U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 10:12 AM

37 posts, read 129,685 times

Advertisements

Was wondering what type of culture Southern Ohio is considered? I grew up in Marietta, Oh right across the Ohio river from a slave plantation in WV. I do not feel like I have much in common with the folks up north. What is the national outlook on this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 12:19 PM

5,990 posts, read 12,176,914 times
I would consider it the South (along with southern Indiana, Illinois, and southern and central Missouri), but I doubt most would agree.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:38 PM

17,349 posts, read 20,049,117 times
I have relatives in SW Ohio just a bit north of Cincinnati. They sure don't consider themselves southern but rather midwestern. I grew up in the north, New York and definitely see southern influence there (especially after decades of influx from Kentucky). After having lived in New Mexico for many years, I feel the same area to be decidedly eastern and made the mistake of saying so :-) They consider themselves distinctly midwestern.

From an outsiders perspective I'd have to say that southwestern Ohio is really a blend of Midwest, South, and even Northeast.

A lot of the architecture in my family's town is very similar to what you might find in Westchester county, NY and Oxford, Ohio reminds me of New England as much as anything. Then again, there is a lot of southern food influence and the farming culture and German cultural influences are totally midwest.

ABQConvict

Old 12-14-2009, 08:25 PM

6,495 posts, read 11,342,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marietta89 View Post
Was wondering what type of culture Southern Ohio is considered? I grew up in Marietta, Oh right across the Ohio river from a slave plantation in WV. I do not feel like I have much in common with the folks up north. What is the national outlook on this?
I can't speak for the national outlook, but I'm originally from Toledo. Years ago when I was in the Army stationed in Germany, I met a new soldier from Ironton, Ohio. When I told him I was originally from Toledo, he said, "Oh, you're from Yankee Ohio." So, I guess you're not the only one who feels as you do.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:44 PM

13,016 posts, read 15,119,575 times
The South? Are you kidding? Heck no.
I don't consider Kentucky "the south" so you aren't either.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:50 PM

20 posts, read 69,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I have relatives in SW Ohio just a bit north of Cincinnati. They sure don't consider themselves southern but rather midwestern. I grew up in the north, New York and definitely see southern influence there (especially after decades of influx from Kentucky). After having lived in New Mexico for many years, I feel the same area to be decidedly eastern and made the mistake of saying so :-) They consider themselves distinctly midwestern.

From an outsiders perspective I'd have to say that southwestern Ohio is really a blend of Midwest, South, and even Northeast.

A lot of the architecture in my family's town is very similar to what you might find in Westchester county, NY and Oxford, Ohio reminds me of New England as much as anything. Then again, there is a lot of southern food influence and the farming culture and German cultural influences are totally midwest.

ABQConvict
Culturally, Southwest Ohio is much different than Southeast Ohio. SE Ohio is rich in Appalachia country and feels like an entirely different state than say the Cleveland area. It's very rural, hilly, and a much slower paced lifestyle. I would consider SE Ohio more Southern in culture and attitude.

Ohio is unique because the the different areas of the state are so very different. Northeast Ohio seems like the odd man out in terms of the major metro areas, it's not very 'Ohio' if that makes sense. Columbus is good ole Midwest to the bone. And Cincy is midwest with some southern vibes, depending on where you are. Of course there are areas like Toledo and Youngstown(more Italian/Pennsylvania vibe) which are unique themselves.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:53 PM

10,630 posts, read 24,480,882 times
No, I wouldn't consider it the South, even if it has some similiarities. I wouldn't consider WV the South, either; I guess my personal definition falls mostly along the North/South divide left over from the Civil War.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:58 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,853,397 times
I believe they consider the Ohio River the Mason-Dixon line which divides north from south.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:01 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,878,621 times
Simple answer: NO

Old 12-14-2009, 09:19 PM

13,856 posts, read 24,124,247 times
I'd say generally no, but I wouldn't rule out some individual towns being "Southern." I mean there might be a few "Okie" towns in California with a Southern quality.

Gallia County, Ohio has some amount of Baptists, trended Republican in 2008 election, and is part of the Point Pleasant, West Virginia micropolitan area. Although possibly that makes it more Appalachian than Southern.

Now if we asked Missouri I would say many or most of the counties bordering Arkansas and Tennessee are Southern. Missouri had a strong secessionist element during the Civil War and even had an ordinance of secession. In the 1968 Presidential election Dixiecrat George Wallace carried Pemiscot County, Missouri.

Missouri's Confederate: Claiborne ... - Google Books

Dave Leip's Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections - Compare Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio