Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2010, 03:06 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Cincinnati is more Southern than Dayton
Wrong

Neither city was culturally southern. These cities and the countryside in between was settled by people from, mostly, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Then there was the big 19th century migraiton from Germany and Ireland, more from Germany. Dayton recieved a light dusting of that "second immigration" from Southern and Eastern Europe, Cincy not so much.

The big Appalachian migration hit both these places, but actually affected Dayton more, pretty much altering the local culture to being more akin the upper south. This happened in Cincinnati to some degree, but Cincinnati was large enough and had enough of its own local urban culture to where the place remained more "northern" in feel (or less like an outpost of the Appalachian South).

Cincy is probably more like, say, Baltimore or Pittsburgh, but without the big easter/southern European ethnic influence....Cincy being dominated by German ancestry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 06:17 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Wouldn't bother me. I'd love to be a Canadian.
Move to Canada. XD

Old 12-24-2010, 07:35 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Wrong

Neither city was culturally southern. These cities and the countryside in between was settled by people from, mostly, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Then there was the big 19th century migraiton from Germany and Ireland, more from Germany. Dayton recieved a light dusting of that "second immigration" from Southern and Eastern Europe, Cincy not so much.

The big Appalachian migration hit both these places, but actually affected Dayton more, pretty much altering the local culture to being more akin the upper south. This happened in Cincinnati to some degree, but Cincinnati was large enough and had enough of its own local urban culture to where the place remained more "northern" in feel (or less like an outpost of the Appalachian South).

Cincy is probably more like, say, Baltimore or Pittsburgh, but without the big easter/southern European ethnic influence....Cincy being dominated by German ancestry.
OK. Still, I think you missed my point. Dayton looks more Midwestern than Cincinnati (flatter, more corn, etc.), but both areas are culturally Upper South. I have relatives in Dayton -- Southern. Right down to their accent, cuisine and "y'alls." Yes, Cincinnati has non-Southern influences, but so do other large Southern cities like Charlotte, Atlanta, Houston and Nashville. That doesn't mean those cities are not in the south, just that as large cities, they have other influences. Cincy actually reminds me very much of Louisville, only a little larger. Both have a very similar vibe and similar river location. Dayton is the northernmost Southern city (Baltimore may be further north, but it's not culturally Southern).

What makes these cities Midwestern? They are more Southern than Midwestern, for sure.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:25 PM

46 posts, read 111,263 times
Quote:
I don't see the difference other than rural/urban divide, and I've been to northern Kentucky and SW Ohio many times. Chillicothe, Ohio is very, very similar to Falmouth, Kentucky. I know the area well because I have family in SW Ohio. I'm not saying Southern Ohio is like Mississippi, because it isn't, but it is like Missouri, Kentucky and Tennessee. "Upper South" is the technical term. I'm sorry, but it's not the true Midwest.
Falmouth is in the Cinci MSA, so obviously it is influenced heavily by Cincinnati. Thats why I said you would have to drive a good 25 miles or more into Kentucky. I would agree with you though that the rural areas are fairly similar besides the accent.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:56 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
I've been to Lexington, Bowling Green (KY), etc. Still similar to Southern Ohio -- including the accent.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:27 PM

865 posts, read 1,472,346 times
Quote:
OK. Still, I think you missed my point. Dayton looks more Midwestern than Cincinnati (flatter, more corn, etc.), but both areas are culturally Upper South. I have relatives in Dayton -- Southern. Right down to their accent, cuisine and "y'alls." Yes, Cincinnati has non-Southern influences, but so do other large Southern cities like Charlotte, Atlanta, Houston and Nashville. That doesn't mean those cities are not in the south, just that as large cities, they have other influences. Cincy actually reminds me very much of Louisville, only a little larger. Both have a very similar vibe and similar river location. Dayton is the northernmost Southern city (Baltimore may be further north, but it's not culturally Southern).
Just because you have relatives that speak with a Southern accent, does not mean this area is "in the South".

Sure, Atlanta, Nashville, etc. have "non-Southern" influences, but they are Southern to the core. Cincinnati and Dayton are the opposite. Mostly non-Southern (AKA German and Irish), with slight Southern influences.

The Appalachians did not influence this area nearly to the extent the German immigrants did. Period.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:22 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
Quote:
Cincinnati and Dayton are the opposite. Mostly non-Southern (AKA German and Irish), with slight Southern influences.

The Appalachians did not influence this area nearly to the extent the German immigrants did. Period.
Thank you.

(though I think the appalachian influence in Dayton is more than "slight.")

Old 12-25-2010, 08:56 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
Just because you have relatives that speak with a Southern accent, does not mean this area is "in the South".

Sure, Atlanta, Nashville, etc. have "non-Southern" influences, but they are Southern to the core. Cincinnati and Dayton are the opposite. Mostly non-Southern (AKA German and Irish), with slight Southern influences.

Nobody said Cincy or Dayton were in the South.....all that was said is that they have Southern characteristics and that it feels more like the "Northern South" than the "Southern North". The thread is titled "Is Southern Ohio considered part of the South", and to answer that question, I say "no", but it can feel a little Southern, especially if you are from cities at or above Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, etc.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:34 PM

46 posts, read 111,263 times
Quote:
I've been to Lexington, Bowling Green (KY), etc. Still similar to Southern Ohio -- including the accent.
I disagree. There are linguistic maps that can back this up. Surely you have seen one since they have been posted all over CD. If you haven't and are interested, check out this link... United States of America / Linguistic map

Merry Christmas

Old 04-24-2011, 08:57 PM

9 posts, read 37,537 times
First of all the WHOLE STATE of Ohio is in the Midwest, from Toledo to Cleveland to Youngstown to Marietta, to Portmouth to Dayton and Cincinnati ... All the Midwest. Now do certain areas have cultural influences that are due to either transplants from different regions moving to your region or being located in a transitonal cultural/linquistic transitional zone (i.e. Northern Kentucky and Southerwestern) ... Of Course. Does Southern Ohio have southern influences ... Yes, but does Kentucky/W. Virginia have Midwest/Northern influences ... Yes. If you don't believe me, look at all the threads that debate whether Kentucky or W. Virginia are northern/midwestern. Ina transitional zone it sometimes is not about southern influencing northern or visa versa, but about people "sharing" cultural similarities because culture does not know boundaries (unless there is a big time geographic obstacle). So in the southern Midwest of course they are going to share similarities with the upland South, because they border one another, but no matter what you still retain your regional identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio