U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-08-2017, 07:52 AM
 
Location: cleveland
2,341 posts, read 3,826,452 times
Reputation: 1576

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Not true at all. Maybe if you're talking the interior Northeast like upstate New York or Western PA but I can assure you there are pretty major culture differences between the BosWash corridor and most of the Midwest.
Dc , especially prince george county had a surprisingly southern vibe.
Dc over-rated and has absolutely no east coast feel unless you are in the immediate small cbd.
Very very expensive and i was surprised at all the illegal aliens.
Back on topic, southeastern ohio and southern Ohio feels Appalachian
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2017, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Windsor Ontario/Colchester Ontario
1,614 posts, read 1,608,354 times
Reputation: 1925
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Dc , especially prince george county had a surprisingly southern vibe.
Dc over-rated and has absolutely no east coast feel unless you are in the immediate small cbd.
Very very expensive and i was surprised at all the illegal aliens.
Back on topic, southeastern ohio and southern Ohio feels Appalachian
Wow, you can tell who is an illegal alien just by looking at them? Such powers you have!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2017, 10:39 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
9,154 posts, read 13,517,659 times
Reputation: 6012
I guess Ohio is unique in that its the only Midwestern state with an Appalachian portion though its mainly the foothills and not the main Appalachians like in West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, even parts of Maryland and Virginia. With the exception of Missouri's Ozarks, Ohio also seems to be the only Midwest state that has a very hilly region. The Hocking Hills and Shawnee State Park are very beautiful with landscapes not found in other Midwestern states like Kansas, Nebraska and Illinois.

Now there's been some interesting points made about the areas directly bordering WV and Kentucky. Would y'all say that its a true blend between the Midwestern and Southern cultures? Or would you say one culture is stronger than the other in southern Ohio particularly Portsmouth and Ironton? Personally I think Ironton reminded me of Huntington and Ashland, but I've had people from more southern parts of WV tell me that Point Pleasant and Parkersburg feel like Ohio.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2017, 12:43 AM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,410 posts, read 5,392,980 times
Reputation: 6122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I guess Ohio is unique in that its the only Midwestern state with an Appalachian portion though its mainly the foothills and not the main Appalachians like in West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, even parts of Maryland and Virginia. With the exception of Missouri's Ozarks, Ohio also seems to be the only Midwest state that has a very hilly region. The Hocking Hills and Shawnee State Park are very beautiful with landscapes not found in other Midwestern states like Kansas, Nebraska and Illinois.
Not true actually! Look up the Midwest's "driftless" region. Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, and Iowa share a very hilly region by this name that is remarkably similar to the northeastern Appalachian foothills.

Southern Illinois also has the garden of the gods.

Southern Indiana shares in some of central Kentucky's terrain.

Northern Minnesota and northern Michigan share in some of what is left of the very scattered Laurentian mountains (AKA the Canadian shield/Adirondacks). In Minnesota in particular they are called the Sawtooths (not to be confused with the Idaho range of the same name).

Also, for reference, the "main Appalachians" run all the way into Canada and are not exclusive to the southern US. In fact the proper Blue Ridge run as far north as Williamsport, PA where they then fold into the Poconos, Catskills, Taconics, Berkshires, Greens, Whites, Mahoosucs, Micmacs, and so forth.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2017, 03:33 PM
 
Location: New Mexico via Ohio via Indiana
1,624 posts, read 1,593,626 times
Reputation: 2583
With the exception of a portion of Athens, much of Southeastern Ohio is very Appalachian and has more in common with Kentucky and West Virginia than the more urbanized parts of Ohio. Cincinnat-uh and muskmelons, etc.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2017, 04:45 PM
 
Location: IN
22,222 posts, read 38,781,087 times
Reputation: 14802
The Ohio Valley is known as Greater Appalachia with counties that are included in ARC, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appa...nal_Commission

The area is generally a mixture of the less favorable features of the North and South combined.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2017, 07:02 PM
 
Location: "Daytonnati"
4,244 posts, read 6,393,887 times
Reputation: 2996
Southern Indiana shares in some of central Kentucky's terrain.

Pretty much an extension of the very same terrain, crossing the river. And the same people, too. This is John Mellencamps country.


Southern Illinois also has the garden of the gods.


Yeah. Little Egpyt. There is a belt of the Ozarks that crosses Southern Illinois, G of the G is part of that. Verry wooded and rugged. Hill country. Like a smaller Appalachia.


And south of that it gets even MORE southern, with big Okeefenokee style swamp forests, essentially an extension of the Mississppi Delta, then there is Cairo, which has quite a history.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 11:57 PM
Status: "Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast." (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: Østenfor sol og vestenfor måne
17,349 posts, read 20,049,117 times
Reputation: 36261
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
To be frank, the cultural difference between the northeast and the midwest is mostly imaginary.
I would say subtle, relatively, in relation to the rest of America. In may ways the Northeast and Midwest are the most closely related American regions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The Ohio Valley is known as Greater Appalachia with counties that are included in ARC, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appa...nal_Commission

The area is generally a mixture of the less favorable features of the North and South combined.
Please elaborate.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2017, 09:04 AM
 
3,513 posts, read 4,383,661 times
Reputation: 1821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Southern Indiana shares in some of central Kentucky's terrain.

Pretty much an extension of the very same terrain, crossing the river. And the same people, too. This is John Mellencamps country.


Southern Illinois also has the garden of the gods.


Yeah. Little Egpyt. There is a belt of the Ozarks that crosses Southern Illinois, G of the G is part of that. Verry wooded and rugged. Hill country. Like a smaller Appalachia.


And south of that it gets even MORE southern, with big Okeefenokee style swamp forests, essentially an extension of the Mississppi Delta, then there is Cairo, which has quite a history.
Cairo, IL. Amazing place, I still need to make it out there someday. What a town, a place that could have been St. Louis or Cincinnati (despite the geographical limitations that come with its extreme blessings) instead relegated to a ghost town with 3000 people living in absolute poverty and despair worse than those living in the most notorious ghettos.

As for the people, I can vouch with a correction - you're going to find a lot less KY style influence here, ridge runners are non-existent in my corner of southern/southeastern Indiana. Nothing like you'd find in Hamilton. The people are much more stereotypically midwestern, so less mean streak/vengeance bred in from what I see, but with that a very basic/do not push my thinking outside the box mentality persists everywhere. These people are not creatives, and barely emotional. Perfect at being athletes, assemblymen, etc. though.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2017, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Colorado
390 posts, read 262,570 times
Reputation: 716
Ohio is a border state. Yes it has southern influences as far north as Columbus. Looking at the maps a good 35% or 40% of Ohio is squarely Appalachian with the all cultural nuances that entails. It's how this part of the country evolved. Some people dwell on the negatives but there is so much to love about Appalachian culture.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top