Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 09:11 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,452,854 times

Advertisements

cleveland's metro is denser because the whole thing has to be in ohio and it's flatter. the fact that dayton is so far makes the impending cinci-dayton 2010 merger so striking. canton should probably be added, but all of ne ohio is a stretch. canton is already a part of the tv market, which is just as important in a lot of ways.

Last edited by hillside; 03-31-2008 at 09:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 11:15 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,284,985 times
If this helps at all (at least for Cleveland's sake), here's a state image of population density:

http://www.urbanohio.com/ChrisPics/D...ngDensity1.jpg

Old 03-31-2008, 12:36 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,923,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
cleveland's metro is denser because the whole thing has to be in ohio and it's flatter. the fact that dayton is so far makes the impending cinci-dayton 2010 merger so striking. canton should probably be added, but all of ne ohio is a stretch. canton is already a part of the tv market, which is just as important in a lot of ways.
Yeah the Cleveland area for the most part is flatter than around Cincinnati. But once you go a little north its still pretty flat. Dayton and Springfield and the areas around that are pretty flat. Also Cleveland has hills too, but they are smaller and mostly on the eastside and between Cleveland and Akron, but Cincinnati definitely has a lot more hills.

Costello_musicman: that map shows it pretty well. You could make an arguement that Youngstown should also be added, but if you look at the map, Cleveland/Akron/Canton areas should no doubt be added together.

But anyways I guess it doesnt really matter. I think everyone sees Cleveland as larger no matter what the numbers say. The Cleveland area is more urban/dense. Cincinnati has a small urban core surrounded by a lot of hills/lower density areas. At least Columbus is still the smallest by a lot.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:49 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,717,810 times
Here is another picture:

Old 03-31-2008, 05:32 PM

the first picture is a little deceiving. nky and se indiana is missing.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:48 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,044 times
cmon hillside, open ur eyes.. so add in some of ky. and ind. in ur minds eye. the first pic clearly shows how dense N.E. ohio is compared to S.W. ohio.. i think the pic also supports the argument that cleve./akron is much more connected then cinci/dayton ,but not considered in clevelands msa ?.. let me ask this,, doesnt the 11-12 most north-eastern counties of the state contain more than a 1/3 of the states population ? and the other 76 counties contain the rest ? anyone feel like checking into that ? and what if we drew a circle with a 60 mile radias around cleveland,cinci and columbus, how would the metros compare? (this would eliminate the argument of who has what and how many counties). just a thought

Old 04-01-2008, 06:12 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,717,810 times
CSA's:

Remember, the last 17 mile stretch of land that disconnected CinDay was recently purchased. In other words ... there will be continual development from the city center of Cincy to the city center in Dayton.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:02 AM

cincy-rise,, great info on the cities comparisons... i still am surprised by how small metro columbus looks ! i would like to point out that your pop.graphs are for the core populations in the respective cities. they are the most dense areas of the larger population graph that costello-musicman posted above. anyone come up with the answers to my questions above ?

Old 04-01-2008, 07:55 AM

you could draw a circle, but all of the metros are shaped differently. finding out how many sq mi are in each metro for that cinti-cleveland-columbus-pgh-stl comparison would be useful.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:46 AM

hillside-good point also.. i am going to try and put this debate to a rest and prove cleveland is the larger metro area in population/development/spawl. FIRST- costello-musicmans view of the pop.density is pretty clear.. but to be fair to your point of some of ky. and ind. missing i propose this.. (hillside, i will bet you some cleveland pierogies for your cincy chilli on this). even though cleveland has no NORTH side , still draw that 60 mile radias around cleveland, cinci and columbus. now someone do the math and add the populations up in that radias. lol. i bet the pop. rankings for the metros will be > #1-cleveland. #2-cincy #3 columbus...... now,, people have posted that its not accurate/fair cincy counts 15 counties to clevelands 5 . (that may b true).. what if we only allow the cities to include their adjoining counties? seem fair? i bet the rankings would be #1-cleve. #2-cincy #3-columbus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio