U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-14-2016, 02:38 PM
 
34,985 posts, read 32,385,009 times
Reputation: 22928

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Actually no they're not because the South also consists of states that existed outside the Confederacy.
Not to mention the fact that even in the states that seceded, the Appalachian areas were highly unsympathetic to the Confederate cause.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-14-2016, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Florida
2,233 posts, read 1,713,544 times
Reputation: 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
THIS. IS. DUMB.

Southern cuisine, music, accents/speech, etc. are what defines Southern culture and they have NOTHING to do with the establishment of the Confederacy itself, which was a short-lived entity that was soundly defeated by the Union. Those cultural elements preceded the Confederacy and continued well afterwards, up until the present day. The Confederacy only existed to PRESERVE SLAVERY, and saying that Black people "define the Confederacy" represents the height of ignorance and is blatantly offensive. You hate Atlanta so much that you're willing to go to great lengths to offend an entire race of people in the process and you should be absolutely ASHAMED of yourself.

What's next, arguing that cities like Detroit, Philadelphia, DC, and Baltimore are "Confederate cities" because they have Black majorities/pluralities whose forebearers came from the South??????

FOH...
If that's the case you southerners need to make up your mind because you like to call places that have none of those attributes "Southern". So I'll just call it Confederate culture. Your own ancestors were part of the Confederacy. My ancestors too faced subjugation in many of the countries they came from. Doesn't change their origins.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2016, 03:10 PM
 
34,985 posts, read 32,385,009 times
Reputation: 22928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
If that's the case you southerners need to make up your mind because you like to call places that have none of those attributes "Southern". So I'll just call it Confederate culture. Your own ancestors were part of the Confederacy. My ancestors too faced subjugation in many of the countries they came from. Doesn't change their origins.
AS SLAVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT as people who established and perpetuated the Confederacy!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG, your ignorance here knows no bounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell a German Jew he/she was part of Nazi Germany and see what kind of response you get.

You can call it whatever the hell you want, you're STILL wrong.

This is damn near racist, but I'm not surprised at all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2016, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Østenfor sol og vestenfor måne
17,418 posts, read 20,246,934 times
Reputation: 36497
SOuthern and Confederate are definitely not interchangeable, but they definitely correlate highly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2016, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Florida
2,233 posts, read 1,713,544 times
Reputation: 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Actually no they're not because the South also consists of states that existed outside the Confederacy.
I know, like rural areas of Missouri, but just trying to find a different word for it all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2016, 03:44 PM
 
8,256 posts, read 15,392,961 times
Reputation: 6067
Southern Indiana is more "Confederacy" than many parts of Kentucky even. So I wouldn't doubt that Southern Ohio has some very conservative areas that would fit in better in Alabama.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2016, 04:41 PM
 
626 posts, read 314,786 times
Reputation: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Southern Indiana is more "Confederacy" than many parts of Kentucky even. So I wouldn't doubt that Southern Ohio has some very conservative areas that would fit in better in Alabama.
Well Kentucky wasn't Confederate either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2016, 04:58 PM
 
8,256 posts, read 15,392,961 times
Reputation: 6067
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
Well Kentucky wasn't Confederate either.
No, but today Kentucky is considered Southern. Indiana and Ohio aren't.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2016, 06:17 PM
 
57 posts, read 55,789 times
Reputation: 27
As someone who has lived in Ohio and Kentucky I can say that southern Ohio does have a "southern" feel at times. People are much more friendly than those in the mid and northern part of the state. The southern part of Ohio tends to go Red in elections. I do consider KY outside of Louisvlle to be southern.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2016, 08:40 PM
 
6,601 posts, read 7,872,426 times
Reputation: 3865
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
I disagree. The vast majority of Southern Ohio is not like Kentucky. Only Southeastern Ohio.
What is the difference between Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top