be - that is why PR departments put out press releases. That's cool that you and your friends shop there and spend all kinds of money. You're allowed if that is what you want to do - no one is telling you otherwise.

It's funny because when I used to work in Retail stores specifically, we would always have some random person get angry because they couldnt get their way and they would cry baby duck and explain loudly how they were never shopping there again. They fail to realize that they are only one person. Walk out that door and go to Walmart, then. *shrug* And then when Walmart p*sses you off because they won't give you your way, you're just going to come right back here.
As a customer myself, I just like to laugh at these people because I know that the customer is NOT always right. The difference is that I know that and can deal with it but a lot of other people can't see both sides. So, they storm out of stores, stomping their feet like children.
Granted, sometimes customers are right but that doesnt happen as much as everyone would like to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 08:48 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGrrl77 View Post
As a customer myself, I just like to laugh at these people because I know that the customer is NOT always right.
When I started working in retail 32 years ago, my boss told me, "The customer isn't always right, but he's always the customer." meaning, do what is best for the customer AND the business, keeping in mind that if you antagonize the customer unnecessarily, you will lose your livelihood. I'm not saying give the customer everything, just because they whine, but for goodness sakes, there are only 3 weeks left in July. If there are stores set to open in July, why be secretive about it now?

Now, this question for all the C-Ders out there in OH, are there any new Target stores getting ready to open in your area? If we can't get the information from corporate , we can get it from each other. After all, it is pretty hard to hide a Target store.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
When I started working in retail 32 years ago, my boss told me, "The customer isn't always right, but he's always the customer." meaning, do what is best for the customer AND the business, keeping in mind that if you antagonize the customer unnecessarily, you will lose your livelihood. I'm not saying give the customer everything, just because they whine, but for goodness sakes, there are only 3 weeks left in July. If there are stores set to open in July, why be secretive about it now?

Now, this question for all the C-Ders out there in OH, are there any new Target stores getting ready to open in your area? If we can't get the information from corporate , we can get it from each other. After all, it is pretty hard to hide a Target store.
Well, then someone missed a press release somewhere....

So, I take it everyone is planning on camping out where ever the new stores are going to be??? OMG, then we SO need the dates and locations! I'll bring the hot dogs if someone has a mini, portable grille! We can turn it into a tailgate party of sorts!

And, yeah, they always are the customer but sometimes customers need a reality check. Like I said, maybe the Customer Service reps don't know all the new locations and maybe they are too busy serving customers who have actual complaints about products/need help, etc.?

Old 07-12-2009, 09:30 PM

Default Article

Here ya go, kids.....make sure you scroll down and read the entire article....all I did was Google search 'new Target stores, Ohio 2009' and looked at a few articles. The Midlothian, VA store is already open as of March-April. And no, I don't know the store addresses. Just drive around the cities of Cincinnati, Lebanon and Reynoldsburg and I'm sure you'll see a structure with the bullseye on it somewhere. Given that they supposedly open in 3 weeks, then I would kind of guess that the stores are already constructed and in the process of holding training sessions for employees. Get your cameras ready!
*If the link doesnt work, then let me know and I'll copy and past the whole article.*
Denied:1up! Software ()

Old 07-12-2009, 09:35 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,863 times
Those are the stores that opened in March. The question was about the ones scheduled to open in July. According to Target Real Estate Facts, "Target opens new stores at three different times throughout the year—in March, July and October" Target Real Estate Facts / Target Corp (http://pressroom.target.com/pr/news/target-stores/real-estate/target-real-estate-facts.aspx - broken link)

PS - The sarcasm in your voice is not very flattering.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:21 PM

313 posts, read 1,194,897 times
Yup, the "found" article tracks with what the unhelpful rep said. She gave me 6 stores as new to open and then said that they had all opened awhile ago.

And yeah, driving around aimlessly doesn't sound like a productive use of my time, especially in SW Ohio when I live in NORTHwest Ohio.

At this point, I'm not even sure why I'm helping to perpetuate this conversation.

The bottom line, original poster, is that I like Target too. But I guess I'll continue to get my Target fixes whenever and wherever I get the chance. And since there is no construction of a new big box store, bullseyed or not, in Findlay, it won't be near my home any time soon. I hope that if one isn't coming to the area where you live, that the nearest one to you is a good one! Happy shopping!

Old 07-13-2009, 10:57 AM

This whole thread is making my day lololol!
Sorry - I guess I wasn't sure where Findlay was at because it's not too significant of a place. And, I realize they were looking for July, not March. Sometimes store openings are delayed, so one of them could have been moved to July.

I guess if you guys want to spend your days tracking down Target grand openings, then that is your deal. Must be nice to have all that time on your hands. Sorry that my effort to actually help was not appreciated.
It's kind of sad that one can't just wait 2 weeks for them to actually open to know where they are at.

It's only sarcasm if you take it that way.
Have fun sitting on hold with CS and with your tailgating parties - and good luck!

Old 07-13-2009, 11:43 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaMichigander View Post
Here in Findlay we have 2 Wal-Marts and a Meijer. With all the surrounding little communities we would easily keep it busy. GRRRRRRRR that makes me mad.
That sounds like a pretty saturated market already for a city the size of Findlay (<40,000 people).

Although, I'd say trade one of the wal-marts (or both for that matter, I have not shopped at that store for years and don't plan too anytime soon) for a Target. 3 supercenter type stores though for 40,000 people seems sufficient to me. Not to mention Bowling Green has a Meijer, Wal*Mart & Kroger, so people from there aren't traveling to Findlay, what are these surrounding communities you are referring to that will support it? Fostoria maybe, but that is only about 15k residents and is still like a half-hour away. From my few times shopping at Meijer, I think it's better than Target anyway, what don't you like about it?

Old 07-13-2009, 03:45 PM

313 posts, read 1,194,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
That sounds like a pretty saturated market already for a city the size of Findlay (<40,000 people).

Although, I'd say trade one of the wal-marts (or both for that matter, I have not shopped at that store for years and don't plan too anytime soon) for a Target. 3 supercenter type stores though for 40,000 people seems sufficient to me. Not to mention Bowling Green has a Meijer, Wal*Mart & Kroger, so people from there aren't traveling to Findlay, what are these surrounding communities you are referring to that will support it? Fostoria maybe, but that is only about 15k residents and is still like a half-hour away. From my few times shopping at Meijer, I think it's better than Target anyway, what don't you like about it?
Tiffin, Lima, and all the little guys, like Fostoria, Van Buren, Bluffton, Carey, Ottawa, Van Lue (Which has to have a population of at least 200). It's just that back in MI, I had about 8 Targets to chose from within a half an hour and now I can drive 45 to get to the closest. There had been a rumor that one was coming to Lima, which I think is a hint closer.

And as for trading the Wal-Mart, heck yeah! I'd happily trade them both for one Target. Apparently when stores like Best Buy build in Findlay, they under estimate the population who shops here. They had to build a bigger store within in a couple of years. Of course we have a junky little mall, so that doesn't help our cause. But with Target, if you build it, they will come!

Old 07-15-2009, 01:55 PM

9 posts, read 23,623 times
OK, so I've looked all around the web and googled it and all, and can only find that a couple more are opening in HI, and some in like Idaho or somethin'. Nothing in OH as far as I can tell. I did find that one was scheduled to be have been built and open this month in Garfield Hts, but I think it got cancelled, maybe that was the rumor starter. No signs of new building. The shopping center they built there is on a landfill, and it's sinking into the ooze. Wal-Mart closed up and moved out after a year when the back lot dropped a foot or so, exposing the foundation. Guess that scared off Target. There have been evacuations over fumes from the landfill entering the stores (I heard the EPA made the stores install monitoring devices, the alarms go off). Vent pipes have been added to the barren landscape... Big scandal!

Anyhow, it seems that you have to see the store under construct to know, there's no place else to find out...

But the deal is that I want to know a week ahead of the Grand Openings. The stores actually open days before. Call it a "soft opening" and "friends night". If you go there on Sunday for the G.O., the store's already almost a week old!!! The first "secret" day there's free food, music, and 10% off everything, and nothing is sold out yet! Been to almost a dozen over the years, need more! Will travel!

If you liike Target, and you like shopping, there's nothing like Tuesday night before a Target G.O.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio