Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:35 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,717,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
Ran across this in another thread... It pretty much sums up my point and is appropriate for today !

Paul Craig Roberts; The Economy is a Lie, Too

America produces next to nothing when talking true GDP. Until that trend changes for the better, cities will continue their slow deaths ! They will ALWAYS attract people looking for work but positive growth within is all but a thing of the past in America until we can actually produce something again.

Credit has taken the people as far as it can, the dog days are yet to come and that doesn't deem well for city growth except for the welfare sector within. The reset button is almost fully depressed for America.
This is so far off topic it's not even funny.

What you're talking about is an AMERICAN problem, not a city "A" or town B problem. Hell, just a few hours ago I was watching a special on Dateline or ABC News (whichever is was) praising Pittsburgh for it economic growth, healthy population growth, and extreme shift from becoming "Steel City" to 1 in 5 residents having either a job in the medical/education industry.

What I am talking about is not opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 09:32 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
This is so far off topic it's not even funny.

What you're talking about is an AMERICAN problem, not a city "A" or town B problem. Hell, just a few hours ago I was watching a special on Dateline or ABC News (whichever is was) praising Pittsburgh for it economic growth, healthy population growth, and extreme shift from becoming "Steel City" to 1 in 5 residents having either a job in the medical/education industry.

What I am talking about is not opinions.
This American problems will affect city A and town B... it's inevitable ! Service industry job saturation will occur, then what ? And there will always be those that defy the trends too... I love Pittsburgh by the way.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
This American problems will affect city A and town B... it's inevitable ! Service industry job saturation will occur, then what ? And there will always be those that defy the trends too... I love Pittsburgh by the way.
So then there lies the question ... how does this create an atmosphere where rural America becomes a safe-haven while urban areas turn into Sodom and Gomorrah? Not seeing it nor your point?

Old 09-25-2009, 05:44 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,492,056 times
Stephan_K, you're saying sprawl is a symptom of a poor economy.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:00 PM

If anything, rural America suffers most in a national recession. Don't believe me, just ask for stats and I'll point you in the right direction or show you this new awesome site called; Google.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Stephan_K, you're saying sprawl is a symptom of a poor economy.
I would definitely say that is a factor. That along with the city taxes imposed (new & old) are the two main reasons I left the city life myself.

Don't have to look at the mess a bad economy causes anymore and don't have to deal with the extra taxes !

Old 09-25-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I would definitely say that is a factor. That along with the city taxes imposed (new & old) are the two main reasons I left the city life myself.

Don't have to look at the mess a bad economy causes anymore and don't have to deal with the extra taxes !
Yeah, I actually enjoy living in the city with my tax write-offs (because I live in the city), 0.5% decrease in sales tax VS. living in the 'burbs, diverse economy, diverse demographics, family owned restaurants/shops (VS. area dominated by Wal-Mart), being able to walk to work/school/restaurants/grocery shops/video rental/deli/thrift store/hardware store that allows me to save money on gas and insurance.

I'd bet my entire checking account that I spend less on living expenses by living in the city versus the both of you living in your white-flight, picket-fenced, racist filled, crystal-meth raged, Wal-Mart dominated, 98% white, kissing-cousin, republican controlled, blad rural communities.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,427 times
6.00 for a gal of gas will put the brakes on sprawl

Old 09-25-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
I'd bet my entire checking account that I spend less on living expenses by living in the city versus the both of you living in your white-flight, picket-fenced, racist filled, crystal-meth raged, Wal-Mart dominated, 98% white, kissing-cousin, republican controlled, blad rural communities.
picket-fenced - Sorry, no fences here. The Griz and Elk are free to roam on my mountain side... don't have a "picket fence & yard". More important things to do than mowing grass, keeping up with the Jones's and worrying about pissing off the neighbor all of 4.6' away.

white-flight, racist - Sorry, I'm not racist and don't know anyone that is... But YOU sure seem to be and most likely do !

crystal-meth raged - Sorry, not around here, I've only experienced that crap in the city. Drugs, bums, gangs and cops all over the cities anymore. It's a shame ! Always a problem somewhere...

Wal-Mart dominated - Not in these parts... mom & pop and locally owned shops everywhere. We probably have one of the smallest Wal Marts in the country.

98% white - Ummmm, No... I'd say 99.7% off the top of my head. [Ya... we gots billboards long side da roads as yous comin inta town tellin ya to turn round if ya aint white and goes back from wheres ya came froms ! ]

kissing-cousin - Sorry, not too many are related here. Mostly transplants escaping the paradise city life. It tends to be too good for most and they have to downgrade.

republican controlled - You bet ! I like many others don't like lazy people expecting handouts from those who are taking care of themselves. That's what the cities have become and are for anymore... A liberal paradise !

I'd bet my entire checking account that I spend less on living expenses by living in the city versus the both of you... - How much is in your checking account ? Careful now !

Old 09-25-2009, 11:34 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany12 View Post
Accounting isn't fiction. That is one thing you can never lie about.
So; you've never heard about Bernie Madoff???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio