U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you support building of passenger rail in Ohio?
YES! Not only would I support this, but i would ride it! 95 71.97%
Yes. But I would never ride it. 3 2.27%
It doesn't affect me or any one I know. 12 9.09%
No. Blah. Terrible idea! 22 16.67%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:45 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,130,072 times
I am not against FAST trains (>150 mph) but to waste money on trains that get me to Columbus or the Nati in more time than it takes to drive is completely asinine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 06:49 PM

1,272 posts, read 1,530,575 times
I say ..."BRING ON THE 3 - C Connector!!! It will undoubtedly create many new opportunities, help to save our environment and it will attract even more growth in all 3 of Ohios major cities.
It's really a "NO BRAINER" ... and it "should" be undertaken much sooner than later.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:00 AM

513 posts, read 523,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
I say ..."BRING ON THE 3 - C Connector!!! It will undoubtedly create many new opportunities, help to save our environment and it will attract even more growth in all 3 of Ohios major cities.
It's really a "NO BRAINER" ... and it "should" be undertaken much sooner than later.
I agree, this is a no-brainer. Ohio is years (decades??) behind other states (that are smaller and less dense even) ANYTHING new in this state is good, because its been the same old same old here FOREVER. The 3 C Line will encourage inter-activity between the states largest cities. I know many people from Cincy who have never been to Cleveland and vice-versa.
Rail/trains are the future, cars are a thing of the past (1900's) being that this is the United States: Cars aren't going anywhere, but we NEED to assimilate people into using other modes of transportation in addition to automobiles. I'd love 2 catch a ride up to Cleveland to watch Lebron, hit the town and not have to spend $150 in gas to do it.
Its funny that some people are opposed to this (???) I don't get it. This is America...What happened to the ingenuity and progress that got us where we are today. Everyone should be accepting new innovative ideas. Obviously the old ways aren't working as well as we thought.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:39 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,203,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
I agree, this is a no-brainer. Ohio is years (decades??) behind other states (that are smaller and less dense even) ANYTHING new in this state is good, because its been the same old same old here FOREVER. The 3 C Line will encourage inter-activity between the states largest cities. I know many people from Cincy who have never been to Cleveland and vice-versa.
Rail/trains are the future, cars are a thing of the past (1900's) being that this is the United States: Cars aren't going anywhere, but we NEED to assimilate people into using other modes of transportation in addition to automobiles. I'd love 2 catch a ride up to Cleveland to watch Lebron, hit the town and not have to spend $150 in gas to do it.
Its funny that some people are opposed to this (???) I don't get it. This is America...What happened to the ingenuity and progress that got us where we are today. Everyone should be accepting new innovative ideas. Obviously the old ways aren't working as well as we thought.
Excellent post! Even though New Mexico's is not as extensive as Ohio's (could) be, they still have a nice train that takes you from Santa Fe to ALBQ.

This needs to happen, and I know for a fact it would be extremely successful in Ohio. We have 11.5 million people, and the Three C's each have over 2 million in each metro. And that is not including stops in other areas like Dayton (800,000), Akron (700,000) and Canton (400,00). It really is a "no brainer."

Old 12-22-2009, 09:59 AM

1,856 posts, read 5,555,776 times
I'm not a fan of mass transportation. I would never use it, and it really provides no direct benefit to me.
Do I support it? Of course I do. It's a great idea that would provide many construction jobs, possibly entice businesses to locate in Ohio, and get a bunch of people off of the highways, leaving less congestion for me.

I support it just like I support gambling, and any other project that doesn't really affect me, but could benefit other Ohioans.

The only people that I could possibly see not supporting it, are the ones that could lose property when it is built.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:14 AM

5,810 posts, read 6,891,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
I'm not a fan of mass transportation. I would never use it, and it really provides no direct benefit to me.
Do I support it? Of course I do. It's a great idea that would provide many construction jobs, possibly entice businesses to locate in Ohio, and get a bunch of people off of the highways, leaving less congestion for me.

I support it just like I support gambling, and any other project that doesn't really affect me, but could benefit other Ohioans.

The only people that I could possibly see not supporting it, are the ones that could lose property when it is built.
Most of the time they like to use old unused railroad property, it helps to cut cost and the foundation of the old rail are easier to up grade than to start from scratch. So the loss of private property will be at a minimum at best.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:48 AM

3,472 posts, read 4,530,137 times
Looks like Ohio may be getting plenty of Stimulus money in 2010.

Stimulus Spending in Ohio Ramps up in 2010 - ABC News

Looks like we'll get our answer by Jan:

"Still up for grabs is $8 billion in stimulus money that Obama has set aside for high-speed passenger rail projects. By late January, the Federal Rail Administration will decide if Ohio gets $564 million for a 79-mph, startup train service connecting Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati."

Old 12-30-2009, 03:00 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,203,532 times
It would be stupid on the NATIONAL government's side if they passed Ohio up on this. A huge population center that links the Midwest to the Northeast, over half the Nation's population is less than 500 miles from Ohio's borders. Ohio is home to plenty of fortune 500 companies, 5th in the nation!

Don't pass Ohio up on this, PLEASE!

Old 01-28-2010, 10:35 AM

It's a reality folks. Federal Stimulus money just gave Ohio $400 million of the transporatation money to make this happen!!

From the Columbus Dispatch:

Money for rail bound for Ohio | Columbus Dispatch Politics (http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/01/28/copy/ohrailbux.ART_ART_01-28-10_A1_O2GE7CV.html?adsec=politics&sid=101 - broken link)

Old 01-28-2010, 10:48 AM

And from the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

Gov. Ted Strickland says Ohio will get $400 million for 3C rail project | OPEN: Ohio Politics - cleveland.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio