U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 05:54 PM

3,171 posts, read 6,762,668 times

Advertisements

I would say Cleveland or Pittsburgh if you're willing to cross the border. Check out the Pittsburgh board on this forum, people are always comparing it to Seattle and Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 06:07 PM

3,025 posts, read 1,326,263 times
I have a lot of studying to do I guess.

I'd like to keep it in Ohio though.
That Green Necklace thing sounds interesting, I'm going to investigate that later on.

Thanks for all the responses 'thus far'!

Old 03-02-2010, 10:41 PM

2,863 posts, read 2,156,237 times
It's hard to find a place in Ohio with 300 days/year of rain, you are out of luck. Portland is walkable, BUT not that walkable, life without a car is OK if you are one of many of Portland' bums, but it imposes severe limitations otherwise. One things Portland and Ohio have in common - finding a tolerable job is a matter of big luck for your average Joe (even before the bust). Severely developed/plowed Midwest cannot offer abundance of outdoor activities no matter where you go. Columbus is the closest to the less developed SE corner of Ohio, E. KY and WV. Columbus is the least industrial city of the 3, a hub for the undiluted yuppified crowd. Yet, you claim that you are not a "yuppie" who seeks things a typical "sensitive" and "aware" metrosexual yuppie seeks. All I can say good luck. You'll need tonnes of it to find a "sense of community" with people of different social, wealth & professional background.

You have to start to understand that cities (especially big cities) estrange&isolate people, whatever "sense of community" you'll find in a (big)city is 95% (I'll be generous) is "manufactured" and phony, Portland is not an exception. Small towns are just a tad better (frequently, much worse if you are an outsider). It always been that way. It's a price to pay for "civilization".

Old 03-03-2010, 08:16 AM

6,122 posts, read 6,226,473 times
Cleveland all day.

Cleveland > Columbus > Cincy if you want to play in a "real" city and still have access to the outdoors.

Sorry fellow Ohioans.... but someone had to finally say it.

hehehehe

Teasing!

(kinda')

Old 03-03-2010, 11:41 AM

1,128 posts, read 2,032,581 times
you mentioned "public transit" as something you require/desire. cleveland has a good transit system and is the largest/most extensive in the state. imo i think you will experience many positive things in cleveland (culture,people,urban and non-urban). try ohio-city and tremont neighborhoods. cleveland is on its way "back up" in many aspects.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:59 AM

43 posts, read 72,999 times
I use to live in Portland. I would have to say nothing really in Ohio resembles Portland. I would try Pittsburgh if you are looking for outdoor stuff. Maybe Cincy too. At least that city has hills.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:34 PM

13,626 posts, read 10,736,045 times
That's funny. I am aiming to move away from Portland so I am checking out other cities. In fact I am excited about visiting a friend in Cleveland this summer who is going to show me the city. I am hoping it isn't anything like Portland.

Different strokes............

Old 03-03-2010, 01:18 PM

6,122 posts, read 6,226,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm2811 View Post
I use to live in Portland. I would have to say nothing really in Ohio resembles Portland. I would try Pittsburgh if you are looking for outdoor stuff. Maybe Cincy too. At least that city has hills.
Yea, unlike Portland, which would be more like Columbus, we have an ACTUAL BODY OF WATER up here in Cleveland. With like ISLANDS and stuff in it.
And unlike Columbus (not sure about Portland) we have a river that people can actually USE. (I tease a friend that lives in Columbus because they have a BEAUTIFUL river... that is damed up like every ONE MILE. SO it's nice to LOOK at but you can't actually USE the damn thing.)

(All in good fun....)

Old 03-21-2010, 12:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,392 times
The answer is Cleveland. Cleveland is the most diverse city in Ohio, has the best food, is the most sophisticated and is a well kept secret. I lived right on Shaker Square for two years and really enjoyed the city. Very nice place!

The city that most resembles Portland is Pittsburgh. They are roughly the same population, both have a confluence of two rivers with tons of bridges, both have hills/mountains, both have easy access to the outdoors. Portland is more stunning ( I live here now) but Pittsburgh has lots to offer.

From Portland you can see the snow capped peaks of five volcanoes, you can drive 60 miles to Mt. Hood and ski or drive 60 miles the other way and put your foot in the Pacific Ocean. Also, the Columbia River is without a doubt the most beautiful river in the country. Plus, no deer ticks !

Old 03-21-2010, 07:29 AM

3,070 posts, read 7,903,583 times
For me it's a tie between the Cleveland MSA and the Columbus MSA. I think you'll be able to find areas that you like in both.

If we're talking about size, technically Cincinnati is the largest metro in Ohio, but really it's Cleveland by far. Akron should be part of the Cleveland metro (they're bordering counties) and will finally be counted in the 2010 census which will boost the metro to 2.9 million. The NE Ohio region also has about 5.2 million people which is nearly 1/2 the population of the whole state. Columbus/Central Ohio is the fastest growing, although still not as fast as Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio