U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2017, 08:01 AM
Status: "Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast." (set 19 days ago)

17,367 posts, read 20,109,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy_ View Post
I would consider southern and Appalachian Ohio to be a part of the south. It is below the Mason-Dixon line and farther south than parts of WV, which is southern. Culturally, it is much more similar to Kentucky and WV than it is to northern Ohio. Even southern Ohioans have Kentucky accents. I saw these two people on Shark Tank from Portsmouth Ohio, and sounded exactly like Kentuckians.
New Jerseyans think everyone in southern Ohio is Southern the same way Ohioans think everyone in New Jersey is an Italian-American goomba.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 10:55 AM

5,753 posts, read 3,539,469 times
Portsmouth Ohio "Where Southern Hospitality Begins" Motto on U.S.Grant bridge ... but buy your cigarette's in Kentucky!

Old 02-12-2017, 01:30 PM

3,513 posts, read 4,391,411 times
McArthur OH and surrounding is quite comparable to anything you'd find in the hills of eastern KY. I'm sure the same is true of a lot of southeastern Ohio.

On the flipside, northern KY & central KY (aka Bluegrass country) has characteristically more in common with Ohio and Indiana than Alabama or Georgia. In particular there are areas of southwestern Ohio and southern Indiana I'd consider indistinguishable topographically or culturally from Louisville, Bardstown, or Georgetown.

That being said, there are parts of southwestern Ohio that have a lot more in common with Appalachian WV & PA, or the northern Chicago suburbs, or New England, or St. Louis, or even Detroit and its metro, for better or worse.

Ohio is a very diverse place, which is something that's hard to realize until you get outside the state and realize you'd have to go hundreds of miles to experience the cultural and geographic diversity you'd experience in a few miles here.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:34 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,330,395 times
Not even a little bit. Rural, conservative and Christian does not make a place Southern. It's the reason West Virginia isn't southern and Kentucky is borderline.

Southern is a strong blend of African, English/Scots-Irish and some Native American cultures (there are variations like Louisiana with the Acadians etc.). Just being white and rural-ish isn't really enough since you can get that anywhere. Hell, Nebraska has lots of that and it isn't remotely southern. I'm from Texas and our southern "credentials" get pretty shaky depending on who you ask.

Okra, collard/mustard/turnip greens, grits, hoecakes, hot pepper sauces, gumbo, yams, goobers, pecans, Jambalaya etc. Dang, now I'm hungry.

Last edited by jgn2013; 02-12-2017 at 01:48 PM..

Old 02-12-2017, 01:57 PM

695 posts, read 496,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Not even a little bit. Rural, conservative and Christian does not make a place Southern. It's the reason West Virginia isn't southern and Kentucky is borderline.

Southern is a strong blend of African, English/Scots-Irish and some Native American cultures (there are variations like Louisiana with the Acadians etc.). Just being white and rural-ish isn't really enough since you can get that anywhere. Hell, Nebraska has lots of that and it isn't remotely southern. I'm from Texas and our southern "credentials" get pretty shaky depending on who you ask.

Okra, collard/mustard/turnip greens, grits, hoecakes, hot pepper sauces, gumbo, yams, goobers, pecans, Jambalaya etc. Dang, now I'm hungry.
Nebraska "white" and "Kentucky" white are totally different as they have different ethnic backgrounds. Kentucky, WV and Southern Ohio identify on census as "American" ancestry AKA Scotts/Irish wereas Nebraska is German ancestry. Also, the rural culture of Nebraska is far different than the rural culture of the Appalachian region. Would you consider Arkansas Southern? Arkansas is very similar to Ke tucky in culture but is not often lumped in with the Midwest.

Also, I consider Texas Southern, without any doubt.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:03 PM

695 posts, read 496,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post

On the flipside, northern KY & central KY (aka Bluegrass country) has characteristically more in common with Ohio and Indiana than Alabama or Georgia. In particular there are areas of southwestern Ohio and southern Indiana I'd consider indistinguishable topographically or culturally from Louisville, Bardstown, or Georgetown.
Ive lived in Louisville, Florence and now Frankfort and only Florence was anything like SW Ohio. The bluegrass region ends around Williamstown, KY. Central Kentucky is nothing like Ohio. I am from Ohio and can say that with certainty. Central Kentucky is also not like Alabama or Georgia, either. It fits in with the sub region of the Upper South.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:28 PM

247 posts, read 251,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post

Oh, WV is southern by some of your standards, then. My whole family is from the southwestern WV/eastern KY area. I'm a descendant of Valentine Hatfield of "The Hatfields and the McCoys", and I've traced both sides of my family (yeah, they don't intersect, amazingly enough) all the way back to English, Scottish, and Irish (with a tiny, tiny smattering of German) pre-Revolution colonists. You want Scots-Irish, you go to central and southern WV. I can trace individual families who arrived in Mary's Land Colony (Maryland) and made their way, over the generations, down to Charleston and beyond.

Southern is blue grass and country (true country) music that takes its roots from Scots-Irish traditional that was brought over from the motherlands. It's biscuits and gravy, liver and onions, using someone's first and middle name because you have too many kids in a spread out family and you have to figure out who is who, y'all, drawls that go on for miles, mountain folk, coal mining, bend over backward to help a neighbor but a little suspicious of strangers. Sure, Deep South has the Okra, greens, hoecakes, etc, but the gumbo, hot sauces, and Jambalaya are more the French-Cajun influences that came around after the Louisiana Purchase, and I'd consider that a distinct part of the South that isn't a generalized Southern thing.

I'd agree with the others who say that Ohio is a special blend of a lot of different cultural vibes from the surrounding areas. I don't know if I would say that southwestern Ohio is Southern, but southeastern kind of gives off a slightly watered down vibe.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:36 PM

4,410 posts, read 5,407,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Portsmouth, Ohio's website calls itself "The Gateway to the South" Portsmouth, Ohio and Hazard, KY are indistinguishable from each other. Southern Ohio leans heavily toward the UPPER SOUTH, but only along the Ohio River..go inland 10 miles and it becomes way less Southern in feel.
That makes sense, as the border area with Kentucky and Ohio have seen northern and southern transplanting in both directions over the years. Kind of the same way that the northern extremes of NY state are a lot like Quebec (including exclusive French speakers).

I still maintain though that it doesn't make Ohio southern any more than the St. Lawrence river makes NY Canadian.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:15 AM

11,023 posts, read 22,500,296 times
There are working class enclaves of Appalachian / Southern culture in SW Ohio like Elmwood Place / Carthage, Hamilton, and Middletown but the vast majority of people in SW Ohio are solidly Midwestern. A lot of my family moved North from rural KY and my 2nd / 3rd cousins that remained in OH / IN / MI are totally Midwestern.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:48 AM

5,931 posts, read 5,633,207 times
I still cannot figure out what "Culture" bs means these days. Southern/Midwestern culture what in the hell does that mean? It is just meaningless labels referring to the days long gone by. Income bracket and selective mass cult exposure defines your "culture" not residence or location, or your parents for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio