Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support building of passenger rail in Ohio?
YES! Not only would I support this, but i would ride it! 95 71.97%
Yes. But I would never ride it. 3 2.27%
It doesn't affect me or any one I know. 12 9.09%
No. Blah. Terrible idea! 22 16.67%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 03:29 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,628,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by czb2004 View Post
Because the high taxes came later...The Big 3 automakers were making so much money that the state of Michigan decided they could afford to take a cut of their enormous profits by raising taxes. Same with many other business centers in the country. The movie industry was making so much money that California decided it could afford to pay more taxes. It would cost the big 3 more money to move their entire operations to another state than to just accept tax hikes.
Cities have access to a number of resources that effectively lower costs, such as universities. For example, solar companies are locating in Toledo because there are skilled workers there, they have access to the university, and the glass industry is located there. All those things lower the cost of doing business. So companies ARE attracted to places where they can make the most money and taxes are a big factor! If the taxes get high enough in New York or California that they negate the other benefits of being there (proximity to other major industries, access to highly educated workers, etc.) then they will get out of there as soon as they can.
Thriving communities get regional rail because they are so congested that they need an alternative form of transportation. It is not the rail that makes them thrive. If Ohio grows enough and becomes crowded enough then rail might be a good option.
But yet rail works in North Carolina, New Mexico, Oregon, and Washington to name a few.

What is Kasich going to do to make Ohio attractive to businesses and make population growth occur? He already has killed something that a lot of young Ohioans and college students were looking forward to.

If he can redeem himself, and attract huge companies here, make the state competative then I am all for it. But he has already taken something away from Ohio that would have pushed it forward. What is he going to do???? This guy is probaly going to make Ohio just as bad as economically as Michigan or as poor as Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 03:36 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
But yet rail works in North Carolina, New Mexico, Oregon, and Washington to name a few.

What is Kasich going to do to make Ohio attractive to businesses and make population growth occur? He already has killed something that a lot of young Ohioans and college students were looking forward to.

If he can redeem himself, and attract huge companies here, make the state competative then I am all for it. But he has already taken something away from Ohio that would have pushed it forward. What is he going to do???? This guy is probaly going to make Ohio just as bad as economically as Michigan or as poor as Alabama.
Why in the world do people think businesses are going to locate in Ohio because we have a rail system?

And all this talk about people leaving because we don't have a train is nonsense. I doubt anyone makes a decision on what state to live in because of a rail system. Except for a few people in cities like Boston and new York where it is easier to not have a car.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:37 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,501 times
Quote:
Amtrak actually already runs through the northern part of the state and tickets are pretty expensive because ridership is not very high.
I just looked and it costs about $25 for a one way ticket from toledo to cleveland and it takes 2 hrs and 15 minutes (similar to driving).
And then you gotta figure out a way to get around Cleveland and/or Toledo once you get there.

Might as well just drive.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:44 PM

285 posts, read 641,889 times
[quote=Beavercreek33;16970890]But yet rail works in North Carolina, New Mexico, Oregon, and Washington to name a few.
I'm a little confused about this statement. The money for rail is being allocated to the states right now so they don't have passenger rail yet, right? They might have some kind of rail that runs in cities, like a subway station, which I would be all for in Ohio's cities, but do they already have high speed rail service that is already up and running?
In terms of making the state more economically viable, is passenger rail really the best investment? If I'm starting a corporation and looking for a state to locate I don't think that rail service is a factor for most businesses. It would be better to save the $17 million that it will cost to operate per year and use that to attract businesses.
One poster mentioned that in California they have 16 lane highways and they are still congested. Rail would be a great investment there. Of all the issues, I feel that business is the one that Kasich really understands. Not sure about him on the other issues, but when it comes to making good long term investments for economic growth I think he is going to do a good job.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:45 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Why in the world do people think businesses are going to locate in Ohio because we have a rail system?

And all this talk about people leaving because we don't have a train is nonsense. I doubt anyone makes a decision on what state to live in because of a rail system. Except for a few people in cities like Boston and new York where it is easier to not have a car.
One of the main reasons I'm choosing Lakewood is because when I continue my graduate education at CSU, I'll have an RBT stop at my door. I also plan on using the bus to get to games and the likes, and possibly even for shopping. Depending on how easy things go for me in my first few months, I'm considering going car free in Cleveland.

Look along the train/bus routes of Metro Cleveland, Metro Chicago, Metro DC/NOVA. They are the places that thrive most.

Cleveland is pretty easy to navigate by public trans so your second post is pretty invalid for anyone taking a train from Toledo to Cleveland (which would be more likely than vice versa, except for a return trip)

Old 12-11-2010, 03:49 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,050 times
[quote]
Quote:
Quote:
I'm a little confused about this statement. The money for rail is being allocated to the states right now so they don't have passenger rail yet, right? They might have some kind of rail that runs in cities, like a subway station, which I would be all for in Ohio's cities, but do they already have high speed rail service that is already up and running?
In terms of making the state more economically viable, is passenger rail really the best investment? If I'm starting a corporation and looking for a state to locate I don't think that rail service is a factor for most businesses. It would be better to save the $17 million that it will cost to operate per year and use that to attract businesses.
One poster mentioned that in California they have 16 lane highways and they are still congested. Rail would be a great investment there. Of all the issues, I feel that business is the one that Kasich really understands. Not sure about him on the other issues, but when it comes to making good long term investments for economic growth I think he is going to do a good job.
Kasich doesn't understand business at all. Ohio needs more space for office and more things to attract young professionals. Do research on Richard Florida's models of economic development and learn about the creative class/service industry which will be the backbone of this nation.

$17 million in your treasury won't attract business. Spending it on roads won't attract business. You can find interstate highway connections from South Dakota to Miami, FL, to Seattle, WA and up to Maine.

Young professionals, the people corporations hire, want to live in a city like Chicago or LA because they have options. Why not give Ohio some options?

To attract the creative class you need: Tolerance, Technology, and Talent. If Ohio is still all-car, nobody is going to want to go there. People are getting tired of driving, especially today's talent which are more well-traveled than ever before, experiencing the effectiveness and convenience of rail not only in the USA but in Europe as well. Cities have to compete and the 3 Cs are no exception.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:51 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Quote:
Because the high taxes came later...The Big 3 automakers were making so much money that the state of Michigan decided they could afford to take a cut of their enormous profits by raising taxes. Same with many other business centers in the country. The movie industry was making so much money that California decided it could afford to pay more taxes. It would cost the big 3 more money to move their entire operations to another state than to just accept tax hikes.
Cities have access to a number of resources that effectively lower costs, such as universities. For example, solar companies are locating in Toledo because there are skilled workers there, they have access to the university, and the glass industry is located there. All those things lower the cost of doing business. So companies ARE attracted to places where they can make the most money and taxes are a big factor! If the taxes get high enough in New York or California that they negate the other benefits of being there (proximity to other major industries, access to highly educated workers, etc.) then they will get out of there as soon as they can.
Thriving communities get regional rail because they are so congested that they need an alternative form of transportation. It is not the rail that makes them thrive. If Ohio grows enough and becomes crowded enough then rail might be a good option.
Actually many towns are built up around the Railways and thrive on the tourism and the extra foot traffic that come with the stations. Many towns are now building Denser cores around there stations which brings in more revenue for the town. The state does not need to be dense for Intercity or High Speed Rail , those 2 Rail types are better for connecting cities and towns they don't need to be close together. Its better if there apart , this region is restoring at least 15 Rural lines over the next decade , ontop of the multiple Suburban lines in planning. Alot of companies have relocating there HQ to along the Railways and Stations....its so they don't have build huge parking lots saving them millions.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post

You're clueless at best.

Read UrbanOhio, you need to be informed.

3-C Corridor passenger rail project

Old 12-11-2010, 03:55 PM

[quote=czb2004;16971043]
Quote:
Those states I mentioned already have rail linking their cities. If they can do it, Ohio easily can.

$17 million a year to operate the 3C is nothing compared to Ohio's interstate system.

The thing is, Ohio is falling behind the times over and over and over again. It is funny, Indiana and Iowa, far more rural states than Ohio see the benefits to rail, and are getting some of Ohio's $400 million.

What is Kasich going to do to better Ohio? I am curious. This state already is getting worse, and this guy isn't even governor yet lol.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:56 PM

In this economy, Ohio can't afford to turn its back on rail jobs | The Columbus Dispatch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio