U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-08-2010, 10:42 PM

6 posts, read 9,373 times
Default Dayton vs Columbus.....Cost of living...crime....Nightlife...ect

I know that Columbus is alot bigger with way more jobs. Just wanna know others opinions about both of the cities,,,,like which one is more crime ridden, were is the best place to live.Im thinkin bout goin to Columbus state for college and wondering if i can get some advice please.

excuse the ebonics lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-09-2010, 04:48 PM

571 posts, read 475,921 times
Columbus, doesn't even compare.

However, don't just "go there"; if OSU has a major you would like to pursue, choose Columbus. If a college in Dayton has a major you'd like to pursue, choose Dayton.

Unread 02-09-2010, 06:25 PM

343 posts, read 852,442 times
You might be better off posting specific questions in the "Columbus" and "Dayton" forums about the specific colleges you are interested in and what the surrounding areas are like around them.

Unread 02-10-2010, 01:54 PM

1,170 posts, read 2,172,271 times
It sounds like you want to attend community college in one of the cities. C-Bus State is on the list because OSU is nearby and Sinclair because it's the cheapest in the state.

Anyways, credits from either college will transfer quite easily to OSU or other state colleges. Dayton and Columbus each have their own distinct benefits and drawbacks, so please give us more info

Do you want an active party/social scene?
Is cost a major concern?
Are you married/have children?
Are you looking to go to a 4-yr college upon completion?
What do you want most in a city?

Unread 06-23-2010, 02:25 PM

830 posts, read 983,878 times
Here is the way I compare both cities:

Size: Cbus is bigger.
Crime: neutral; I think both cities have both high-crime as well as low-crime areas. In any sense, I would think that Columbus has a better economy overall, and probably gets the nod here.
Cost of Living: Dayton is probably cheaper
Nightlife: Columbus is a bigger town with a large student population (OSU), so I think that Columbus has the edge in this regard
Downtowns: Columbus' is larger and cleaner, and more active

Dayton is essentially a smaller version of Columbus, and both towns have direct parallels with each other

Some comparable items between each town:

Nightlife:
Dayton - Oregon District
Columbus - German Village

Main intersections:
Dayton - 3rd and Main
Columbus - High St and Broad St

Suburbs:
Dayton - Centerville (premier middle class with a colonial flare) and Oakwood (upper class/snobby)
Columbus - Dublin (premier middle class with a colonial flare) and Worthington (upper class/snobby)

Unread 08-24-2011, 06:43 PM

389 posts, read 543,873 times
I have to say that Dayton actually does have a better nightlife.scene. Columbus might have more bars but they are all pretty similar. I would say Dayton has a far more diverse and popular nightlife scene. For example, many Columbosites often travel to Dayton on the weekends and visit Club Masque because its that fantastic. Alot of people from Columbus seem jealous that they don't have such a popular destination. Masque is just one of the good clubs downtown and it was just ranked by Out Magazine "One of the Best Gay Bars in the World".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio