U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 09:10 AM

7 posts, read 54,407 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am planning on a trip from Monroe, MI to Pittsburgh, PA this summer. I was looking up directions on MapQuest and it stated that I have to pay a toll to drive on Interstate 80. I want to know how much the toll is on this road. I am entering Interstate 80 through south Interstate 75. Any help would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 10:11 AM

21 posts, read 97,232 times
Been a ahile since went all the way to the East gate but I think it is about $7.00 to go across from Toledo.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:08 AM

1,856 posts, read 5,959,656 times
I just went from North Jackson, Ohio to the Indiana border. It cost about $9 and change. The Pa. State line is another 20 miles and 1 more exit. Not much money there. Right around Youngstown 80 and 76 change up. 76 becomes the turnpike into Pa. From the Pa. line to Pittsburgh is where you'll pay the most money.

I also want to add that the Ohio Turnpike is 3 lanes in each direction now. The trucks have to stay in the right lane except for passing. They're not allowed in the far left lane at all. It's a real pleasant ride to cross Ohio now, and the rest areas are all very well kept. Some good places to eat too.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:12 PM

634 posts, read 1,575,624 times
Talking My toll charge as of 2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar_sky1 View Post
Hi. I am planning on a trip from Monroe, MI to Pittsburgh, PA this summer. I was looking up directions on MapQuest and it stated that I have to pay a toll to drive on Interstate 80. I want to know how much the toll is on this road. I am entering Interstate 80 through south Interstate 75. Any help would be appreciated
I've driven about 2 times to Philly round trip on I - 80 this year alone, and can say I've memorized the toll from I-75 to East Gate. It's $7.50, then there's an extra $3 charge to get onto the Penna-Turnpike. Although I never stop in Pittsburgh, I think you're looking at about $3 to $4 between Pennsylvania West Gate and PGH. Be warned, construction season has already started!

I know it $19.00 to get off at Route 1 in Philly (I know that doesn't help, but had to throw it in! )

Old 05-04-2007, 09:15 PM

332 posts, read 1,714,949 times
Those quotes seem about right, this is from the wikipedia page for the Ohio Turnpike:

"Tolls are based upon the distance traveled, along with the type, and weight of vehicle driven. As of January 1, 2007, the toll for a typical non-commercial passenger vehicle to travel the entire distance of the turnpike is $10.25."

And that's for the distance from PA to the Indiana line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Turnpike

Old 05-04-2007, 10:10 PM

6,351 posts, read 13,386,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
I also want to add that the Ohio Turnpike is 3 lanes in each direction now. The trucks have to stay in the right lane except for passing. They're not allowed in the far left lane at all. Some good places to eat too.
SRF, I'm an Ohio-based trucker and, while I understand your feelings, I'm frustrated with state officials that base traffic laws on emotion instead of safety and common sense. Truck lane restrictions and split speed limits are actually unsafe and CREATE dangerous conditions. Limiting trucks to the right lanes impedes traffic flow by forcing trucks to bunch up behind slower traffic, removes the left lane as an option in emergency situations and prevents trucks in the middle lanes from moving over to let traffic onto the highway. Truckers who want to let merging traffic on must make a lane change to the left for merging traffic then again to return to the slow lane so as to not impeded faster traffic behind. Lane changes are the among the most dangerous manuevers a trucker makes because of the large blind spots around the truck. The common-sense approach would be to ticket drivers of ANY vehicle impeding traffic by staying in the left lane. (There are other states that impose minimum-speed limits for left lanes and that would be a better solution, too.)

I love living in Ohio and have found the Ohio State Highway Patrol one of the finest in the 48 states I've trucked through. However, I believe their stubborness to remove the 55/65 split speed limit for trucks puts politics and revenue enhancement ahead of safety. Their argument that "it takes longer to stop a truck from 65 mph than 55 mph" is true. But the difference in vehicle speeds causes accidents and frustrates faster traffic stuck behind slower moving trucks. AND results in more of those dangerous lane changes.

You probably remember that the OSHP raised speeds to 65 ONLY on the turnpike (as well as lowered tolls) awhile back to get trucks off of local routes such as U.S. 6 and U.S. 20. Seems like 65 mph is no problem only when they say it is... I set my cruise at 62 mph and roll past troopers all day long and have never gotten a speeding ticket in the ten years I've trucked in Ohio. I'm willing to bet that if every trucker ran 55 mph in Ohio, car drivers would deluge Columbus with calls and emails to raise the limit. Sorry, but the split speed limit in OH is mostly a revenue generation tool.

Oh, and I'm VERY pleased with the service plaza renovations on the turnpike! Much better food choices and FREE showers for truckers!

Thanks for listening!

Last edited by Crew Chief; 05-04-2007 at 10:18 PM..

Old 05-05-2007, 09:15 AM

1,856 posts, read 5,959,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post

I love living in Ohio and have found the Ohio State Highway Patrol one of the finest in the 48 states I've trucked through. However, I believe their stubborness to remove the 55/65 split speed limit for trucks puts politics and revenue enhancement ahead of safety. Their argument that "it takes longer to stop a truck from 65 mph than 55 mph" is true. But the difference in vehicle speeds causes accidents and frustrates faster traffic stuck behind slower moving trucks. AND results in more of those dangerous lane changes.

Hi Crew Chief
While I was on the turnpike, I noticed that all of the split speed limit signs were painted over. I thought it was a great idea to let the trucks go as fast as everybody else. I assumed it was on all of the highways, not just the turnpike. It was a really nice drive crossing Ohio. It seemed like there was no traffic at all. Once we hit Indiana, it was only two lanes again. There was more traffic and congestion. It was nothing like when we hit the Chicago interchange though. That's when I vowed to never go near that area again. Those people are crazy!!!!

Old 05-05-2007, 10:18 AM

6,351 posts, read 13,386,386 times
Hi South Range Family! Yes, the improved Ohio Turnpike is a pleasure to drive! And I love the newly renovated rest areas! Truck parking is a lot easier to find now, too. Unfortuantely, now that the Turnpike is so nice I'm down running I-70 and I-75 from Dayton South and East-West, delivering only to retail stores. I like the job and being home every day, even if I don't get up there nowadays...sigh. Yes, the Turnpike is the ONLY place in Ohio that trucks are allowed to travel the same speed as cars. We don't want to go faster, we truckers understand that all traffic moving at close to the same speed is so much safer and flows so much better. (And, nope, I don't miss running in Chigoland, either...Happy motoring! )

Old 05-06-2007, 02:20 PM

3,170 posts, read 6,745,145 times
I drove the turnpike this weekend from Rt. 5 in Warren (near youngstown) to I-75 in Toledo and i believe it cost me $6.15 each way......totally worth it!

Old 06-07-2007, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 18,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar_sky1 View Post
How much are the tolls on highway 80?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio