U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 10:38 AM

3,300 posts, read 3,465,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
So the states that were part of the Confederacy are all culturally similar?
When compared in general terms to the midwest, west, and north... yes.

I guess sometimes you just need to be a Southerner to understand.

I will agree somewhat with nashvols. The Appalachian mountain people are kinda unique.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 11:15 AM

6,490 posts, read 7,798,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
When compared in general terms to the midwest, west, and north... yes.

I guess sometimes you just need to be a Southerner to understand.

I will agree somewhat with nashvols. The Appalachian mountain people are kinda unique.

I do not see any cultural difference between Wheeling WV (in a southern state) and Pittsburgh, Pa (in a northern state).

Old 10-15-2013, 10:33 PM

22,241 posts, read 38,804,776 times
Rural Southern and southeast Ohio is strongly influenced by its neighbors West Virginia and Kentucky as it is the northwest extension and part of the central Appalachian region. Also, rural southern Ohio has had a severe lack of employment for quite awhile now unless one thinks hydraulic fracturing is good for that area. It has been mined over, industrialized, and people have come and gone (brain drain). What exactly would attract anyone to southern Ohio other than the Cincinnati region? I can't think of very many factors.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 11,894 times
I wouldn't say southern and southeastern Ohio is part of the South, but it does a lot of Appalachian influence.

I have been in Columbus for nearly a year, but I feel more comfortable in an Appalachian environment. This southeastern Ohio hillbilly is ready to go back home!

Old 06-10-2015, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 990 times
I am from Portsmouth, Ohio and that is directly on the Ohio river, and you can almost tell what color peoples eyes are in Kentucky, across the Ohio river and we are considered southern communities. And yes, alot of people there have a southern draw when speaking.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:32 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,483,741 times
Interstate 70 is the Mason-Dixon in this state.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Maryland & Delaware? No I can't agree there.
Maryland, Delaware, West Virginia, and Missouri are Semi-Southern, but this topic is about Ohio.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Rural Southern and southeast Ohio is strongly influenced by its neighbors West Virginia and Kentucky as it is the northwest extension and part of the central Appalachian region. Also, rural southern Ohio has had a severe lack of employment for quite awhile now unless one thinks hydraulic fracturing is good for that area. It has been mined over, industrialized, and people have come and gone (brain drain). What exactly would attract anyone to southern Ohio other than the Cincinnati region? I can't think of very many factors.
Athens is a college town.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:10 PM

13,496 posts, read 19,386,070 times
The Appalachian Mountains have a culture that is an anomaly in both the North and the South.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:11 PM

5,102 posts, read 6,307,042 times
So... a long tired old thread gets revived by literally someone's first post and this pointless thread is going to spin in circles again...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio