Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,567 times

Advertisements

A good place to live in with excellent school district is Mason. It's right in between Dayton and Cincinnati and it's in the Warren school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 06:39 AM

21 posts, read 101,580 times
Thank you.

My husband and I are heading up there this week, and we have eight cities/town/villages to check out, all in Warren County. Warren seems the best option at the moment; the schools are rated excellent and it's fifteen to thirty minutes from everywhere we need to be.

We'll be staying a few days and looking around. Thanks again, and I'll let you know how it goes!

Old 05-29-2007, 10:31 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Toxic, the prison has never been a problem. Every now and then someone escapes, but it's very rare. And they pretty much always get caught. The prison is also five miles west of town, near I-75 (and the flea market! )

Otterbein is a retirement community (and closer to the prison than Lebanon proper!). Is your ex afraid of older people?

Old 05-29-2007, 10:37 AM

5 posts, read 16,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
Thank you.

My husband and I are heading up there this week, and we have eight cities/town/villages to check out, all in Warren County. Warren seems the best option at the moment; the schools are rated excellent and it's fifteen to thirty minutes from everywhere we need to be.

We'll be staying a few days and looking around. Thanks again, and I'll let you know how it goes!
Toxic,
I am a new forum member and my husband and I are also contemplating a move to Waynesville/Warren Co. He will work at Wright Patt and I like the option of either Dayton or Cincinnati. We don't have children YET, but the bio clock is ticking so we are somewhat interested in the school situation. We have not yet made a trip up to the area. My husband lived north of Dayton 10 years ago. We're looking at putting down roots as he's hoping to retire from the AF in 3 years. I would love to hear any tips/impressions of your visit. Thank you.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:40 AM

Ohiogirl,
Any other impressions of Waynesville you can share? Just how cliquey is it and in what way? Does it have pronounced politically leanings? Any info appreciated.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:41 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,249 times
When I think of Waynesville, I think of a quaint downtown with old historic buildings, many of which have antique shops (found a beautiful 100 year old farm dinning table here). Waynesville, if trends continue for Warren County, will probably be the next big suburb to move too. It's schools are in the state;s excellent category, yet its buildings are older (mainly because Springboro just spent millions to build all new schools). That probably change in the next 10-20 years if not sooner. I like the place for its country atmosphere with out the remoteness of places like Hillsboro/Wilmington (which I like too, just a little too far out). As far as politics, the county is mostly conservative. Bush has stopped in Lebanon a few times.

However, if you end up in Dayton while your DH works at Wright-Patt, I'd suggest a closer suburb. These places include Sugarcreek Twp/Bellbrook, Beavercreek, Kettering, and Centerville.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:47 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Rebecca, my intimate knowledge of Waynesville's cliques and government system is a decade or two old (I was a newspaper reporter there in the mid-80s, but still have friends there), but I'd be willing to bet not much has changed. A good number of newcomers to the Waynesville area have moved from the Dayton 'burbs, which has over time broken up the little cliques and increased the likelihood that newcomers are more warmly welcomed.

Surprisingly, Waynesville is not quite as conservative as Lebanon, but then again in Warren County no place is as conservative as Lebanon! I'd guess you'd find liberals, conservatives, and everything in between in Waynesville.

Much of Waynesville's social life, as in many small towns, revolves around churches, schools, and the Chamber of Commerce. The Chamber of Commerce is huge influence in town, and runs the annual Sauerkraut Festival (Do not miss this festival if you live within 50 miles!! Even though Waynesville is dry and sauerkraut cries out for beer, the festival is still one of the best around), which is a huge income source for community and school groups like the chamber, the Boy Scouts and the high school band.

I didn't realize the school district's reputation was so good -- the school district always has been solid, however. Parents take part in what goes on, and the community and schools work closely together.

Wrightflyer is correct that the big industry in town is tourism -- which sounds funny on the surface, but about 25 years ago Waynesville fashioned itself as the Antiques Capital of the Midwest (the antiques were a lot cheaper before that, let me tell you ...). Much of its late 1800s architecture is intact, its history has been well preserved, and there are organizations active in preserving the historic qualities of the village and maintaining the small town atmosphere (The two stoplights on Main Street used to be timed precisely so that when one turned red, the other turned green. No drag racing in this town! LOL). There's a bit of a controversy right now over a planned unit development -- I'll be interested to see how that irons out.

Still, Dayton and the burbs, and Wright-Patt, are easily accessible via local roads, which in that area are easier to get around on than the highways. Cincinnati is 45 minutes away on I-71.

Oh, and Waynesville is dry, if you enjoy an adult beverage every now and again. But it's a short hop to the nearest pony keg!

Hope this helps.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:43 PM

219 posts, read 893,819 times
If your husband is working at Wright Patt, I'd recommend Centerville or Oakwood depending on whether you like newer or older homes (if you want the best school districts in Dayton). Beavercreek in Dayton is another good choice with newer homes.

Dayton vs. Cincinnati is all about what you want. I've lived both places. Cincinnati has more varied dining and shopping options (though Dayton is improving), plus major league sports, a costly but convenient airport, and more nightlife. Dayton has a bigger arts scene (for a town its size), less traffic (except around the Dayton Mall area), and lower-cost homes. I think Cincinnati is a more attractive town, but that's subjective. People might be slightly friendlier in Dayton (more of a small town feel), but you'll run into a lot more military people here too.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:51 AM

Thanks so much for taking time to give me so much background. That really helps. The concept of a dry community did not even cross my mind! Originally being from small town Ky, I'm all too familiar with "dry" but haven't lived in "dry" for quite awhile. That's funny. Until you'd like to pop out for a bottle of wine, I guess. Thank you again. I'm looking forward to visiting for myself later in the summer.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:33 AM

OK, another queston: Does anyone have information/impressions about Oakwood? I'm all over the map as far as where we should live, obviously. I love my husband, but in regards to where we would like to live, we are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Since we're seeing this as a potential last stop in his Air Force career, we're both a little less willing to compromise. Before, we both had a "we can deal w/ anything for two years mentality". Now, with the real estate market and the potential for this to be somewhat permanent, we're drawing lines in the sand. He wants wide open spaces and nature, and I do too, if my dream house is sitting smack dab in the middle of that idyllic location. But that dream doesn't exist in our price range, at this point. Especially since I'm relocating and will be unemployed for this home purchase. Soooo, if I can't have the house of my dreams in the middle of nowhere, I don't want to BE in the middle of nowhere and would prefer an older established community with character and not cookie cutter homes. My husband translates this into "no excuse for a new John Deere". Ugh! Sorry to vent, but can you tell I'm not looking forward to househunting? I would love to find a great house on a wooded 1 acre lot (at least). Trees are good. So with that laundry list, any thoughts/recommendations would be most appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio