Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 02:28 PM

158 posts, read 433,970 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am freaking out here! I heard that Ohio makes you pay property taxes every 6 months! Is that true? And if it is can someone tell me how much in general property taxes are near Toledo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 05:18 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Yes, as far as I know, property taxes are paid every six months. How much really depends on the exact location.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:25 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
You get billed near the beginning of the year for the full year taxes. You have the option of paying the full year at that time, or just paying the first half, in which case you get billed the second half about 6 months later. There is no savings for paying the whole thing at once, just the convenience of not having to pay twice a year. Most county auditor websites in Ohio allow you to search for information about specific properties. (valuations, tax rates, etc.) If you check the Lucas County Auditor's site, you can probably locate what the taxes are for a specific property.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
You get billed near the beginning of the year for the full year taxes. You have the option of paying the full year at that time, or just paying the first half, in which case you get billed the second half about 6 months later. There is no savings for paying the whole thing at once, just the convenience of not having to pay twice a year. Most county auditor websites in Ohio allow you to search for information about specific properties. (valuations, tax rates, etc.) If you check the Lucas County Auditor's site, you can probably locate what the taxes are for a specific property.

When I looked up some auditor's sites they said that taxes are do twice a year [ Feb. and July ]. How did you find your information and where at? I can not seem to find the same thing even when I look up homes for sale they say "six month tax".

Old 08-23-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Yes, as far as I know, property taxes are paid every six months. How much really depends on the exact location.

Are both six month payments the same amount?

Old 08-24-2009, 04:41 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
^Yes.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:48 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesearch View Post
Hi, I am freaking out here! I heard that Ohio makes you pay property taxes every 6 months! Is that true? And if it is can someone tell me how much in general property taxes are near Toledo?
This site should help give you some answers, this is the Lucas Co. auditor's website (the county in which Toledo is in):

Lucas County, OH - Official Website - Auditor

I know a lot of people in the Toledo area live outside of the city, so if that's the case, just google the surrounding counties (i.e. Wood Co. for Bowling Green, Perrysburg).

Old 08-24-2009, 07:00 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,303,613 times
We own two properties in Toledo. We receive our property tax bills from the county twice a year, and the amounts are identical. The first arrives in late Dec./early Jan. and is due by the end of Jan. The second arrives in late June/early July and is due by the end of July. There is a penalty for paying after the due date. We have owned property in Toledo for over twenty years, and we have never been billed for or been given the option of paying the entire year at once.

Property values in Toledo, like everywhere else, have plummeted over the past few years. Property taxes, sad to say, have not followed suit. For a 12 unit apartment building in a decent, working class neighborhood in NW Toledo that is now worth around $450,000, we pay $12,000/year in property taxes, and that does not include trash pick up. When we bought the building six years ago for $498,000, the property taxes were around $6,000/year. You can go downtown and try to have your taxes lowered, but from what I hear from people who have done that, it isn't usually worth it. Think about it: the worse the economy gets, the fewer people are working and the fewer businesses are succeeding, so the city is taking in less and less money in income tax revenue. How could they possibly cut property taxes right now, when they are already facing a multi-million dollar budget deficit, even though everyone's property values are down and thus, so should their property taxes be.

It's just tough times in Toledo right now, and it stinks.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 6,319 times
what happens if im behind on my taxes a year and a half?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio