U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:39 PM

498 posts, read 1,333,808 times

Advertisements

i advise people based upon living in the area in the past. when i make trips back to the area, there is an odd comfort to truly nothing ever changing. i am reminded of why i left. regular posters who are high on youngstown seem to conveniently avoid mentioning the long-standing problems with the area while endless promoting every small activity as proof of a vibrant city life; i find the polyanna description to be apt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 07:40 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,500,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
i advise people based upon living in the area in the past. when i make trips back to the area, there is an odd comfort to truly nothing ever changing. i am reminded of why i left. regular posters who are high on youngstown seem to conveniently avoid mentioning the long-standing problems with the area while endless promoting every small activity as proof of a vibrant city life; i find the polyanna description to be apt.
In other words, you ignore the positive developments of the area so you can make yourself feel better about your decision to leave. Heard that story before...

Old 11-05-2009, 01:30 PM

498 posts, read 1,333,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
In other words, you ignore the positive developments of the area so you can make yourself feel better about your decision to leave. Heard that story before...
clevelander17, are you even familiar with youngstown? i mean have you ever been there in person? i am waiting for positive developments to get beyond the talking stages. there is still a dwindling population there that needs the area to turn around, but so far nothing has changed. in order for these things to happen the local governments will have to stop being dysfunctional, there will have to be jobs that weren't there even before this recession, and there will have to be something so unique about the area that could not be found in cleveland, akron, or pittsburgh to dissuade investment from going to either of those surer investments.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,216 times
Smile places to live

Hi,
Well first of all let me say welcome and congratulations! There are a few good areas Canfield, Austintown, are two very nice area's Boardman is pretty good as long as its closer to the canfield area.The other end of the spectrum would be Cortland and howland all of these area's are near malls, restaurants etc.. For the most part there are nice area's all around Youngstown just stay clear of the south-side,east-side and parts of the north-side of Youngstown those are very bad area's. The best thing I can tell you is do some research of any area you look at ask people their opinions of certain area's. When I was looking for a house I asked people who were walking their dogs, jogging etc.. you will be surprised what people tell you BTW what is the name of your business? My husband works for a call center he's in management and really enjoys his work. I hope this helps good luck with all your endeavors.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:15 PM

3,332 posts, read 9,698,779 times
^Let us know how things go once you get here.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:21 PM

1,854 posts, read 8,857,321 times
44507? Good luck with that.

Also in 44507

Two Men Shot, Claim Neither Saw Shooters - WKBN - 27 First News - Local News - Youngstown, Warren, Columbiana, Ohio - Sharon, Pennsylvania

Old 11-21-2009, 09:30 PM

4,968 posts, read 7,835,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
44507? Good luck with that.
Coming from Las Vegas, I'm sure they are totally unfamiliar with crime.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Coming from Las Vegas, I'm sure they are totally unfamiliar with crime.

I would have to guess that they are completely unfamiliar with crime. They totally ignored the first three warning signs.

Houses in that area are only assessed around $8000.

Abandoned houses in the neighborhood.

A property that could only be sold on E-bay.

What more warning could they ask for? Bodies in the street? They have those too.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:39 AM

4,968 posts, read 7,835,522 times
Why wouldn't they know about crime? Las Vegas is currently listed as the 4th most dangerous city. (for what that's worth) America's top 5 most dangerous cities - MSN Real Estate

44507 wouldn't exactly be my first choice when choosing where to live in Youngstown. (probably closer to the end of that list) But, assuming kimryunsun isn't into drugs and gangs, they will probably be OK, even there.

BTW, I looked for a house that might have been the one kimryunsun bought on ebay, but couldn't find a brick house that recently sold in 44507. But I did find a house in my neighborhood. So, just because a house sold on ebay, doesn't mean it's located in a crime-ridden neighborhood.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:19 PM

Have you watched the news lately? The West Side is no longer the little utopia that you like to believe it is.

A 15 year old girl was shot in the head within walking distance to your house. A man was relieved of his Caddy, and 400 in cash at the same place. A food joint was robbed at gunpoint there too. All last week.

I told you that my brother lives by the Handle Bar. They now make it a habit to kick in his front door to see if he has replaced the stuff they took the last time they kicked in his door.

I know that you are half blind, but you need to take the blinders off to see what is really happening in your neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or